Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,895,257 times

Advertisements

In the fine traditions of 'Ask an Athiest!' and 'Ask a Jew'!, this is Ask a Wiccan!

We do many things that some would consider 'strange' -- even 'frightening' if the observer doesn't know what they're watching.

This thread will answer most of your questions. I say 'most of' because I'm far from an absolute authority on Wicca, and paganism in general. Therefore, I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability, but I welcome contributions from the other Wiccans and pagans here.

One thing I *do* ask is that we at least *attempt* to keep the thread on topic and respectful: it's a place to answer questions, not debate the accuracy, age, or source of the religion.

To that end, I'll kick things off by immediately answering several of the most popular (and infamous) of questions:

Wicca is not a 'do whatever you want' religion: we actually do have structured ritual elements in our ceremonies and circles. My roomie likes to bug me about that; she can't understand the use of ritual in my faith.

Wicca is *not* devil-worship. The devil is a construct of the Christian and other religious paths; Wicca is not one of those other paths. This doesn't mean we're immoral, it just means that we're moral with a different set of guidelines.

Modern Wicca is only around 50 years old. Not twelve hundred, not sixty thousand --*fifty*, five-zero. We're a relatively good-natured lot, but this one (based on works by writers such as Margaret Murray) has started to make us groan, and we'd rather not have to restate it every second page!

And finally, before I send this thread out into the Great Electronic Ether:

As Hagrid told Harry Potter, 'Not all wizards are good'. And not all Wiccans are angels, either. Some are violent, manipulative, even abusive. Many of them go to prison claiming to be 'Wiccan'; while I'm not prepared to comment on the validity of the claim in such circumstances, I *will* freely admit that, yes, we *do* get some bad apples.

In closing, I apologize for the length of this intro thread -- I simply don't want it to get bogged down by a lot of back-and-forth 'you're-evil-no-we're-not' arguments.

May whatever god or gods you revere watch over you, now and for the rest of your days.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 07:08 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,671,846 times
First off let me welcome you to the fourm, and then let me explain that from what my niece tells me, who is also Wicca, that I believe your beliefs are along the same familiar line as the Native American beliefs, I guess this is why her and I get along so well, we are in constant communication with each other even though were hundreds of miles apart. I liked the first rule that you have has a Wicca, and that is, first and foremost to do no harm, as an individual that has grown up in the native culture this is a good rule to go by, I look forward to hearing more from you and learning. osay

Old 03-15-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
First off let me welcome you to the fourm, and then let me explain that from what my niece tells me, who is also Wicca, that I believe your beliefs are along the same familiar line as the Native American beliefs, I guess this is why her and I get along so well, we are in constant communication with each other even though were hundreds of miles apart. I liked the first rule that you have has a Wicca, and that is, first and foremost to do no harm, as an individual that has grown up in the native culture this is a good rule to go by, I look forward to hearing more from you and learning. osay
Thank you for your warm welcome! I've been here for a while, lurking for the most part, but occasionally posting.

I hope that I can answer any questions that might come up.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,467,443 times
I have a friend who is Wiccan and I like the things she has told me. I can relate to a belief system that has a male god and a female god. I was raised in a patriarchal religion where women were below their husband

Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 PM

Personally, I like the concept of 'cycles': nothing ever 'ends', it's all part of a larger circle.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,790,325 times
Welcome. I have to admit, I have always been leary of the term wiccan. Thanks for sheding some enlightment.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Welcome. I have to admit, I have always been leary of the term wiccan. Thanks for sheding some enlightment.
Thank you! It's always nice to see a mind that's willing to learn.

Ask any questions that might come to mind, and I'll answer them, if I can.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:05 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,943,606 times
It really is a shame that wiccans keep being confused with certain types of satanist. The fundamentalists keep going on about teaching all sides in school but tell them their kids are going to hear about Wicca and they'll soon be turning pentagrams upside down and drawing little horns on them to use as "proof" that the devil is involved

Old 03-16-2008, 02:46 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,336,411 times
I've heard that many times about Wiccans being Satanic in nature and one girl at my job, years ago was very interested in Wicca and told me so much about it. I think people think it's satanic because they see it as pulling away from christianity and other organized and more "acceptable" religions. Like the OP said there are good and bad people in all religious and non religious groups. The thing is Satanists are not violent, they believe in "harm no one", only some very violent people say they are Satanists and drag it in the mud.
There are so many opinions based on ignorance. That'll never change.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:47 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,272,108 times
I have a good friend who is neo-pagan, not strictly Wiccan. My understanding is Satan does not exist in the neo-pagan pantheon, so how can they be devil worshippers? Satanists are perverse Christians, Muslims, Jews, or Zoroastrians as those are the religions who believe in him.

If I could believe in a deity, the neo-pagan paths make more sense to me than the more widespread Levantan religions. I cannot see how a guiding principal such as If you do no harm to anyone (including oneself), do what you will, can be evil. NOT! It seems like a very good way to structure morality. I also like the celebration of the earth's rythyms. It is more meaningful to me to tie holidays and celebrations to the life cycles of the earth upon which we all depend. My friend ties some Native American beliefs into her system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism