Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:15 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No I plan on getting some respect here.
I'm in there for maybe 15 minutes all I ask is to not shower between 1 and 2 pm on the days I have work.
lemme know how that works out for you. you get respect by giving it, and then (in the case of brothers) not always then. ESPECIALLY if he knows it annoys you. the mature thing to do is adjust your schedule and avoid the conflict. But somehow, I don't think you're mature enough to accept that reality.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
No I plan on getting some respect here.
I'm in there for maybe 15 minutes all I ask is to not shower between 1 and 2 pm on the days I have work.
Just how do you force someone to respect you? Why are you letting this become a battle? It's a stupid shower....Get up 1/2 hour earlier. It's not a huge amount and not worth stressing over. Maybe, if you finished 1/2 hour earlier, you could make that phone call to the insurance company (during regular business hours)...or eat something healthy before you leave. Or get up an hour earlier and get a good walk or run in? That would wake you up and get your blood moving! And help get you in shape for the academy. Probably more than those cigs ...(just sayin')

Old 02-20-2011, 04:24 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
No, I hate letting others dictate how I live my life.
And I have been going running and walking, I did all last summer and fall till it snowed and I always took my dog with me, now that's it warming up I can go again, I think tonight ill take my dog with me to clean out my car or go for a run.

I'm not changing a schedule I am happy with just because my brother feels like being a d-bag.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
And I have been going running and walking, I did all last summer and fall till it snowed and I always took my dog with me, now that's it warming up I can go again, I think tonight ill take my dog with me to clean out my car or go for a run.

I'm not changing a schedule I am happy with just because my brother feels like being a d-bag.
Nobody likes "letting others dictate" how we live our lives. But we realize that living with other people is a fact of life and we don't always get what we want. Sometimes the best thing is to work around them. So you think that by being a "d-bag" right back at him, whining on the internet (and most likely to anyone who will listen IRL) and stressing about it and getting mad THAT isn't affecting your life? Interesting.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Uhh no, I'm not the one who runs the hot water out. I'm in there maybe 15 minutes tops. He's the one in there for like 45 minutes.

And I go to the downstairs bathroom to do my hair and make-up.

I don't take long showers, I don't have that kind of time.
He plugs up the tub and let's the shower go and go and go to keep the water warm in the tub because the bath faucet is disconnected and you can only take a bath if you run the shower.
Then I think your mom is wrong to let him take such long showers and waste so much water.

Plus when people have to share, they should not take over 10-15 minutes in the bathroom. It's inconsiderate to say the least - but also how boring can someone be to want to be in the bathroom for such lengths of time?

A 45-minute shower is ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
lemme know how that works out for you. you get respect by giving it, and then (in the case of brothers) not always then. ESPECIALLY if he knows it annoys you. the mature thing to do is adjust your schedule and avoid the conflict. But somehow, I don't think you're mature enough to accept that reality.
No - not with siblings. Usually the older sibling earns respect nature's way when everyone is still little and it's not by respecting the baby of the family and giving in to every demand, some time the respect earning is done behind the parent's back.

There is a normal pecking order but it probably got disrupted by the mother coddling the baby and protecting him.

It doesn't sound nice, but it's more natural for the younger child to respect the older child because he learned from early on he had best better do that.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
How do you get over the fights and the conflicts of two kids sharing one bathroom?

Do you have a bathroom schedule?
Do you have a time limit on how long showers can be or how long one person can take up the bathroom?

For the past month I have my new job, I work 3-11 Wednesday through Sunday, my schedule at work never changes. I get up at about noon or 1pm depending on how tired I am and I get in the shower shortly after getting up. In order to be on time I can't be getting OUT of the shower any later than 2pm.

Over and over and over again I have told both my mom and brother this.
AGAIN today, I go to get in the shower and he's in there. My mom knocks on the door, you're sister needs the shower, he ask "does she have work?" she doesn't answer his question and she says something else to him and hes like "I SAID....does she have work?!" she tells him yes. He takes like 15 more minutes to get out of the shower, with no care that its going to make me late for work.

When he has to be up at 6am to shower and get ready for school, I am NOT taking showers, on my days off I don't care when he showers because I can wait and take one whenever.

But when I have work, I MUST take a shower before work and be able to do it in enough time that I can also do my make-up and blow dry and straighten my hair, brush my teeth and pack a lunch and 1h45 minutes is enough time to do so I can leave for work at 2:50 and get there about 2:54 and clock in.

What's a good shower schedule method that works for you and your families?

Give him a taste of his own medicine and take your shower before he has to go to school. This will be the most effective teacher.....though i will admit if you are working at the gas station you taking a shower really isn't needed :-P.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nobody likes "letting others dictate" how we live our lives. But we realize that living with other people is a fact of life and we don't always get what we want. Sometimes the best thing is to work around them. So you think that by being a "d-bag" right back at him, whining on the internet (and most likely to anyone who will listen IRL) and stressing about it and getting mad THAT isn't affecting your life? Interesting.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then I think your mom is wrong to let him take such long showers and waste so much water.

Plus when people have to share, they should not take over 10-15 minutes in the bathroom. It's inconsiderate to say the least - but also how boring can someone be to want to be in the bathroom for such lengths of time?

A 45-minute shower is ridiculous.
I know! He not only showers at the worst times but even if he showers way earlier all the hot water is gone when I do get in...

Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:

Then stop asking for advice. You're a big girl. Take your big girl pill and pretend to be an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting