Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

Only speak if absolutely needed. Just let them focus on driving and learning. When you are driving though, model correct behavior. That means, no going thru yellow lights any longer, no talking on your cell phone while driving, go the speed limit, and discuss things that look dangerous. Just be glad you don't live in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
I still remember my mother saying "A green light is not a command to go. It merely suggests permission". I hear her voice and see her body language out of the corner of my right eye.... It clearly made an impression!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
So smart of you to seek advice! Be sure to let your car insurance company know, maybe they'll give you a break on the rates. My best advice is that your teen should never let his guard down when driving in a parking lot. You would think, its easy driving in a parking lot, right? Nope! That's where a good majority of accidents happen.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
So smart of you to seek advice! Be sure to let your car insurance company know, maybe they'll give you a break on the rates. My best advice is that your teen should never let his guard down when driving in a parking lot. You would think, its easy driving in a parking lot, right? Nope! That's where a good majority of accidents happen.
Oh, I work for an insurance company; that's probably why I'm so paranoid!

And I have no illusions about any kind of rate break once a teen-age driver starts driving! Cha-ching.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So, my son finally got his permit; he's been putting it off forever.

We went out today for his first time in the car. He did beautifully in the school parking lot and on our neighborhood streets.

We accidentally ended up on a main road and I offered to take the wheel but he thought he could make it home. We were both nervous. He did fine until we got to our neighborhood and turned into our street; there was a car coming out of the same street and he almost hit it head on. He did not stop prior to executing his turn.

I told him to stop and he did not ~ he kept aiming for the oncoming vehicle. I finally yelled 'Stop" and he did but he became very upset that I yelled at him.

How do I not raise my voice when he is not stopping (I realize he panicked) and we are about to hit an oncoming vehicle?

I need some help as to how to handle this thing. We got in way over our heads by ending up on the main road (we're new to the area to boot).

Any words of advice for me??

May the gods have mercy on your soul

Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
Have you thought of getting a driver education teacher? they have those special cars with a break on the passenger side. I know when I was learning to drive, my parents would drive me around the neighborhood and other smaller roads. Never on the highway or avenues. That was the job of the teacher's ed lady. practice, practice, practice.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about teaching my daughter for another 13 years :-)

Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
So, my son finally got his permit; he's been putting it off forever.

We went out today for his first time in the car. He did beautifully in the school parking lot and on our neighborhood streets.

We accidentally ended up on a main road and I offered to take the wheel but he thought he could make it home. We were both nervous. He did fine until we got to our neighborhood and turned into our street; there was a car coming out of the same street and he almost hit it head on. He did not stop prior to executing his turn.

I told him to stop and he did not ~ he kept aiming for the oncoming vehicle. I finally yelled 'Stop" and he did but he became very upset that I yelled at him.

How do I not raise my voice when he is not stopping (I realize he panicked) and we are about to hit an oncoming vehicle?

I need some help as to how to handle this thing. We got in way over our heads by ending up on the main road (we're new to the area to boot).

Any words of advice for me??
Fearing for your life....yelling is a natural response.

Here in Kansas kids can get permits at 14 years old. And restricted license at 15 yrs old. At 17 they can have an unrestricted license. Our oldest daughter is 13. I took her way out in the country on a gravel road and told her to get in the driver's seat for a pre-permit evaluation.....oh boy do we ever have our work cut out for us. The good thing is that she actually realizes it and doesn't care to admit it.

Boys are proud. Most all think they are good drivers even if they have never had any seat time on the left side. He probably told you he 'meant to do that' when it appeared that he was going to run head-on into the other car. You just need give him more seat time and try to explain that he needs to do what he can to not make his passengers or other motorists nervous.

One problem I had when I was learning was that I had always sat on the right side and never saw the world on the highway from the driver's seat. When I finally got to drive on the highway when I got my permit it was freaky. The seatbelt was on the wrong shoulder. I was sitting on the wrong side. It felt like the car was a mile wide. How does this thing fit on the road? I felt like if I was driving on a street with cars or other objects parked on the right side of the road that I was too close and was going to hit them. LOL Also being on the driver's side it looked like the cars in the oncoming lane were barreling at me compared to being in the passenger seat. So every time a car came I eased over to the right because I was affraid they were going to hit me.

The more I drove the better feel I had for the size of the car I was in. It's the same even today. If I have been driving a compact car around and then I get into a Suburban I feel as though I do not have a good feel for how big the car is and I'm clumbsy. After a while I get a feel for it and everything is fine. He just needs a chance to get the feel of the car. When he's learning he should probably just stick to one car (like a set of golf clubs).

Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Fearing for your life....yelling is a natural response.

Here in Kansas kids can get permits at 14 years old. And restricted license at 15 yrs old. At 17 they can have an unrestricted license. Our oldest daughter is 13. I took her way out in the country on a gravel road and told her to get in the driver's seat for a pre-permit evaluation.....oh boy do we ever have our work cut out for us. The good thing is that she actually realizes it and doesn't care to admit it.

Boys are proud. Most all think they are good drivers even if they have never had any seat time on the left side. He probably told you he 'meant to do that' when it appeared that he was going to run head-on into the other car. You just need give him more seat time and try to explain that he needs to do what he can to not make his passengers or other motorists nervous.

One problem I had when I was learning was that I had always sat on the right side and never saw the world on the highway from the driver's seat. When I finally got to drive on the highway when I got my permit it was freaky. The seatbelt was on the wrong shoulder. I was sitting on the wrong side. It felt like the car was a mile wide. How does this thing fit on the road? I felt like if I was driving on a street with cars or other objects parked on the right side of the road that I was too close and was going to hit them. LOL Also being on the driver's side it looked like the cars in the oncoming lane were barreling at me compared to being in the passenger seat. So every time a car came I eased over to the right because I was affraid they were going to hit me.

The more I drove the better feel I had for the size of the car I was in. It's the same even today. If I have been driving a compact car around and then I get into a Suburban I feel as though I do not have a good feel for how big the car is and I'm clumbsy. After a while I get a feel for it and everything is fine. He just needs a chance to get the feel of the car. When he's learning he should probably just stick to one car (like a set of golf clubs).
How did you know? That's exactly what he said. Thanks for your insight.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
How did you know? That's exactly what he said. Thanks for your insight.
Hey man....I was that kid at one time. I've got tons of stories from when I was learning.

Once I was driving with my dad. I was driving on a curvy road and this big turtle was crossing the road in front of me. I had plenty of time to avoid it but my dad had just gotten on my case about staying between the lines. He said, "You see that turtle?". I said, "Yep." He said,"Well?" "Thump-Thump", said the tire to the turtle. Poor guy never stood a chance. LMAO

I have a similar story about a dog and my older cousin's learning period.....

Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Seriously...do what my dad did when he wasn't able to teach me how to drive stick (something about how he was telling me to do it made no sense):

Hire someone else to do it.

There are plenty of driving schools out there, and they have the special extra brake on the passenger side. And there are no hard feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting