Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
but its always the same old arguement....

arguing with a kid.....
Seriously? As old as your kids are you have arguments? Over left-overs? You scream at each other over who gets a few bites of shrimp or whatever?

By that age my kids had figured out that the best approach was to sit down next to me and look up at me with those big eyes, compliment me on how nice I looked and then casually mention they were still kind of hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,285,114 times
I hate to be blunt, but your family has disfunction that cannot be solved online. From your posts, everyone in the household contributes to the disfunction. Until y'all want a functional family and are willing to work for it, y'all are doomed to the merry-go-round that is your homelife.

BTW, it is not petty to want your own leftovers, it is petty to leave any left overs on the table just so your kids can't have them.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,959,589 times
This IS a boundary issue. If you just think that all teenagers would behave that way - you are mistaken. My 17 year old wouldn't even think of eating my leftovers. Believe it or not though - many times I'll offer them up to him. Because I know he'd like it and I know I don't need it.

Teenagers, especially boys, can be bottomless pits. I don't see anything unusual about being hungry when they get home after having just eaten out. My son does it all the time - it's a full dinner and about any hour later will have a pbj in his hand!

Marylee - go back and read your original post and try to do it from the eyes of an outsider. I picture you standing there, arms folded, stomping your foot because your kids get more than you. What sounds petty is that you seem mad that the "kids get more than you do", you "want your share", you "didn't get your share", etc. Really?

Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 AM

831 posts, read 1,583,887 times
I have a 12 yr old dd who will order a huge meal and eat the whole thing too. I usually bring 1/2 of my meal home. My dd knows it's mine and she will ask if she can have it. I either tell her yes or no. If I tell her no I will give her a choice of something else to eat. END OF STORY. I am not sure how this could become a problem to argue and yell about?

Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,457,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Or they call CPS on you, or butter the floor, or overspend at the school lunch counter.
(while the mother is busy deciding what to do with 40 boxes of Christmas decorations). I can't believe at times that OP is around 50 years old or so. (she adopted the kids in her late 30s). She sounds like a petulant immature person. One can only surmise how she could parent up to this point. It's like looking inside a brain of someone who sees the world as a collage of overwhelming things, but can't tie them together and make sense or draw conclusions.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:44 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,919,168 times
Are you really making this big of a deal out of LEFTOVERS?! It's as easy as this- the kid asks, you say "yes, you may eat my leftovers," or "no, you may not eat my leftovers. If you do, there will be consequences. However, you're free to eat ..XYZ".

Old 05-14-2011, 02:01 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,383,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
If you are depriving yourself of a regular dinner and having just an appetizer solely because if you take a doggie bag home your kids will try to take it, then I'm sorry but that's just bizarre in the extreme.
I agree.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
Two things trouble me about this post. Firstly my children respect me (at least now) and would not take anything of mine without asking, and I would not take anything of theirs. More importantly, it is very rare to find parents that don't choose to put their children first, often to a fault. If my children even hinted that they wanted my food, I'm sure I would give it to them. Isn't that what most parents do?

Old 05-14-2011, 02:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Two things trouble me about this post. Firstly my children respect me (at least now) and would not take anything of mine without asking, and I would not take anything of theirs. More importantly, it is very rare to find parents that don't choose to put their children first, often to a fault. If my children even hinted that they wanted my food, I'm sure I would give it to them. Isn't that what most parents do?
Nope. If I wanted some of my mom's food, she'd say "well next time we go to that restaurant, you can order it for yourself. THESE leftovers are for me."

Or, she might share her leftovers with me, when she's ready to eat them herself. Often she orders too much for herself, on purpose so she can have leftovers for lunch the next day. If *I* were to eat them, then she'd lose out on the lunch she -planned- on having the next day, and then has to come up with something else.

My mother taught me better than to assume it's okay to deprive someone else of their meal just so I can have something I want.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Nope. If I wanted some of my mom's food, she'd say "well next time we go to that restaurant, you can order it for yourself. THESE leftovers are for me."

Or, she might share her leftovers with me, when she's ready to eat them herself. Often she orders too much for herself, on purpose so she can have leftovers for lunch the next day. If *I* were to eat them, then she'd lose out on the lunch she -planned- on having the next day, and then has to come up with something else.

My mother taught me better than to assume it's okay to deprive someone else of their meal just so I can have something I want.
I think you misunderstood my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting