Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,421 times

Advertisements

I've never really understood the need to run around all the time. So many of the families around our area are always on the go and the kids actually complain because they are so tired.

When I was a kid, children were hardly ever involved in constant activities. Parents pretty much left us on our own. My family never really went anywhere except once a year on vacations and the store on the weekends. My parents didn't take us to activities except maybe a party once in a while. And I grew up just fine.

My kids have one activity they can pick each, except for swimming lessons which I want them to take for safety reasons. Other than that, they stay home and we find things to do either apart or as a family (Parcheesi is a favorite!). Staying home is fun and it really binds us as a family. We end up talking to each other a lot and we know our kids very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,833 times
I do not think kids need an outside activity every weekend if that means a scheduled activity. There just needs to be a good balance. Don't over-schedule every weekend and don't sit inside on the couch or at the computer all weekend either.

My younger two are happy as can be to be home bodies. However, they are also happy as can be when there are things scheduled.

My son didn't play fall baseball this year for the first time since he started, so we don't actually have any regularly 'scheduled' activities during the weekends right now.

However, weather permitting, they are outside for hours at a time riding bikes/skateboards, playing with neighbors, climbing trees or digging in the dirt.

Sometimes we take a spontaneous trip to the park, bring them on a grocery shopping trip, take part in a city event, go to the library or visit relatives.

But not every single weekend has us leaving the house. We like it that way. We might cook something together, play board games, cuddle with a fire and watch a movie or any other numerous things together. Those are the times that we all enjoy the most.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
I think it completely depends on the family and the kids.

Kids growing up in an apartment might need outside activities, kids growing up on a few acres might have plenty to do - horses to ride, dogs to play with, trees to climb. Or in a suburb, there might be plenty of kids around for informal kinds of games and the kids don't need team sports. Or some kids prefer to work on projects - building a go-kart for example that they do on their own. And some families like going camping and hiking or boating often as a family and don't have time for team sports and group activities.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:35 AM

224 posts, read 689,310 times
my girls have practice twice a week, so if they dont have games on the weekend, we keep the weekend time family oriented. we try to activities that get all of out of the house on nice days or we just have days in of cleaning time and movies...

Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
We are out and about a bit each weekend, grocery shopping and going to church, but most of the time, weekends are down-time for everyone. Of course we sometimes go on a family daytrip, but yeah, most of the time we relax at home. We run ar ound enough during the week!

Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
For us, it totally depends on what weekend it is. Hubby and I both get paid on the same Friday's, so we are more likely to be out and doing things on those weekends that fall just after paydays. The other weekends, we usually just hang around the house (watch movies, play games, generally rattle around and ignore each other while we're involved in our individual activities). My oldest two never have a problem finding things to do on weekends anyway.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
we live in a big house on a nice lot and when I say we rattle around inside this is what I mean

on nice weather days we are gardening, riding bikes, playing outside, walking the dog, swimming, etc.

on bad weather days (either too hot or too cold):

cooking and freezing meals for the week
crafts, coloring
reading, games
watching family movies or football games
cleaning house as a family
cleaning and laundry

I see our neighbors in their car almost constantly. Both parents have demanding jobs and they have 3 boys, none of whom are driving so parents seem to be on the road constantly. Once this fall I spotted one of the boys actually asleep in the grass and his mom had to wake him to go to some sporting event. I was especially glad we are not such a driven family.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
I see our neighbors in their car almost constantly. Both parents have demanding jobs and they have 3 boys, none of whom are driving so parents seem to be on the road constantly. Once this fall I spotted one of the boys actually asleep in the grass and his mom had to wake him to go to some sporting event. I was especially glad we are not such a driven family.
You know - all kids are different. Some prefer to be busier than others. It is difficult when you have one or more of each and try to work things out so everyone is getting what they need. My son is a busy kid. Always has been. We did limit him to one sport per season at about 3rd or 4th grade. He would do everything if he could. Not enough hours in the day for that one. I can't imagine having 3 of those. It may not be that they are overscheduled. It may be that they have 3 kids who are busy kids. It doesn't really have any bearing on decisions you've made for your family though. If your kids are happy doing what you're doing that's all that matters. Even though the neighbors may be driving all the time - that may well be what they want to be doing.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:17 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
It is fully OK, on a weekend to do absolutely nothing, or whatever comes to mind. There is no such rule that mandates an activity every weekend.

Why does everything have to be a planned thing.....

Ugh, sometimes you just feel like like doing a big fat nothing.....and you know what, it's, allowed.....................

Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,971 times
I can't remember having any full "inside" weekends in years! My DD is 12 and we've had activities going on since she was in Kindergarten.... Karate, Soccer, Dance, Acting, Cheerleading, etc etc etc....

How I would LOVE to have a full weekend at HOME to putter around the apartment, get things done, cleaning, organizing, etc.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting