Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 07:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
The difference is trick or treating is an expected activity for little kids and not for teens. My point is that parents shouldn't be getting all miffed over it since teens have many other activities to go too geared to them.

And MY point is that all kids have many activities geared towards them and it should be up to them to decide how they want to spend their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And MY point is that all kids have many activities geared towards them and it should be up to them to decide how they want to spend their time.

A teen is not a kid they are a young adult and young adults should be doing young adult things. Dressing up and going door to door for candy is for little ones and not teens imo.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Read how much i spend on candy about 5 posts above. Teens have plenty of fun stuff geared just for them, but the actual act of trick or treating is for the little ones.
So buy a bag of Jolly Ranchers or something like that for the teens; give them each a couple of pieces.

I'm really amazed you have kids starting out at 3 PM. Most kids aren't even home from school by then, nor adults home from work.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sometimes there are parties (if a parent is willing to host one), haunted houses (at least around here) are expensive (around $20 - which is a lot for most teens) and until they are driving they may not have a way to get there. To assume there is always some kinds of activities available for teens is incorrect. Especially those that are "too old" to be trick or treating but perhaps not old enough for some other things....12-15 yo is a very inbetween age and on one hand we have people telling them to "grow up" while on the other we have people complaining that "kids today grow up too fast"....they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Most of the times parents will drive their kids to things...and if not carpooling does go on a lot. And yes your haunted house is fairly pricey as the one we have is 7 dollars and the haunted trail is free.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So buy a bag of Jolly Ranchers or something like that for the teens; give them each a couple of pieces.

I'm really amazed you have kids starting out at 3 PM. Most kids aren't even home from school by then, nor adults home from work.

Mostly its the very little ones such as toddlers and their parents who don't want them to have to deal with the general bustle of large groups of kids is all.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
A teen is not a kid they are a young adult and young adults should be doing young adult things. Dressing up and going door to door for candy is for little ones and not teens imo.
A 13/14 yo is now a "young adult"?

Your kids are young yet so maybe you just don't know how young that really still is.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
A 13/14 yo is now a "young adult"?

Your kids are young yet so maybe you just don't know how young that really still is.

Yeah generally an 11 year old is refereed to as a young adult, so certainly 13/14 is one. I come from European parents so maybe i am biased, because people in America seem to have no conception how much as a nation we coddle and baby compared to the rest of the world. And given my experiences working with them at the restaurant and the increasing amounts of boomerang kids, and kids being less and less prepared for college i don't think thats a good thing. And yes my kids are young but i even treat them as young adults, and find it works better on all levels.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
So, if a 15 year old teen mom is out trick or treating with her baby, do you give them both candy?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Yeah generally an 11 year old is refereed to as a young adult, so certainly 13/14 is one. I come from European parents so maybe i am biased, because people in America seem to have no conception how much as a nation we coddle and baby compared to the rest of the world. And given my experiences working with them at the restaurant and the increasing amounts of boomerang kids, and kids being less and less prepared for college i don't think thats a good thing. And yes my kids are young but i even treat them as young adults, and find it works better on all levels.

So I'm guessing then that your own young adults won't be trick or treating either?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Please tell me this is a joke. 13 year old kids are NOT young adults, they are CHILDREN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting