Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times

Advertisements

Also research lactose overload which is actually often misdiagnosed as reflux or colic. I actually think this was what my son had, as he was born so big due to gestational diabetes but his body wasn't ready to handle the amount of food he needed to sustain himself. Lactose sensitive formula is a good option for those babies that are suffering from lactose overload. And it's certainly cheaper than the hypoallergenic formulas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Also research lactose overload which is actually often misdiagnosed as reflux or colic. I actually think this was what my son had, as he was born so big due to gestational diabetes but his body wasn't ready to handle the amount of food he needed to sustain himself. Lactose sensitive formula is a good option for those babies that are suffering from lactose overload. And it's certainly cheaper than the hypoallergenic formulas!
Lactose was and is still a problem for my dd as well. Pasteurization kills lactase and other digestive enzymes making lactose difficult for many babies (and people in general) to digest. My dd could tolerate lactose in breast milk because it was in it's raw form with all digestive enzymes present. She couldn't however tolerate my milk when I was consuming pasteurized dairy products. She's now 4 years old and still can't tolerate milk, yogurt, sour cream and many cheeses. She can tolerate raw milk cheese and most aged cheese.

I'm guessing that they add the enzyme lactase to the lactose sensitive formulas. I think it's great that that option is available as it seems to be a fairly common problem and many times babies who are sensitive to cow's milk are also sensitive to soy and hypoallergenic formula is crazy expensive.

I know that some people are sensitive to the milk protein casein and can't tolerate any dairy products whatsoever, even lactose free ones.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
All three of my children had colic. It peaked at around eight weeks and go better from there.

Two things that worked somewhat:
1) My pediatrician recommended Gripe Water. It's purified water mixed with ginger and fennel. You give the baby a little in a dropper or it can be mixed with a bottle. You can find it at the drugstore in the baby aisle.

2) Carrying your baby lengthwise over your forearm might help. The pressure on their tummy is soothing.

3) I've always found that whenever my kids are in distress nursing them helps even if they're not hungry.

My oldest had colic so bad that once I brought her to the pediatrician because she had been crying for 24 hours straight. he stripped off all her clothes, examined every inch of her, and then told me it was colic and would eventually go away on its own.

My second daughter only had brief episodes and my last baby would get it every day from 4 to 8 p.m. like clockwork until she was about eight weeks.

Good luck. Remember it doesn't last forever.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:30 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Mine had it from about 3 weeks to around 3 months. My first baby more so than the second one.

Aside from keeping their environment calm and holding and loving them there wasn't much more I could do. Stroller rides sometimes helped but not always. As I recall, it just kind of stopped one day for both of them. Then no more episodes.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Ever had one?

What was your experience?

When did your baby level off from the colic?

My son who is now 7
He cried every night from 6pm to 11 pm.
It was horrible.
At about 3 months old.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 PM

With the lactose sensitive they break down the proteins to make them easier to digest. In a hypoallergenic formula the protein is broken down almost fully.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 PM

556 posts, read 798,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
All three of my children had colic. It peaked at around eight weeks and go better from there.

Two things that worked somewhat:
1) My pediatrician recommended Gripe Water. It's purified water mixed with ginger and fennel. You give the baby a little in a dropper or it can be mixed with a bottle. You can find it at the drugstore in the baby aisle.

2) Carrying your baby lengthwise over your forearm might help. The pressure on their tummy is soothing.

3) I've always found that whenever my kids are in distress nursing them helps even if they're not hungry.

My oldest had colic so bad that once I brought her to the pediatrician because she had been crying for 24 hours straight. he stripped off all her clothes, examined every inch of her, and then told me it was colic and would eventually go away on its own.

My second daughter only had brief episodes and my last baby would get it every day from 4 to 8 p.m. like clockwork until she was about eight weeks.

Good luck. Remember it doesn't last forever.
We tried gripe water. The result....me griping about it not doing a darn thing! lol

Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
With the lactose sensitive they break down the proteins to make them easier to digest. In a hypoallergenic formula the protein is broken down almost fully.
It's called Nutramigen....or liquid gold as it is very expensive.

The only thing that calmed my colicy baby was the sound of the vacuum cleaner...the minute it stopped, the crying would start. I was worried about burning out the motor so I made a 30 minute recording of the sound...worked like a charm.

Relief at 4 months.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
We tried gripe water. The result....me griping about it not doing a darn thing! lol
LOL! I tried those drops...can't even remember what they were called, but they were supposed to be great! Not for my son though.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
It's called Nutramigen....or liquid gold as it is very expensive.

The only thing that calmed my colicy baby was the sound of the vacuum cleaner...the minute it stopped, the crying would start. I was worried about burning out the motor so I made a 30 minute recording of the sound...worked like a charm.

Relief at 4 months.
I know, my pedi wanted us to go on it but I was very hesitant, I insisted on trying everything else first! Luckily it wasn't needed.

My son was in the hospital recently and the parents at the next bed had recorded themselves reading stories to their baby. What a genius idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting