Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:07 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Actually I was planning on buying the turduken already made, just heat it up.

It is quite expensive and a lot of meat, that's why we never did it before. But I've found places you can buy 1/2 a turduken, along with sides, that would be worth considering.

I just want to do something different this year, that's all. Also, I don't feel up to the whole cooking thing, since I'm still having problems with my back.

The ski trip is a youth group package, they take a bus there, stay in a condo, its all inclusive. I think it would be a good experience for them.

We probably won't be in this house this time next year, we're just renting here. Hopefully by next Fall we will be in more permanent quarters. I just thought it would be nice to have something unique to this house, since we will only be here once.

I've found Christmas meals to be the most economical, when you figure in the leftovers, you have food for several days. Whatever, I just think the Santa down the chimney is a bit much for now.I will probably do like someone else suggested, let the ski trip be the main present, wrap up some other stuff (like Axe), just to have something under the tree.

Another thought to consider---the way my kids grow, anything I buy them at Christmas probably won't fit by March! Perhaps gift cards to Academy, or lands End, etc, someplace to buy ski clothes! Last year I couldn't keep ds in shoes, I'd no sooner buy him a pair then he'd outgrow them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think they cost that much if you buy it already made, but if you make it yourself it shouldn't cost that much. I spent extra because I paid the butcher to debone the birds, but even then it wasn't that much money. Of course, I was feeding 20 people so nothing I bought was going to be cheap.
Yeah, in that case, it's going to add up. I'm in favor of a big Christmas dinner too. It's such a part of it that I don't like to skimp if there's no need to. I had a great standing rib roast one year that was pretty expensive, but it was really worth it, and we had fantastic sandwiches for leftovers, and didn't get sick of it.

I don't think a turducken is over the top, either. You were very brave making your own.

If a person's not having troubles meeting other obligations, and their family is going to appreciate all the work they put into it, then why the he** not?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
I'd like to vote a total "Yes" to the ski trip as being part of their gifts. Get them out into the fresh air.

Do they ski now? I almost look on skiing as a skill that helps you in life. I made a lot of work/job contacts on ski trips and met a lot of great people.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I guess it's kind of expensive but the OP is talking about Christmas dinner. I had a friend in NY who used to invite us for Christmas dinner and they always had very high end food (he liked to cook). I assumed that is was common for people to have a fancy Christmas dinner. Anyway it's just a turkey a chicken and a duck. It's not that over the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't think a turducken is over the top, either. You were very brave making your own.

If a person's not having troubles meeting other obligations, and their family is going to appreciate all the work they put into it, then why the he** not?
Sounds delicious, MommaBear!

It just seemed to be ambitious for the OP who wants to scale back and save money this year. That's the only reason I commented on the expense.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sounds delicious, MommaBear!

It just seemed to be ambitious for the OP who wants to scale back and save money this year. That's the only reason I commented on the expense.
Actually a turduken isn't overly ambitious or costly, I plan to buy one ready-prepared, also, you can get 1/2, the cost isn't a whole lot more than other traditional Christmas dinners. Heavens, you didn't think I planned to make that thing myself? Some things are best left ot the professionals!

Or maybe I will just stick with the traditional, whatever..........was just planning ahead.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:01 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
In our family I always have Thanksgiving at our house, I cook the turkey and most of the sides. My mom brings her wonderful lemon meringue pie and other desserts. We get out the good china and silverware and wine glasses for the tea. Put on a table cloth and everything.. For Christmas Mama cooks a turkey and a ham and the sides. I bring a couple of desserts but she will make the pie anyway cause my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I usually make some homemade bread or rolls too.
My husband LOVES to decorate so the girls and him do the lights on the outside of the house...go for broke!!!
For gifts several years ago I when they started getting older and their toys started getting pricier I made a new tradition. The girls are 13 and 17 now. They get a WHOLE OUTFIT. Shirt, pants, undies (package), bra, socks (package), shoes/boots, and if we have money left over a jacket/coat. They get to pick all of it out with an eye on their budget (trying for under $100 each) and the realization that if they have money left over sometimes they get two toys... or a CD or something extra. They make me a list of their top 5 picks what they want for Christmas. Then number 1-5 with #1 being "I want it the most" and #5 being "I would like it but I can live without it". They might get something 1-3.. probably will. But depending on the cost, I will try to get something on the list. IF IF IF I still have money left, and this is a HUGE if because now I am out $300, closer to $400... I might get them a surprise. I also make them a stocking. Earrings, lip gloss, make-up, under $20 each usually.
Hubby and I try to find something the other one would like for under $50 each. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it don't.
It really depends on how the bills have been going, how the income has been flowing, if we have had to do unexpected repairs on the house/car. Things like that.

The only other thing is I told my girls when they decided that Santa isn't real in Oklahoma (for txtqueen).... if you don't believe in him he won't bring you any STUFF..so you better be convincing at least to me!!! I mean we ALL KNOW the Mall Santa is fake.. and the one in front of Wal Mart ringing the bell...but in spirit???? OH YEAH!!!! Santa is DA MAN around here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting