Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I wish they would push more adults to get boosters. I'm not saying that is the problem here, but it would help, considering there are adults out there that would be willing to do so but don't really think about it b/c its thought of by a lot of people as a "childhood" immunization.

Mine are immunized against it.

I have my 40yr old "big" physical coming up and I think I am going to ask about it. I know they are telling parents of young children to get it now, and since I have 3 in school, and my fourth is turning 3 and will be around more and more children, I think I am better off boosting my immunity to it for sure, since they love to share with me every microbe they manage to bring home.
But it would help; it would help termendously & that is one of the concerns about pertussis. Infants take time to be immunized against this; in some cases won't be completely immunized until 12 months. An infant w/ pertussis is about as close to life threatening as we can get right now.

And it helps the adults as we are getting all the fun stuff they bring home.

Again, such serious things as pertussis are a far cry from the head cold that goes through the whole family in a weekend.

Another one is shingles but I am not sure about the age on that one. I believe that is 65 & older & most of us on here have some time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:54 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
In regard to booster shots for adults, this is an article about a new mother who passed along the bacteria to her newborn son, who later died of pertussis. Awful.
Whooping cough still with us, still dangerous - latimes.com

Old 06-25-2010, 11:56 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,863 times
I'm all for vaccinating my children as well. I did modify the schedule slightly, (like for the Hep B) but overall all vaccines will be given before my child starts kindergarten.

But for the pertussis one, isn't the first vaccine given around 12-15 months? Or am I wrong? It seems a little late with the warranted worry that's spreading.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
But for the pertussis one, isn't the first vaccine given around 12-15 months? Or am I wrong? It seems a little late with the warranted worry that's spreading.
Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Vaccine and Immunization Information
Quote:
Most infants and children younger than seven years of age should receive DTaP beginning at two months of age.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Yeah, I think the schedule was three times in the first year and then DTaP #4 sometime before age 4, but I can't remember now. I think the only one that did not start til 12-15 mos was the MMR and varicella.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
History of the vaccine schedules:

http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/div...c.jsp?id=75700 (broken link)

And here's a history of the schedules I put together, also keep in mind, I was born in 1945 and the only vaccines being given then were DPT and smallpox. The polio vaccine didn't come in until 1955 (dead vaccine) and the oral vaccine was tested in 1957 and then licensed in 1962.

Immunization Timeline and the History of Vaccines - Keep Kids Healthy

History of Vaccine Schedule | The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

In 1983, we gave children from birth to 6 a total of 10 vaccines. Smallpox was actually eliminated as a routine vaccination in the US.
In 2007, we gave children from birth to 6 a total of 36 vaccines.

While I agree that children need to be immunized, I think things have gotten out of hand. Why to babies need Hep B, for example? If the mother has HEP B (and testing the mothers should be done), then she can transmit it to her baby, but otherwise, most babies are *not* at risk. This one should be delayed (perhaps until school age).

I would not want my child to get Gardasil yet. It is too new and I am very skeptical of the claims to protect against cervical cancer.

I see no reason why a delayed schedule with one shot at a time is not preferable to this huge experiment with our kids. At least if they have a single shot, you can pinpoint the problem if they have a reaction.

Dorothy

Old 06-25-2010, 06:18 PM

61 posts, read 175,031 times
Unfortunately, the pertussis component of the DTaP vaccine is the most unreliable. Researchers estimate that the pertussis component is only 70-80% effective at preventing disease, because it is an inactivated vaccine.
Add to that, you can carry subclinical pertussis and unknowingly pass it on to an unprotected child/infant and you have problems with communicability. Pertussis is one of those diseases that will probably be circulating for a long time to come.
Here's an interesting tidbit straight from the CDC:
The increase in reported pertussis cases has occurred despite pertussis vaccination coverage levels that are higher than at any time in the past. The proportion of children aged 19-35 months who had received three or more doses of whole-cell DTP or diphtheria and tetanus toxoids vaccine (DT) reached 93% in 1994 (11). (Of those vaccinated, less than 2% are estimated to have received DT {CDC, unpublished data}.) Possible explanations of this increase in disease include a) decreased vaccine efficacy, b) waning immunity among adolescents and adults vaccinated during childhood, c) increased diagnosis and reporting of pertussis because of greater awareness among physicians about the disease, and d) enhanced surveillance and more complete reporting in some states (12,13).

Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
It's not just about vaccination - although that would be helpful. This wouldn't be a problem if people wouldn't send their sick kids into school and/or daycare when they're ill. But everyone's so concerned about getting a "perfect attendance" award...

Whenever the subject of "perfect attendance" comes up in RL, I make it plain that the ONLY children with perfect attendance are those with parents who don't care about them enough to spend 5 minutes with them in the morning before foisting them off onto the world. I'm not talking about throwing them in a high chair and putting a piece of toast in front of them while talking on the cell phone or yelling from another room for them to get up while running out the door... I mean actually having a few minutes of FACE TIME with their child in the morning.

The child who sat behind my daughter in 1st grade once threw up on her within a few minutes of the start of the school day. She had a fever of 105. It took her parents over an hour to get to the school to pick her up. Her mom's excuse for sending a sick kid to school? Well, she and her dh leave for work early and their 9 year old son walked her 6 year old daughter to school everyday. The two "parents" couldn't handle the responsibility of getting their kids to school each morning, but they expected their NINE year old to be able to do so.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:51 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Good God I hate perfect attendance awards. Our school suspended them this year b/c they wanted to encourage parents to keep kids that were starting to get sick home b/c of the H1N1 scare.

Um, shouldn't we encourage parents to keep sick kids home anyway?

Being fortunate enough to not get the gastrointestinal virus of the season is award enough.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Another one is shingles but I am not sure about the age on that one. I believe that is 65 & older & most of us on here have some time
Don't count on that. While it's most common in those over sixty, stress or immune insufficiency can also trigger outbreaks. The good news is that most people never have more than one episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting