Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:22 PM

208 posts, read 271,152 times

Advertisements

I received a call from my son's (13) school earlier today - thankfully, they weren't calling to tell me that he and his friends had been having inappropriate conversations again, like I'd been talking about here last week.

What it was about was that he and some friends had been running around with Halloween masks - despite the fact that everybody had specifically been informed that there would be no costumes/makeup/masks allowed today...

They were calling to inform me that his mask (which was purchased for a Halloween party that he still thinks he's going to tomorrow) was in the office and available to be picked up 'at my leisure' - which won't be today.

Since then I've gotten two text messages from him (the kids are allowed to have their cellphones at school for the purposes of after school communication etc, but they're not allowed to use them during the day) asking if I'm getting the mask and reminding me that he's going to need it tomorrow.

And now I'm in a bad mood (although I admit I was in a bit of a work-related mood anyway...) because this just feels like he's continually being bold and defiant at school...he is right? It seems to me (definitely with the texts aswell) that he didn't see the no-Halloween rule as a particularly serious one...(oh, or the cellphone rules...)

-If we hadn't just had the problems with the conversations I might not have ended up in such a bad mood but we've just been discussing the idea of respecting the rules/teachers at school. Obviously not seriously enough yet...

I'm sensing a bit of a wise-guy attitude coming through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
-If we hadn't just had the problems with the conversations I might not have ended up in such a bad mood but we've just been discussing the idea of respecting the rules/teachers at school. Obviously not seriously enough yet...

I'm sensing a bit of a wise-guy attitude coming through.
Ya think?

Not only would my son not be going to the Halloween parties he'd been looking forward to soooo much, he'd be up washing the roof tomorrow morning to get it through his thick head that there will be no more "conversations" (because those are not working) because I am sick and tired of his attitude. He doesn't want to play by the rules? Fine. Life just got reeeeal unpleasant.

What does he hate to do most in the world? Tomorrow, that is what he'll be doing.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:58 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
No halloween costumes in school anymore?

I'd give the kid a pass on this - granted, i don't know what "conversations" you're referring to.

The texting in school thing? He was texting his parent! Take it easy .....

Running around with a mask at school? Who cares! Boys will be boys.

Jesus. I got in way more trouble when i was 13, and I turned out great.

Sounds like you're being a little nitpicky and sensitive to me.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
I'm going with DewDrop on this one. Your son does not respect authority. Whatever you've done to date hasn't changed that. Time to get serious.

ETA: It may not seem like a big deal right now (to some) but keep in mind, he may be driving soon, and trying to find a job or applying for a scholarship...knowing appropriate times and places for behavior and when pushing the line is acceptable is a huge life lesson. Not allowing him to learn this is doing him a huge disservice.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-29-2010 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 PM

707 posts, read 1,467,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post

I'd give the kid a pass on this - granted, i don't know what "conversations" you're referring to.

Running around with a mask at school? Who cares! Boys will be boys.

Jesus. I got in way more trouble when i was 13, and I turned out great.

Sounds like you're being a little nitpicky and sensitive to me.

I have to agree with this poster. He was having a little bit of fun its halloween give it a break. He was texting you his parents just to make sure everything was okay with the mask. Maybe im a less lenient parent but it sounds like your being to hard on him. Trying to get him to stop innapproriate conversations will probably not happen. Hes a boy, it happens. Hell girls are ever worse at that.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
School says no masks. Kid wears a mask. Kid gets the mask removed. That should be the end of it. The kid shouldn't be reminding mom or dad to pick the mask up because he needs it tomorrow. He doesn't need anything tomorrow other than food, clothing, and shelter. If he doesn't like it, he can mow the neighbor's lawn or rake the other neighbor's yard after school today for $5 and buy a new mask. He abused the privilege of having the first one, he forfeits it.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:17 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,464 times
Congrats, you have a teeanager. And from your posts, the class clown to boot. I had one of those. Good times are ahead for you.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 PM

You guys have basically split yourselves halfway...that's not helpful for me figuring out how much of a justifiably bad mood I'm in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What does he hate to do most in the world?
Well soon it might be washing and polishing the roof.

Quote:
Yeah, he was texting me....but for no good reason. I'm not sure that he was trying to make sure that everything was okay with the mask either. It seemed a little...expectant.

I think that what's bugging me right now is how he seems more interested in doing what the boys are doing rather than thinking about when rules might apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
He abused the privilege of having the first one, he forfeits it.
I agree. He knew it wasn't welcome at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
And from your posts, the class clown to boot. I had one of those. Good times are ahead for you.
ohhh I don't want the class clown. Can I swap him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Trying to get him to stop innapproriate conversations will probably not happen. Hes a boy, it happens.
I don't expect that he'll stop completely, he just needs to figure out time and place.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Yeap. Last year was the first year that the middle school and high school said no costumes. I think they decided that things were getting too risque, morbid or gruesome (maybe even sometimes all 3 at once).

And they have their issues with students and masks and identity and....schools these days...

Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
I think that what's bugging me right now is how he seems more interested in doing what the boys are doing rather than thinking about when rules might apply.
Welcome to the entire history of the teenage male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting