Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I often wonder how it would be if there were more Scout troops in the inner cities. They're not exactly overflowing with a surplus of good male role models.
i agree with that comment the more role models that follow a certain set of valeus that make the city beter is great to have

Old 05-14-2009, 12:44 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I love BSA, and my husband and I were adult leaders for several years during our twenties before we had children of our own. Now that our son is in first grade, we are actively seeking to become involved in a troop again.

Regarding the BSA position on gays: I am adamantly opposed to their current exclusionary policy; however, I think that it is easier to change an organization from the inside than from the outside, and I know many BSA parents who feel the same way. I do not in any way feel that I am compromising my beliefs by being involved in the organization. If anything, my husband and I both think that our family's participation is essential to creating change.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
Growing up my brother and mother were always really involved in Boy Scouts. My sister and I would often get dragged along to meetings and outings and it was a lot of fun for all of us (except maybe some of the outdoors winter outings). I think if the troop is organized and "with it" it can be tons of fun, but a complete pain in the bum if the troop is full of idiot adults who don't know how to keep things together.

I think one of the biggest problems in Boy Scouts is that many of the parents aren't committed to it or supportive and it's like pulling teeth to get parents involved sometimes.

Being active in BS growing up also led the three of us to join the local Venture Crew, which is a Boy Scout funded program for girls and boys that revolves mostly around marksmanship (and gun safety programs).

Old 05-14-2009, 12:50 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
Growing up my brother and mother were always really involved in Boy Scouts. My sister and I would often get dragged along to meetings and outings and it was a lot of fun for all of us (except maybe some of the outdoors winter outings). I think if the troop is organized and "with it" it can be tons of fun, but a complete pain in the bum if the troop is full of idiot adults who don't know how to keep things together.

I think one of the biggest problems in Boy Scouts is that many of the parents aren't committed to it or supportive and it's like pulling teeth to get parents involved sometimes.
I suggest looking for another troop. When I was leader, we were never short-handed and occasionally had to set limits on the number of adults who could attend an outing. I think we had more fun than the kids!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:13 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I suggest looking for another troop. When I was leader, we were never short-handed and occasionally had to set limits on the number of adults who could attend an outing. I think we had more fun than the kids!
The troop was great and very close-knit while we were growing up. It wasn't until around the time my brother and his friends were in high school and becoming Eagle Scouts that the troop really started to fall apart. My mother is still a Merit Badge Counselor though, but I think its for all the local troops. I think at one point my brother actually did consider going to another local troop but decided against it.

A few times we also had to set a limit on the number of adults who attended, and for outings that lasted a few days they had a rotating schedule so that more than just a few adults could participate.

But then the next core group of kids came along into the troop and the parents really wanted nothing to do with it and they'd just drop their kids off at the meetings and leave. Plus the new scout leader what a flake (even though he'd been involved with the troop for years) and he'd constantly lose the scouts' paperwork.

About two years ago I went on a hike with my mother and the local scout troop and it was really sad to see a group of about 7 or 8 boys and a few adults (one of them was just a driver and didn't want to hike), and most of the adults complained half the time. Some of my best memories include about 15-20 scouts and 10 or so adults hiking up into the mountains for the day and having loads of fun and adventure (like that infamous Spring hike in the mountains that was more of a winter hike and involved us crossing a raging stream with a dog leash and the troop leader slipping on some ice off the trail and almost plummeting to his doom off a cliff ).

Last edited by Puru; 05-15-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
My son has been in the Cub Scouts since he was in first grade. Now he is 10, and it's hard to believe (in only 8 more months), he will be joining the Boy Scouts. My husband is one of the cub scout pack leaders. If your child is in a good pack with a great cub master and den Leaders, (who are involved and are volunteering their time FOR THE BOYS), it will be a wonderful experience. Same goes for the Boy Scouts.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:51 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
One of my brothers kids is now a Boy Scout. I remember being in the Boy Scouts when I was a kid and felt it was kind of a Nerdy activity. Most of the kids in Boy Scouts were the social outcasts. Is this still true?

I am also one of those that refuses to allow my son to join because this organization descriminates. That is not what I want my son to get.

Secondly, past associations with the Boy Scouts has demonstrated, to me, that the den parents have a tendency to make sure that in any event their kids go first and do everything.

Since it is an option to join, we won't be.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:08 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
I didn't read the whole thread, but I knew BSA discriminated against gays and others. Such a shame because I think it's a great program otherwise.

But what about Girl Scouts? Do they also have a the same intolerance policy?? My daughter wants to join, but I want to make sure they aren't like the boy scouts.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:11 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
Girl Scouts is All Inclusive. The only person excluded from joining Girl Scouts of America is males under the age of 18 years old. Adults that come into regular contact with girls (Leaders, Assistant Leaders, etc. In my troop ALL ADULTS that help) undergo a background check. Your experience with Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts both are basically directly tied to the Leader. If you have a good Leader that you like and work with, you will have a great Troop. Otherwise it could be real iffy.
Good Luck.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:21 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
I think scouts and girl guides are great.
The kids learn respect and do interesting things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting