Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

As some talk show hosts are wont to say, ''It's time to pay the bills."

Do listen. Thius is one of the best commercials ever produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQoLxPx6UZk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
That's a single study. It's not enough to form a conclusion. Here's some reading for you.

Smoking does not cause lung cancer, WHO 1999 statistics. Editorial from the Journal of Theoretics
That's just drivel, sorry. Smokers are always trying to raise doubt that cigarettes cause lung cancer, and they twist statistics every which way from Sunday to "prove" their point. Not to mention, the link you posted is to an editorial, someone's opinion. The editor twists words. S/he is not actually "proving" anything. Just keep on smoking. Let me know how that works for you.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:30 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times
My son is only 9, and I've always feared that, even though he's an angel, he might one day fall to temptation with regard to smoking. IF that day ever comes, I would talk to him in a stern manner and let him know how disappointed I am and that, as long as he's living under my roof, it cannot continue. Lucky for me, though, my son has a very good concept of not doing things that would disappoint me, as we have a great relationship and he's stated many times that he would never do anything to hurt me. That's not to say that it would never happen, but I can breathe a little easier knowing that the chances of it happening don't seem very high.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 AM

196 posts, read 208,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's just drivel, sorry. Smokers are always trying to raise doubt that cigarettes cause lung cancer, and they twist statistics every which way from Sunday to "prove" their point. Not to mention, the link you posted is to an editorial, someone's opinion. The editor twists words. S/he is not actually "proving" anything. Just keep on smoking. Let me know how that works for you.
It may be an editorial, but it's written by a Medical Doctor, and references journal articles 20 times in support of that opinion.
I'm not a smoker, but my dad is. He started when he was 12. He's 78 yrs old now & healthy as a horse. Meanwhile I remember a few neighbors who died of lung cancer in their 40's were not smokers. There are clearly other factors involved.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Actually, every single one of the sources he referenced supported the theory that inhaling tobacco smoke was either a direct cause, or significant risk factor, for getting lung cancer. He even includes a quote with each reference referring to the *causation* of lung cancer. Furthermore, he readily agrees that inhaling tobacco smoke IS a risk factor and DOES contribute to the diagnosis of lung cancer. His argument is that he doesn't believe it is the primary cause of it. He does not claim that it doesn't cause lung cancer at all; only that it doesn't always cause lung cancer.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
It may be an editorial, but it's written by a Medical Doctor, and references journal articles 20 times in support of that opinion.
I'm not a smoker, but my dad is. He started when he was 12. He's 78 yrs old now & healthy as a horse. Meanwhile I remember a few neighbors who died of lung cancer in their 40's were not smokers. There are clearly other factors involved.
Well, written by an MD, eh? As if that clinches it. A gynecologist, maybe? Perhaps an opthamologist? The line at the end about abortion was clever, too. Most MDs aren't really scientists in the true sense of the word. What the author was saying was "correlation doesn't equal causation", which is true. However, the overwhelming evidence, of which I submitted two pieces, does prove causation.

Anecdotal evidence is crap.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
As some talk show hosts are wont to say, ''It's time to pay the bills."

Do listen. Thius is one of the best commercials ever produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQoLxPx6UZk

OMG that commercial is funny, love the clapping of the hands !!!!
i don't remember it on TV though, and i am old enough, that i should..

Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
In college I took human anatomy and lab. It was very upsetting to see the black lung and damage first hand in a human cadaver that had been caused by smoking. I called my parents up, very distraught, to come up to the college. My mother came, my father refused. Sadly it did not make a lasting impression. Over the years I can recall each tried to stop for periods of a year or more just to eventually start smoking again. I lost both parents to lung cancer as a result of their lifelong smoking habits/addiction. A person has to make the choice, their addiction or their life and family. Often the addiciton wins.

It is pretty well a guarantee that smokers with a lifelong habit will end up with COPD and be forced to use an oxygen tank. Ask the 14 yr. old son if he thinks what makes him seem cool to his peers now is worth becoming a "tanker" in later life. Does peer approval really mean that much to him?

Old 12-02-2010, 12:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
It's not a guarantee, and making wild claims to 14-year-old kids is one of the reasons some 14-year-old kids grow up to be adult trouble makers. Because you can only hear so many wild claims until you catch on that someone is lying to you. And once you find out this little factoid, your ability to trust authority starts its downward spiral.

Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aside - telling your kids this CAN happen - and telling you kids that "when this happens, it is usually because of that" - is well and good. But when you start throwing around the "always" and "guarantee" and "never" words, you're probably better off trying to rip down a brick wall with a feather duster.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:25 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Take him to a cancer treatment center. That might scare him straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting