Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times

Advertisements

Usually kids whose parents include their Miranda rights on the invitation are not popular.

The kids with parents out to lunch....now those are the popular kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I just did a little bit of research on the Corey Worthington party; unlike this birthday party where the parents will be home, Corey threw the party while his parents were out of town without their consent.

It's pretty simple- If the parents are so concerned, make sure the son doesn't post the party on Facebook. Or maybe the fifteen-year-old this thread is about is just extremely popular and will attract that many kids on his own
While it's true that the parties aren't exactly the same, there have been many instances of Facebook party crashers and copycats all over Australia. Kid's parents decide to have a party. Kid invites 15 friends. One of those friends tells one of their friends who isn't invited about the party. That friend posts it on Facebook and people pick up on it. Next thing you know, the entire school knows, the entire town knows, etc. Someone posted earlier about an incident where over 200,000 people knew about a kid's party through Facebook and responded they were coming. If .25% of those show up, that's 500 people and a major scene/incident.

I'm not saying that parents today need to take all these precautions and it is a bit over-the-top IMO, but part of me thinks the invite is a little tongue-in-cheek over what has been happening there recently.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
As a twenty year old, I've never seen a party even WITH the "crazy alcohol" setting have hundreds of people show up. And for a fifteen year old's birthday party, that sounds more like something that would happen in a teen movie rather than reality. I'm sure in some outlandish case it's happened, but that doesn't make it the norm or even likely.
In the 90's (in L.A.) my neighbors-from-hell had a rave party. They posted flyers in dance clubs. (FB for 1994) Hundreds and hundreds of people flooded the neighborhood. Most of them from out of the area. So did dozens and dozens of squad cars. It was a total nightmare.

I can absolutely see the possibility a party posted on FB getting out of control.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I think that this is prudent on the part of the parents. Good information. But...it still does not mean that there is supervision at the party. But it sounds pretty safe. I would send my daughter.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:30 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Surprisingly, I don't have a problem with the requests on the invitation. But I can't help but wonder, is this party at the home of the birthday boy or at a larger venue where they expect upwards of 50 party goers? Because the hiring of security guards and informing the police seem to be overkill for a house party. But a blow out, ala MTV Sweet Sixteen, yeah, I'd have no problem with having security.
Its at their house. Which has a big yard. tennis court, pool (although its a bit cold here right now) etc. They have I understand invited about 50 and are expecting about another 50 to request to come. Plus some parents.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Its at their house. Which has a big yard. tennis court, pool (although its a bit cold here right now) etc. They have I understand invited about 50 and are expecting about another 50 to request to come. Plus some parents.
At that number of people, they seem to be approaching this prudently. They also apparently are on the wealthier side (assumed because of big yard, pool, tennis court), so it is probably in their interest to keep things under control.

Also, with the general climate of things that have been happening in Oz with parties and social media, inviting 50 people with another 50 expected to also come, means a total of 100 people. This is obviously a large event and there are probably plenty of people who weren't invited for some reason that might try to crash the party or cause a scene.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
It's clear to those of us who read the article that the party mentioned there was a hoax - the girl didn't post the invite on FB - someone else did it in her name. Though it DID get 200,000 "yes" RSVPs.

It's naive in the extreme to think that if 2000+ people descended on your home (they wouldn't be well mannered teens, with gifts for the birthday girl in hand, mind you, looking for an evening of charades and taffy pulling) that you could somehow control them without the use of the local police. Naive to the point of possibly not being a fit parent.

This is NOT "when we were kids" and it's not Mayberry. It's a whole new world. Email, forum boards and blackberries are the tip of the iceberg. If you are not familiar with social networking sites, and you're the parent of a teen, you are putting your child in danger with your ignorance.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
It's clear to those of us who read the article that the party mentioned there was a hoax - the girl didn't post the invite on FB - someone else did it in her name. Though it DID get 200,000 "yes" RSVPs.

It's naive in the extreme to think that if 2000+ people descended on your home (they wouldn't be well mannered teens, with gifts for the birthday girl in hand, mind you, looking for an evening of charades and taffy pulling) that you could somehow control them without the use of the local police. Naive to the point of possibly not being a fit parent.

This is NOT "when we were kids" and it's not Mayberry. It's a whole new world. Email, forum boards and blackberries are the tip of the iceberg. If you are not familiar with social networking sites, and you're the parent of a teen, you are putting your child in danger with your ignorance.
I said the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't see why a parent like me has to get the police involved or hire bouncers. If strange kids start showing up, out they go. If there's some kind of scene, then maybe I'd call the cops, but I think regular parental intervention would do the trick most of the time. There's zero chance that a party at my house would end up with hundred of drunken teens, perhaps unless I was not there.
I'd call the cops if things got out of hand, but the chances of that happening are slim. I think most parents would call the cops if they were needed. I just don't see the need to put out a police alert for an ordinary party. And if my daughter came home with an invite that mentioned professional bouncers and taxicabs on standby for throngs of drunken teens, I'd wonder what the heck kind of party was going on over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting