Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,570,632 times

Advertisements

PARIS – Monday around 6:20 p.m. local time, a fire alarm warned those in the Notre Dame cathedral of fire but none was found. Twenty minutes later smoke was visible pouring from the roof of Notre Dame de Paris as the top of structure was engulfed in flame. By 8:00 p.m. the central spire of the cathedral collapsed.

The devastation of watching the iconic structure that sits at the heart of Paris was reflected in the thoughts of many within the Pagan community as they commented on social media.

850-plus years of history have been witnessed by the Notre Dame walls –the crowning of Henry VI of England as king of France, Mary Queen of Scots was married to Francis II, the coronation of Napolean as Emperor of the French, Joan of Arc was beatified there, and Charles de Gaulle’s funeral was held there.

Despite the events held within its walls, Notre Dame was constructed on a site that has a much longer history. The Gallo-Roman city of Lutetia lies beneath it on Île-de-la-Cité. The Pillar of the Boatmen, discovered in 1710, was erected by the guild of boatmen dating to 1 A.D. and possibly when a temple to the Roman god Jupiter was on the site. The pillar also bears the image of Cernunnos and directly named him.

https://wildhunt.org/2019/04/pagans-...K2WXVFPY5o5050

Haven’t been on this side of the forum in a while but after reading this I thought it would be an interesting topic here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 08:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Well, there's multiple threads on CD about this, including one in R&S and another in Christianity.

I think the pagan reaction would mirror that of most people: sadness at the potential loss of irreplaceable art and centuries-old architecture.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Well, there's multiple threads on CD about this, including one in R&S and another in Christianity.

I think the pagan reaction would mirror that of most people: sadness at the potential loss of irreplaceable art and centuries-old architecture.
I know some from I’ve read here and there on the internet feel differently about the the fire. From a Pagan Point of view it was nice to know they were being respectful about it. I know some pagans personally who were NOT respectful about the fire.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:05 PM

88,732 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
PARIS – Monday around 6:20 p.m. local time, a fire alarm warned those in the Notre Dame cathedral of fire but none was found. Twenty minutes later smoke was visible pouring from the roof of Notre Dame de Paris as the top of structure was engulfed in flame. By 8:00 p.m. the central spire of the cathedral collapsed.

The devastation of watching the iconic structure that sits at the heart of Paris was reflected in the thoughts of many within the Pagan community as they commented on social media.

850-plus years of history have been witnessed by the Notre Dame walls –the crowning of Henry VI of England as king of France, Mary Queen of Scots was married to Francis II, the coronation of Napolean as Emperor of the French, Joan of Arc was beatified there, and Charles de Gaulle’s funeral was held there.

Despite the events held within its walls, Notre Dame was constructed on a site that has a much longer history. The Gallo-Roman city of Lutetia lies beneath it on Île-de-la-Cité. The Pillar of the Boatmen, discovered in 1710, was erected by the guild of boatmen dating to 1 A.D. and possibly when a temple to the Roman god Jupiter was on the site. The pillar also bears the image of Cernunnos and directly named him.

https://wildhunt.org/2019/04/pagans-...K2WXVFPY5o5050

Haven’t been on this side of the forum in a while but after reading this I thought it would be an interesting topic here.
I was there in November of 2015, and I read up on the early history of Paris. It is where the settlement of the people known as the Parisii began a couple of hundred years BCE, and then when the Romans conquered the Parisii, they built their fort and later city there. Did not know about the artifacts you mentioned, though.

Unfortunately, I was only outside Notre Dame while taking a walking tour, since I had only two nights in Paris. We didn't go inside at the time because the tour had to continue. I was traveling with my daughter, who went back to Paris three weeks ago for an academic conference. She texted me "I went inside Notre Dame this time--it's really beautiful!" Now she is extra glad she did.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 PM

5,857 posts, read 5,303,215 times
While watching the devastation unfolding-especially when the spiral fell, THIS Pagan shed a few tears. Not being a Christian but I am a historian. I really hate to see something with so much history behind it literally go up in smoke. (I think I also shed a few tears when the Taliban destroyed all those Buddhas in Afghanistan a few decades ago.)

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism