Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

As temperatures across the country rise, so to have the number deaths of children left or trapped inside sweltering automobiles.

Eighteen children have died across the country since the beginning of the year, eight of them in just the past 12 days, a record setting number of deaths for the first six months of the year since such data began being collected in 1998.

More Children Dying in Hot, Unattended Cars in the Summer - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,042 times
My car doors are ALWAYS locked, but I can remember when very young I played in the family car a few times. Trunks are another place that attracks kids.

I can't imagine leaving a baby in the back and forgetting he's there.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
Parents who leave their kids in hot cars should be placed in a really hot car themselves, lock the doors and be left there.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
My theory on this is that it has a lot to do with putting a baby in the backseat alone and the practice of locking a car tight, keeping windows rolled up, the paranoia over theft of material things. And toddlers can get inside a car, play and fall asleep.

When mine were little, I never ever put windows up all the way. I'd rather lose a car than lose a child.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,473,524 times
This happens every single year. Jerks who "forget" their baby was in the backseat. Selfish morons who just need to run in the store for "a minute" and the kid suffocates in the car.

I believe the punishment for these jerks should be a slow death locked in a hot car on a 95* day. Let them feel and suffer what the child had to feel and suffer.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:07 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I don't want to punish a parent who accidently left their child in a car. I understand completely how it could happen, especially with a new parent. I remember getting up from reading a book one day while I was on maternity leave, walking by my sleeping babies room, and being SHOCKED that I had temporarily forgotten about having a baby! My brain really wasn't working up to speed and getting lost in a good book didn't help.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,473,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't want to punish a parent who accidently left their child in a car. .

Anyone who is so self absorbed that they "accidentally" leave a baby in a car seat while they run into a store or go to work shouldn't be a parent.

The ones who are worse are the jerks who are too lazy to take the kid out of the car while they "run in for a minute".

As for your situation? I don't think you "forgot" you had a child. When you first have a baby, your mind does get foggy at time and, like you said, you were all consumed in your book. I doubt you would have "forgotten" your child in a car seat while you were going to the grocery store

Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 AM

705 posts, read 1,760,028 times
please read the following pulitzer prize winning article about this horrible subject. It is a difficult read, but it will make you think twice about who these people are who could forget their babies, and how this happens.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times
While I've never left my child in the car by accident, I understand how it can happen, especially with a newborn. You're really sleep-deprived, you aren't used to having a baby in the car or there is another change in routine...I get it and I don't think that the parent should pay the rest of their life in prison when they obviously will be doing so emotionally.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
While I've never left my child in the car by accident, I understand how it can happen, especially with a newborn. You're really sleep-deprived, you aren't used to having a baby in the car or there is another change in routine...I get it and I don't think that the parent should pay the rest of their life in prison when they obviously will be doing so emotionally.
I also can understand how it can happen and am thankful it didn't happen to me. I took my son to preschool when he was younger. I put him in the car, buckled him up and proceeded to his school. I don't know how but after about 20 minutes on my way to work I turned around and I forgot to drop him off. It is the only time its ever happened but it did scare me. How could I forget my child in the backseat?

I'm not a bad parent but mistakes happen. If you knowingly leave a child in a hot car then you should be punished. But sometimes accidents happen.

I know its easy to cast blame on everyone this has happened too but I don't think you really can be so quick to judge. As parents we have all done things that have endangered our kids at some point. We were just fortunate that nothing happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting