Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 AM

88,636 posts, read 84,911,862 times

Advertisements

And does the OP plan to "co-sleep"? That one still cracks me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,575,901 times
Pity we can't talk circumcision as it's a girl.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:56 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
May I add spanking?
You'd be unamerican if you didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And does the OP plan to "co-sleep"? That one still cracks me up.
Seriously. This is still one of the dumbest things I have ever heard and cracks me up everytime too.

I take that back....8 year olds breastfeeding and whatever the crap unschooling is are the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Yes, I know. I'm offensive.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,727,557 times
All right, all right ... hooligans. Back to the topic.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
All right, all right ... hooligans. Back to the topic.
Sorry, Ma.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 AM

124 posts, read 245,702 times
While I believe that the ideal situation would be to be married, what's done is done. Telling the OP that she made a mistake bringing a child into this situation is a moot issue, since you can't "unring" the bell. Can she turn the clock back? Should she have had an abortion? Should she be ostracized from society? Why should her child be any "less" than any other?

When my unmarried daughter became pregnant, I was living 1,500 miles away. I could not in good conscience stay away and let her suffer as that would have also caused my granddaughter to suffer. All I could see was that, regardless of how this child came into being, she was a straight-up miracle from God...a cause for celebration, IMO. How can anyone turn their back on an innocent child for mistakes made by its parents? My daughter knows she has a tough road ahead as a single parent, but she also knows she is not alone. I believe that this is what the OP wants more than anything...to know that she is not alone and can turn to someone for support (not necessarily financial support) when she needs it.

In my daughter's instance, my granddaughter's paternal grandmother wants absolutely nothing to do with her first and only grandchild. No one has asked her for a penny, since my granddaughter wants for nothing. She has chosen to turn her back on this beautiful child and all I feel is pity for her. Her loss!

To the OP, you baby's grandmothers are going to miss out on the best thing that could ever happen to them. Regardless of your circumstances, accept the love and support of those who are willing to give it. I wish you nothing but the best.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:01 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,731,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Ms._Q View Post
While I believe that the ideal situation would be to be married, what's done is done. Telling the OP that she made a mistake bringing a child into this situation is a moot issue, since you can't "unring" the bell. Can she turn the clock back? Should she have had an abortion? Should she be ostracized from society? Why should her child be any "less" than any other?

When my unmarried daughter became pregnant, I was living 1,500 miles away. I could not in good conscience stay away and let her suffer as that would have also caused my granddaughter to suffer. All I could see was that, regardless of how this child came into being, she was a straight-up miracle from God...a cause for celebration, IMO. How can anyone turn their back on an innocent child for mistakes made by its parents? My daughter knows she has a tough road ahead as a single parent, but she also knows she is not alone. I believe that this is what the OP wants more than anything...to know that she is not alone and can turn to someone for support (not necessarily financial support) when she needs it.

In my daughter's instance, my granddaughter's paternal grandmother wants absolutely nothing to do with her first and only grandchild. No one has asked her for a penny, since my granddaughter wants for nothing. She has chosen to turn her back on this beautiful child and all I feel is pity for her. Her loss!

To the OP, you baby's grandmothers are going to miss out on the best thing that could ever happen to them. Regardless of your circumstances, accept the love and support of those who are willing to give it. I wish you nothing but the best.
Oh HEAR HEAR!! Beautful post! Thanks so much!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
OMG.

We all get that no one owes anyone anything. I think since MOST people are giving and charitable it's jarring to meet someone who is not.
BUT it shouldn't be!! What's out of kilter here is our expectations. Because most people are giving, we judge the ones who are not when we shouldn't. I've seen too much life not to realize that there may be a reason they are not giving and maybe I really don't want to know it.

Graciously accept anything given but expect nothing because, really, nothing is owed to you.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM

35 posts, read 87,520 times
To the OP: Haven't got time to read all the replies but "I've been there done that", you can't change someone as you probably already know, it does hurt, for me it wasn't about money at all, I was disappointed with my husbands mother more than anything else, because I know if that person was me I'd be loving and couldn't wait to see my grandchild but, people are just different, their loss.

Concentrate on the other people in your life, I wish you all the best.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
BUT it shouldn't be!! What's out of kilter here is our expectations. Because most people are giving, we judge the ones who are not when we shouldn't. I've seen too much life not to realize that there may be a reason they are not giving and maybe I really don't want to know it.

Graciously accept anything given but expect nothing because, really, nothing is owed to you.

Eh, I'll keep my positive view of the human race. I do believe and will continue to believe that most people are giving. The ones that aren't? I'll continue to question why. Because I cannot imagine being like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting