Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 03:02 PM

29 posts, read 15,321 times

Advertisements

Ya I reckon its better to rely on yourself rather than a book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 01:57 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
that would be an individual's reasons and not one for anyone else to decide is rubbish or not. People buy them for different reasons. I have a friend who loves collecting all different decks. I don't know if she uses all of them, though.

I bought a Rider-Waite deck when I took a basic reading course because that's what was required for the class.

I didn't buy another until one day one really caught my eye--a Crow Tarot deck. I love crows, along with other birds, and I feed them regularly, so I bought that one. It has a great eight-card "crow spread" that's roughly in the shape of a bird with wings and a head. I've gotten quite a bit out of that deck. It's the one for me.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crow-Tarot-Mj-...58565917&psc=1

I haven't had an urge to run out and buy any more, though.

But to your remark about all the You-tubers: I took the basic class because I wanted to learn to read the cards for my own personal use. However, I was surprised that at least half the people in the class planned to try to do professional readings. Since they were just now learning the basics and history of the deck and the artwork in the Rider-Waite, that seemed odd to me. I would think someone would have to develop skills over time in order to become a reader. I wonder if any of them had any success.
That is a concern. It does take time. It's not only odd to start reading right away, it's rather foolish in my opinion. I've been studying it since the early 90's and there is always something to learn. I love seeing the take of other readers. They often see things I haven't and vice versa. Same with astrology. What I love about the tarot and astrology community is that I have witnessed no squabbling about meanings. Everybody in the esoteric community knows that a lot of what learning entails is collaboration.

When I have professionally read for people (astrology) I always included tarot but only after I'd been working with it for a few years. It fleshes out the reading. Sometimes I used numerology as well. Again, it gives a more complete picture.

I'm kind of on the fence about the plethora of decks. Art is subjective and means something to someone. I just ignore the ones that don't speak to me, and quite frankly since I started studying I'm astounded at the numbers of them these days. I think it's wise for beginners to stick to Rider-Waite, Goddess Tarot Deck and the Crow deck (been checking it out thanks to you MQ).

Old 01-04-2023, 02:20 PM

39 posts, read 20,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesevar View Post
Personal disclosure: I like the tarot of marseille deck and find it to be of historical interest. I have noticed all sorts of decks being published and lots of you tubers buying all these decks as professional tarot readers.

So my question is with the rise in tarot decks do you feel there is any reason to buy a newly published deck or are most of them rubbish?
Card decks come across as magic trick instruments. To access and get into the spirit world you would need to connect to a spirit. I have seen a tarot card show in action on request and it proved that perception is bliss. The only problem is that knowing something does change outcome of events, unless you decide to change the events through personal actions and choices.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:48 PM

229 posts, read 439,679 times
I received my first Tarot deck 45 years ago, and I still use/keep the book at hand. Not only do I sometimes need a refresher as to what the 5's are fighting, it helps to be able to show the person getting the reading that it says some specific thing.

My favorite deck is a Yaeger Meditation deck that I've owned for over 30 years. I've got two different Rider Waites (one is gilded) and a few others that I've picked up at a good price, but rarely use. In the past 15 years, I've added runes, I Ching, Oracle cards (created by a local artist), Moonology, Godmother Oracle ... So many choices these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism