Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:33 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I don't have children yet but just wanted to pose a question to everybody based on something I saw at a 4th of July party last night.

A young mother (her baby was 5 days old) was evidently breastfeeding, as she took a couple of breaks to do so... yet she was smoking and drinking? I personally didn't say anything because I'm a non-confrontational person, I don't like telling people how to live their lives...

Thankfully it was brought up by someone else, but the young mother responded that "the doctor told her as long as she's not falling over drunk it'll be okay".

Is this true?

I was sure that you couldn't smoke or drink AT ALL while breastfeeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hi Everyone!

I don't have children yet but just wanted to pose a question to everybody based on something I saw at a 4th of July party last night.

A young mother (her baby was 5 days old) was evidently breastfeeding, as she took a couple of breaks to do so... yet she was smoking and drinking? I personally didn't say anything because I'm a non-confrontational person, I don't like telling people how to live their lives...

Thankfully it was brought up by someone else, but the young mother responded that "the doctor told her as long as she's not falling over drunk it'll be okay".

Is this true?
No. ONE beer is unlikely to do any harm. But the baby still gets some alcohol.

Quote:
I would have an occaisional beer. Very occaisional. I would never have risked smoking even though I was a smoker back then.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No. ONE beer is unlikely to do any harm. But the baby still gets some alcohol.

I would have an occaisional beer. Very occaisional. I would never have risked smoking even though I was a smoker back then.
^ We tend to flip out too much over the concept of pregnant/bf moms doing anything like that when in moderation its not going to kill the child. I mean obviously if she is is doing jello shooters,pot, and mudslides every night we might have an issue, but a beer every now and again is not going to kill the child.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:44 PM

225 posts, read 715,064 times
Alcohol is in breastmilk the same way it is in your blood. If someone has a drink it's not likely to affect the baby, and esp. if someone has it right after a feed -- by the time the baby is fed again the alcohol will be out of the system.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
1-2 drinks will not harm the baby as the amount getting into the breastmilk is very very small.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
^ We tend to flip out too much over the concept of pregnant/bf moms doing anything like that when in moderation its not going to kill the child. I mean obviously if she is is doing jello shooters,pot, and mudslides every night we might have an issue, but a beer every now and again is not going to kill the child.
Yah but "as long as you are not falling down drunk" is a little UNDER conservative in my book. I am not falling down drunk after 3 or 4 glasses of wine, but that is still too much for the wee one. There are a lot of things we hold the bar a little higher than failure to kill the child, including breastfeeding! And I sure as heck would not want to addict my poor baby to nicotine. I would not wish nicotine withdrawal on my worst enemy.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hi Everyone!

Is this true?

LLLI | FAQ on Alcohol

Apparently there are multiple conflicting recommendations regarding alcohol.

Smoking appears a but more clear cut. Less than a pack a day.

LLLI | FAQ on Smoking and Breastfeeding

Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I think the rule of thumb for alcohol is that if you feel okay to drive (legally), then it's "safe" to breastfeed. I think for cigarettes it's 3 hours per cigarette. Personally, I wouldn't do either while breastfeeding, because why take the chance.... Plus, ideally, a new mother would already be used to not smoking/drinking from pregnancy... so what's another few months or year or however long she bf? I might be considered a bit extreme though, since I avoided all the "safe" medications too (except ibuprofen for about a week right after the c-section)

Old 07-05-2012, 02:01 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
It took me more than 5 days but after a few months of breastfeeding - I really wanted a drink! If I was having more than 1 I got a bottle of pumped milk ready. Sometimes I would have one while I nursed to buy a little more time - it doesn't go straight to the milk so the baby wouldn't be affected. Then the next feeding would be a bottle and I would have a few hours 'off the clock' that way. I don't know about smoking. But everyone I know subscribed to the if you can drive, you can nurse theory.

Actually - being at a BBQ with a 5 day old sounds stranger than nursing after a drink. It sounds like you don't know her that well, so it seems like a big party. Not something I'd bring my newborn to!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I'd personally be more concerned about the smoking than the drinking. And if a woman gives them both up for pregnancy why can't she at least abstain till she is finished breast feeding?

Snarky comment to follow: she probably drank and smoked during pregnancy and this is just a continuation of the same behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting