Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times

Advertisements

I have a fond liking for teens
They are so sweet and funny
My daughter would always tell her friends when their parents didn't care to come to our house I would take care of them.
Now my daughter is 20 and she wants to be in a foster mom to teens
She is very mature for her age and she said in a few years she wants to help teens get a start on life before they have to go out into the world.
She told me she remember one time I came home from work and found a whole bunch of teens in my back yard making a club house in the corner of my yard..I didn't get mad,but realized they were working hard and must of been hungry so I went to McDonalds to get them some dinner. She said her friends loved coming to our house. My son always had his friends over.
My daughter and I talked about it..she lives with me.
I want to be a foster mom and if I am able to we will get a 4 bdrm so the knew additon to the family can have their own room.
We also agreed any payments we get for having a foster child will be put away and be given to the foster child when they become an adult to help them out start of their life.
Im tired of seeing too many teens being neglected.

Thats just my story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I have a fond liking for teens
They are so sweet and funny
My daughter would always tell her friends when their parents didn't care to come to our house I would take care of them.
Now my daughter is 20 and she wants to be in a foster mom to teens
She is very mature for her age and she said in a few years she wants to help teens get a start on life before they have to go out into the world.
She told me she remember one time I came home from work and found a whole bunch of teens in my back yard making a club house in the corner of my yard..I didn't get mad,but realized they were working hard and must of been hungry so I went to McDonalds to get them some dinner. She said her friends loved coming to our house. My son always had his friends over.
My daughter and I talked about it..she lives with me.
I want to be a foster mom and if I am able to we will get a 4 bdrm so the knew additon to the family can have their own room.
We also agreed any payments we get for having a foster child will be put away and be given to the foster child when they become an adult to help them out start of their life.
Im tired of seeing too many teens being neglected.

Thats just my story.
That would be great! My wife and I are foster parents. We recently adopted our little girl. We've talked about some day adopting some of the kids who are close to aging out of the system so that they would have someplace to call home.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
That would be great! My wife and I are foster parents. We recently adopted our little girl. We've talked about some day adopting some of the kids who are close to aging out of the system so that they would have someplace to call home.

Good luck!

Thank you..I submitted a form for a social worker to contact me.
Im reading all I can about the process.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:

Good luck!
Do you have an suggestions on fostering kids? How difficult is it? What kinds of problems have you encountered if any?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:45 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Do you have an suggestions on fostering kids? How difficult is it? What kinds of problems have you encountered if any?
We don't have any biological children, so I have nothing to compare it to. It has its challenges, for sure. The biggest challenge is loving them as your own, knowing they may not be staying. We've been fortunate, so far. Some of our friends who also foster, not so much. It can also expose you to people who are well outside of your comfort zone, which is a good thing.

The biggest reward is to get a glimpse of what God has done for me and also to have a very tangible way of showing God's love, grace, and mercy not only to the kids but the families as well.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
I have a suggestion though....don't take them to McDonalds for dinner!!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
You and your daughter's goals are very admirable. However you need to be aware that most teens in foster care have been in the system for a long time and they got there because of abandonment issues, neglect or abuse and it is not simply a matter of being loved. The scars of trauma in childhood can be devastating and cause many forms of acting out and behavior totally unacceptable.

To become foster parents, you will have to take at least 3 months of training which will help you deal with all these issues. It will be very enlightening and very sad at the same time. We trained with Kids Peace which deals with the most traumatized kids. I don't mean to be unkind but I doubt any agency would let a 20 year old be a foster parent to teens. Still I praise you for your intentions and wish you the very best luck.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
We don't have any biological children, so I have nothing to compare it to. It has its challenges, for sure. The biggest challenge is loving them as your own, knowing they may not be staying. We've been fortunate, so far. Some of our friends who also foster, not so much. It can also expose you to people who are well outside of your comfort zone, which is a good thing.

The biggest reward is to get a glimpse of what God has done for me and also to have a very tangible way of showing God's love, grace, and mercy not only to the kids but the families as well.
I would consider doing it but I wonder how it would be. I'm used to my own biological children who I got to somewhat train ever since they were babies, you get used to them when they're sweet newborns, cute toddlers, etc and so I think that helps when they're not as sweet - and teens aren't all that sweet even if they are your own.

I like the idea of giving a kid a home but my own kids were never a problem, never were abused, abandoned, left in foster homes, never hurt animals, ran with a wild crowd, I don't need much patience with them. Not that every foster child would be a problem. I knew of one couple that tried to adopt but it turned out to be a very bad experience but that's just one couple. And kids should have a chance to have a home.

One problem that couple had was that they possibly weren't told the whole truth about that child, they thought they were getting a 12 year old but the pediatrician said he was more like 14 or 15 (there was no birth certificate) and it's possible he changed after they got him, and it's possible that their lack of experience with kids period was some of the problem. Possibly there were some extreme events in his past that wouldn't be the case with all kids.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Your daughter sounds like a wonderful young woman, but I think a 20 year-old fostering a teen is a very unrealistic goal. There are many mentoring programs that are much better suited to an enthusiastic young adult. Big Brothers Big Sisters is just one, but most cities have an abundance of volunteer opportunities for teen mentoring.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You and your daughter's goals are very admirable. However you need to be aware that most teens in foster care have been in the system for a long time and they got there because of abandonment issues, neglect or abuse and it is not simply a matter of being loved. The scars of trauma in childhood can be devastating and cause many forms of acting out and behavior totally unacceptable.

To become foster parents, you will have to take at least 3 months of training which will help you deal with all these issues. It will be very enlightening and very sad at the same time. We trained with Kids Peace which deals with the most traumatized kids. I don't mean to be unkind but I doubt any agency would let a 20 year old be a foster parent to teens. Still I praise you for your intentions and wish you the very best luck.

Of course we are going to need training..We will get the training and help we need to help these kids nurture..My daughter is only 20, she will not be a foster parent, she does live with me, she will treat the foster kid like a sister or brother. I have dealt with so many kids that parents neglect them.. Not on an everyday bases, so I will have to learn what the these kids have gone thru and what they are dealing with.
I have decided to start the process and take it step by step so I am mentally and emotionaly ready for a foster kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting