Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:57 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times

Advertisements

Two of my kids have birthdays within 2 weeks of each other. Is it ok to just do one big party or do I really need to have 1 birthday party and then a second one 2 weeks later. I am planning to invite about 20 people.
I am leaning towards just doing one party and when they are old enough to understand/remember thier party do separate parties.
Not sure what to do.
My kids will be 3 and 1. I know the first birthday is a big deal and I hope its ok to combine them. I was also just going to do 1 cake for both.

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-05-2010 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
One party is fine. Have fun!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
My brother and I have our birthdays one week apart, our parents only did one party for the both of us, and it never was a big deal for us!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I think it could be really fun. I always combined my birthday was labor day and my sister usually combined hers with easter depending on where easter fell. This was for family parties obviously friends dont want to come over on easter.

Me and my "lover" have birthdays two days apart and something about saying "what should we do for our birthday" is just fun. We celebrate it on the day between so its really no ones birthday.

If you don't want to get two cakes you could make cupcakes. Can you tell I work in event planning Iget to excited for parties

Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
It isn't up to anyone other than you and your kids whether it is "ok". some people don't have parties for their kids. Especially in these cutting back times, having one party is better than none. And I'm sure the invitees will appreciate only one.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
To me it really depends on the ages of the kids. My wife and I have a big thing about making sure each kid has a seperate birthday and not combining events, especially for milestone birthday's or major things. My youngest and my oldest are a little less than 3 weeks apart. I couldn't imagine having the babies first birthday and just having an extra cake or something for my sons 6th. To top it off my dad's birthday is the day after my sons, but at his age he made it understood that his was no longer important and my son should be the one focused on, lol.

My family always did the combined thing and while it makes financial sense, it does suck. My oldest nephew and I have our birthday's 3 days apart and we ALWAYS had a combined party. Same deal for my brothers who are a week apart. Heck, my family likes to combine birthday's, graduation's, retirement's, anniversary's, etc. into one big party. My wife's family on the other hand always endeavored to have seperate parties for each person.

In your situation I would do a cake and presents for immediate family on each childs birthday and then you could just have a combined party for a larger group in between their birthdays. That way each kid gets something special, but you still get to save on the hassle of a big party.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
I just didn't want the kids to feel bad. but then I thought they are too young to understand or even want their own special day. I think when they are older lI will do separate parties as it could effect their self-esteem if they don't get their own day. I was also thinking of the guests. I wouldn't want to have to cancel all my plans for 2 weekends in one month in order to go to 2 separate parties.
My daughter will be 3 and her sister will be 1. The first party is a big thing and hopefully it won't be a bad thing to combine them. I should have mentioned this in the first post.

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-05-2010 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 AM

212 posts, read 687,197 times
I would do one party. Since all the invitees are the same people, I'd rather block one day on my calendar than 2. I also agree when they get into school age, then I can see having separate parties because they will have their own friends to invite. But by then you can ask them if they want to have their parties together. I can see how some kids would and wouldn't, depending on how close they are.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
I think they're too young to care. 1st birthdays are a big deal for the parents, not the baby - and at three I don't think they really get it yet either. So just go with the one, if that's the direction you're leaning towards... I also agree that the invitees would appreciate not having to tie up their time with two parties so close together in the same household. Don't worry, I really don't think either kid is going to feel bad, parties are a foreign concept to them this stage in their lives, and are more for the adults anyway.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Lisalan,

When I was growing up, my parents didn't do 'birthday parties' on a regular basis. I had ONE when I was in elementary school. We usually had a special family dinner celebration with the immediate household members. My mother would make our favorite food at our request. (I always wanted spaghetti because my Mom made the most amazing spaghetti.) The dinner was followed by blowing out candles on a cake and one birthday gift.

I see no reason you can't continue to combined their big birthday parties even when they are older, if you also acknowledge their own special day by creating a tradition with just the family living in the household, similar to what my parent's did, on their actual birthdays too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting