Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,734,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfriedkasei View Post
At my high school, PE is mandatory through 12th grade.

And FWIW, I also don't think a lot of kids - and high schoolers are kids - are capable of really minding most piercings properly. One of my best friends in high school was the valedictorian who is currently in veterinary school, and she had her belly button pierced in 10th grade. That thing never healed right because she was flake-y, not exceptionally so, and took care of it when she remembered.

Yes, there are some fastidious teenagers who will do everything correctly, but many won't, which is why there are laws in place. Piercings are easy ways for infections to take hold in the body, especially in difficult-to-clean places like the belly button and highly-visible-and-vulnerable places like the face.

Piercings in and of themselves are not dangerous, but you combine open wounds with teenagers, sports, and lack of attention ... I dunno, it just doesn't seem worth the risk!
Thank you so much for your sensibility. So many young people (and some adults) are ignorant when it comes to possible consequences of their actions. Of course MRSA or Necrotizing fasciaitis could NEVER happen to them! They're too smart for that to happen. LOL .......but then, I'm only a nurse, far too stupid to know anything about those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,652,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My sister had a "monroe" Which is piercing the space between your nose and lip like a marilyn monroe mole. That doesn't ever completely heal over. And now she really really regrets it that she has a permanent hole in her face.
I had a monroe for a couple of years, and it healed over fine. I have a little tiny dot (like a pin prick) that you don't even notice. Everyone heals differently. I also had my ears stretched and now I wear much smaller earrings and you can't tell there was ever a 1/2" hole in my ears. Maybe I'm just a good healer

Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
My opinions on tatoos and peircings depends entirely on the specific tatoo and piercing choices that match specific lifestyles.

I used to be anti-tatoo, but I admit that there are people who have beautiful tatoos, truly like art on their bodies.

Some of those sleeves and half sleeves can be stunning, while others are just tacky.

It all depends on the art itself and the canvass. Some people's bodies look fantastic with tatoos.

People who are overweight and out of shape simply look strange IMO with tatoos.

Lifestyle in an important consideration. I think it's tacky for a business woman to have a tatoo on her ankle if she plans to wear skirts and dresses at work.

Tattoos have no business in the professional workplace, but there are many other types of careers and lifestyles where tatoos are appropriate.

I guess for me it comes down to moderation and true artwork. I can't undersand people who tatoo their entire face. I think those people must hate themselves.

I can accept some piercings. Belly button, nose, normal ear piercings. I can't understand the big holes in people's ears. Peircings on lips and eyebrows look stupid to me.

And I hate when people have multiple piercings on their ears. I can understand maybe two on the lobe, not not multiple ones surrounding the entire ear.

Women who wear 15 ear rings per ear look trashing and tasteless to me.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,980,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My opinions on tatoos and peircings depends entirely on the specific tatoo and piercing choices that match specific lifestyles.

I used to be anti-tatoo, but I admit that there are people who have beautiful tatoos, truly like art on their bodies.

Some of those sleeves and half sleeves can be stunning, while others are just tacky.

It all depends on the art itself and the canvass. Some people's bodies look fantastic with tatoos.

People who are overweight and out of shape simply look strange IMO with tatoos.

Lifestyle in an important consideration. I think it's tacky for a business woman to have a tatoo on her ankle if she plans to wear skirts and dresses at work.

Tattoos have no business in the professional workplace, but there are many other types of careers and lifestyles where tatoos are appropriate.

I guess for me it comes down to moderation and true artwork. I can't undersand people who tatoo their entire face. I think those people must hate themselves.

I can accept some piercings. Belly button, nose, normal ear piercings. I can't understand the big holes in people's ears. Peircings on lips and eyebrows look stupid to me.

And I hate when people have multiple piercings on their ears. I can understand maybe two on the lobe, not not multiple ones surrounding the entire ear.

Women who wear 15 ear rings per ear look trashing and tasteless to me.
I agree on most of this.
Gauges are gross, multiple piercings look stupid.

Although I do think some lip piercings suit some people very well.

And a lot of cops have tattoos, some are covered some are not its pretty lax around here.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:57 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,495,294 times
I told both of my boys (no girls) that I really don't care about appearances. As long as they had all A's and B's, and were not in trouble....I don't care about hair, piercings, tatts...none of that. A good child is a good child, no matter what they look like.

*I know that they wouldn't get tattoos where you can see them because their school wouldn't allow it, but if they wanted to get a hidden tattoo, once they were 16, they would pay for it, but it would determine on grades and their behavior.

Same thing with ears. Same thing with dying hair.

However, if I had a daughter....I would not let her get her bellybutton pierced until she was 18. Young girls only get their belly button pierced to show it off. Which means low rider pants, above the belly shirt, or both. Unfortunately, girls also get a nick name of ****, tramp, or whatever, for things like that when they're young, regardless of whether they are or not.......so that is another reason why I wouldn't let my daughter get it that young.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
I told both of my boys (no girls) that I really don't care about appearances. As long as they had all A's and B's, and were not in trouble....I don't care about hair, piercings, tatts...none of that. A good child is a good child, no matter what they look like.

*I know that they wouldn't get tattoos where you can see them because their school wouldn't allow it, but if they wanted to get a hidden tattoo, once they were 16, they would pay for it, but it would determine on grades and their behavior.

However, if I had a daughter....I would not let her get her bellybutton pierced until she was 18. Young girls only get their belly button pierced to show it off. Which means low rider pants, above the belly shirt, or both. Unfortunately, girls also get a nick name of ****, tramp, or whatever, for things like that when they're young, regardless of whether they are or not.......so that is another reason why I wouldn't let my daughter get it that young.
No one wears belly shirts, except Melissa Joan Hart in Sabrina but that's a tv show, in the 90's, you know when those shirts were worn...I don't think that I have ever seen anyone wearing an above the belly shirt.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 PM

268 posts, read 454,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No one wears belly shirts, except Melissa Joan Hart in Sabrina but that's a tv show, in the 90's, you know when those shirts were worn...I don't think that I have ever seen anyone wearing an above the belly shirt.
When I stop and think about it, the 90's were hideous.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 PM

852 posts, read 1,366,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post

I have a thing about belly button rings too. To me, they always just seem a little trashy, but I think I'm a product of my generation. Younger generations see it differently.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I have a thing about belly button rings too. To me, they always just seem a little trashy, but I think I'm a product of my generation. Younger generations see it differently.
The rings look dumb.
I have mine done and its the curved thingy, it look really cute it just looks like two studs or something.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 PM

852 posts, read 1,366,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
The rings look dumb.
I have mine done and its the curved thingy, it look really cute it just looks like two studs or something.
I don't like belly button piercings in general, but I fully understand that it's an age-based bias and that I'm not at all with the times as far as piercings go.

I do, however, love nose piercings (little diamond studs) and have contemplated getting one for my 44th birthday. My older daughter is terrified that I will actually do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting