Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Out of curiosity, how is facing a wall degrading? One of the points of a time out is to remove attention from the child. If they cannot see what is going on, then attention is removed.
That's why we used a step on the stairs. You can't see anything from there. I think it's more humane than standing in the corner.

Quote:
Even though we most always use a chair or step for our kids, both my husband and I remember being made to sit/stand in the corner.
My parents didn't do that but they were always rather progressive for their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM

422 posts, read 649,609 times
We always did the little plastic chair FACING the corner. I agree with the timeout starting when they quiet down. You aren't thinking about what you did while you are screaming and trying to climb or manipulate your way out of it. 2-3 minutes is a fair amount of time to sit and think. Being removed from the "action" is achieved by facing away from the room.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
The rule of thumb for time-out is 1 minute per age, as has been mentioned. I also agree with another poster who said just put her in a chair and stand in front of it for the 2 minutes to make sure she stays - she'll probably figure it out soon enough at 2.5 years I think. Kids develop differently though and have different cognitive abilities, so you'll have to determine for yourself if you think she understands. My younger daughter is not-quite-two and wouldn't get it yet, and we do not use time-out with her yet because of that. My older daughter understood much more at this age, and would stay in time-out without a problem.

I don't know how often you are having to do time-outs, but I also think that if you are having to do it very often, that it probably isn't working and maybe you should look for other methods of discipline instead. (Please do not take this as a suggestion for "harsher" discipline such as spanking, because it most certainly is not!)

Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's why we used a step on the stairs. You can't see anything from there. I think it's more humane than standing in the corner.
It would depend on where one's stairs are, though, wouldn't it?

And as far as "humane", it's not like we're talking about water-boarding at Gitmo. We're talking 2-3 minutes in (presumably) the child's own home.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Also keep in mind Kids can't tell time (or How long time has passed). Get a 3min Egg timer so she can watch the sand (or a little kitchen timer) go down.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
we make our kids sit in the hall with their nose in the corner.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
It would depend on where one's stairs are, though, wouldn't it?
I can't imagine any style of stairs being interesting to a child.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
^^^^In my mother's house, for example, the stairs are off of the open kitchen/family room, so if one of my children were made to sit on the bottom step, they would not be removed from "the action".

If one of the goals of a time out is to separate the child, then the placement of the stairs in the specific home would make a difference.

All I am saying is "stairs" may not be a solution for everyone. A chair, bathroom, or corner may work better. Especially if one lives in a single-story home.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 03-18-2011 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 PM

339 posts, read 629,117 times
We put our son in his high chair (he has outgrown it and uses a booster seat now). We would face it away from everyone and strap him in (otherwise he'd just climb down from a regular chair. We set our microwave timer to 2 minutes and tell him that when he hears the beep he can ask to get down. He typically yells and screams while in timeout, and he can't always hear the timer when it goes off, so he has to calm down enough to tell us that the timer is up.

One of you doesn't let a 2 year old climb the stairs? They can learn at that age how to do it safely, trust me. We've only ever lived in a 2 story house and kids can learn early how to go up and down the stairs safely if you help them.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWilliams View Post
so he has to calm down enough to tell us that the timer is up.
That's brilliant!

-------

OP: I hadn't realised you lost the baby only a month ago. Your wife (and you) must be experiencing enormous ammounts of grief. I'd strongly urge you to join a grief support group if you haven't already.

The fact that your wife "hates" your daughter and that you are still having problems with discipline is heartbreaking. But I think there's so much underlying emotion for you as a family that A.B.C. in disciplining your toddler isn't going to work. I really hope you can find a way to deal with the underlying grief that appears to be affecting all of this. Also, has she seen a doctor since the loss and told him her emotions? Her hormones are probably nuts right now and that can be corrected. A decent OB/GYN will be able to help her.

Again, my condolences. I can't imagine what you are going through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting