Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

A California judge will decide today whether a paralyzed mother, Abbie Dorn, who cannot eat, speak or move, has a constitutional right to visits with her three young children.

Judge To Decide if Paralyzed Mother Has Right to See her Kids - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
What a sad story! That women became paralized during the birth of her triplets. The father divorced her a year later. She has gone three years without seeing her children.

I understand that the children don't won't get much out of their visits with her, but it's downright cruel to not let her even see her children on occassion.

She basically gave up her life when giving them their lives.

How could the father be so heartless and cruel?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Am I reading this correctly? traumatize? How will this traumatize their kids? They never really mention why he divorced her in the first place. I mean you're willing to take care of the kids but not willing to help and love your wife? Sounds puzzling to me.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
They never really mention why he divorced her in the first place.
It's clear to me that he divorce her because he wanted to get on with his life.

On a certain level, I can understand his wanting move forward with his own life.

But I can't understand why he would keep the kids from her though.

It's so sad.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
I don't know if I agree with the whole moving on. Maybe I'm just young and naive about people and marriage. No offense but I think the husband should learn from this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1qtf-qJpnM

Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 PM

313 posts, read 728,416 times
"In sickness or in health" is now about as meaningless as "until death do us part". When it's not fun anymore, lots of people bail without a backward glance. It's all about THEM!!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
What a sad story and shame on the husband/dad!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
You know, I can see how it could be scary to a young child to see their parent like that initially. However, had the children been allowed to have regular contact with her from jump, even 10 minutes a week, they would just see it as "that's just how it is."

I don't think that preventing the kids from seeing their mother was about it being traumatic for the kids. It was all about the dad, who was clearly ready to bail, and had no desire to ever look back.

What kind of heartless bastard not only divorces his wife because of medical condition but also denies her the ability to see her kids?

Just wait until those kids get a little older and start asking questions. Yeah, that's gonna be real pretty (Imagine the sarcasm face here)

Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
You know, I can see how it could be scary to a young child to see their parent like that initially. However, had the children been allowed to have regular contact with her from jump, even 10 minutes a week, they would just see it as "that's just how it is."

I don't think that preventing the kids from seeing their mother was about it being traumatic for the kids. It was all about the dad, who was clearly ready to bail, and had no desire to ever look back.

What kind of heartless bastard not only divorces his wife because of medical condition but also denies her the ability to see her kids?

Just wait until those kids get a little older and start asking questions. Yeah, that's gonna be real pretty (Imagine the sarcasm face here)
Yeah, I agree with everything you said. The dad sounds like a real POS.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It won't tramatize anyone. Lot's of people have sick family members with conditions that are less than pleasant to view. I would think that if they grew up with mom this way they wouldn't have any trouble whatsoever. The dad is a douche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting