Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Or you could forget the charts, look at the child and note that she doesn't need to be buttered down her sides to get down the slide and see that she is okay!
I agree. She looks perfectly healthy and normal to me. I posted the WHO charts though because the op thinks something is wrong and thinks that the growth charts that her ped is using are based on US children. The WHO charts are slightly different then the CDC's and I'm positive that her dd will still fall within a healthy weight range according to those numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I agree. She looks perfectly healthy and normal to me. I posted the WHO charts though because the op thinks something is wrong and thinks that the growth charts that her ped is using are based on US children. The WHO charts are slightly different then the CDC's and I'm positive that her dd will still fall within a healthy weight range according to those numbers.
Good thinking! I never thought of WHO charts. It occurred to me to find a European chart, but I didn't know what part of Europe the OP comes from.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
EXACTLY, Momma_bear. Now that's one smart doctor.
While certainly NOT obese, my daughter is soft and fluffly all over, which indicates presence of more fat than I would care for, chart or no chart.

But assuming she is just a perfect 2 1/2 year old - as many would agree looking at her - if her appetite stays like this, she will not be without weight problems in the future. That I know for sure.
Toddlers are chubbier looking than older kids. It is perfectly normal for them to have chubby cheeks and thighs. One other thing my doctor told me he looks at with kids is back fat. He says a little belly fat on a child is not an area of concern, but back fat is an area of concern.

My oldest falls into the overweight category according to the charts also. That boy has ZERO body fat and is a gym rat. He does not need to lose an ounce despite being in the 85th percentile for height/weight. You don't need a chart to see that he is extremely muscular, and hard all over. No fluff no matter how much he weighs.

I would go by what she looks like, not the charts. I would also work on increasing her activity level but not necessarily restricting her food intake. If you serve healthy foods she will eat healthy most of the time, even if she eats junk food sometimes. The habits ingrained early in life stick with kids.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Anything American is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Good thinking! I never thought of WHO charts. It occurred to me to find a European chart, but I didn't know what part of Europe the OP comes from.
The part that hates America.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
I looked at the picture of your dd. She is not fat, she is still has some of the baby body build that is common for toddlers.

If you are concerned rather than limit her healthy food, give her more protein and get her out to exercise more. Find something she likes and enroll her in it - at this age creative dance is good or gymnastics or karate or ballet. Go to mommy and me gym classes. Go out to the park and actually play with her if she tends to sit on the swing. Get together with another more active child and mom who will encourage her interest in active things.

Two year olds are usually balls of energy and need lots of food to keep up their playing.

Dorothy

Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Don't let your paranoia regarding the Evil Americans to cloud your judgment when it comes to feeding your child.

and

...thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate your opinions and the info I received here. For now, I will up her protein and see what happens.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:17 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,602 times
You little girl is so cute I have a 3year old girl and i have the opposite problem. My son is 7 1/2 though and eats constantly. Try not to worry about it. She sounds normal to me.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
You little girl is so cute I have a 3year old girl and i have the opposite problem. My son is 7 1/2 though and eats constantly. Try not to worry about it. She sounds normal to me.
Thank you, lisa.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
syracusa- what do they do in Europe?
What do you mean?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would also work on increasing her activity level but not necessarily restricting her food intake.
I could certainly use more detailed and creative ideas in this area, but I will be honest upfront and say that if "increasing activity" means enrolling her in a variety of paid classes, that is very unlikely to happen. This is not only because I am extremely busy as a work-from-home doubling as SAHM but also because everything I looked at in my area does not have much for children below 3 yo. Let alone that the extra expense just to get some regular play in, once or twice a week, is hardly appealing to us.

That being said, even when I take her out and try to set up some play that involves running, she simply will not go for it. I run around myself, get all worked up in the hope that she will do the same - and she won't.
She just drags along, very laid back.
When we go to the park, often with her brother, she always chooses NOT TO join the kids running. Her 5 yo brother has 3 sibbling friends, an 8yo girl, a 4yo boy and a 2yo girl - with whom he runs around a lot; but she always chooses to go her separate way, minding her own business - even though there is a 2yo among the kids too.

For whatever reason, she seems to be a laid back, low energy, not very active child.

Mind you, I will increase her protein so I won't have it weigh on my conscience that somehow her low energy might be related to low protein intake. I am 99.9% sure that this is not the case as she gets milk, cheese, yogurt and some meat every day.
Sometimes an egg and nuts too.

It is probably who she is.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting