Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
they do a CBC to almost everybody if not everybody that enters the emergency room...
That's not true. My son has been in the ER multiple times, too many to mention for so many different things, and his blood was NEVER drawn in the ER. The one time he had his blood drawn it was at the lab via a prescription written by his pediatrician. My blood is rarely drawn when I go to the ER too. It depends on why you're in the ER. Some illnesses come in waves through the population and the ER can tell what a child has without doing bloodwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not true. My son has been in the ER multiple times, too many to mention for so many different things, and his blood was NEVER drawn in the ER. The one time he had his blood drawn it was at the lab via a prescription written by his pediatrician. My blood is rarely drawn when I go to the ER too. It depends on why you're in the ER. Some illnesses come in waves through the population and the ER can tell what a child has without doing bloodwork.
Well, I guess it depends on the hospital, but I have worked in 2 different hospitals in my life and both of them had policies that everybody gets a CBC, includings childrens.
this is becoming more common in hospitals, this is to cover there behind...

Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Well, I guess it depends on the hospital, but I have worked in 2 different hospitals in my life and both of them had policies that everybody gets a CBC, includings childrens.
this is becoming more common in hospitals, this is to cover there behind...
I think it's more likely a regional issue than depending on hospital. I've been to more than 10 different hospitals in my city and none have done a routine CBC. It's pointless. Why do a CBC for a broken leg, asthma, etc.? There are many things people go to the ER for that don't require bloodwork. And it's not becoming a common trend here. I've been in the ERs 5 times in the last year (the last time being just 6 weeks ago) for various family members. Bloodwork was not done at any visit. The policy you describe sounds more like milking the insurance companies with unnecessary charges than it does covering behinds.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
The best advice I can give is to remain calm and explain things to your kids so they are not as scared. I would not hold the child while blood is being drawn. It will help so you dont feel like you are participating in torture. I think sometimes when the child is being held by the parent it makes them more upset. I always had my son lay on the table, look at the wall or off in the opposite direction and remained close to his face, talking to him, smoothing his hair, tell him how brave he is, etc. Please don't put off medical treatment because of a blood draw. You will feel a lot worse if your child had a seizure from a high temp. I understand what you are feeling, some parents seem to take it in stride and others really get upset (me). I can't handle it when a small child gets stitches. When my grandmother broke her hip, I was in the ER with her. A little boy in the next room was getting stitches. I was so upset I had to leave. When my own son fell and needed treatment, the awesome ER doc suggested she would glue and put a butterfly stitch on it instead of the traditional stitches. I thanked her so much I made an arse out of myself.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think it's more likely a regional issue than depending on hospital. I've been to more than 10 different hospitals in my city and none have done a routine CBC. It's pointless. Why do a CBC for a broken leg, asthma, etc.? There are many things people go to the ER for that don't require bloodwork. And it's not becoming a common trend here. I've been in the ERs 5 times in the last year (the last time being just 6 weeks ago) for various family members. Bloodwork was not done at any visit. The policy you describe sounds more like milking the insurance companies with unnecessary charges than it does covering behinds.
CBC are part of the visit, so the hospital is not getting any money for it..
You get very little if anything from a CBC, I was an accountant for hospital, and can tell you that a lot is already covered by the visit cost, for example when you stay at a hospital the insurance is already paying for the room, that also comes with a lot of other procedures.
So when you are admitted and they do 10 CBC in one day, that doesnt mean they are milking anything, they are actually losing money, since they are only going to get the regular fee that covers the blood work...
CBC for asthma should be done to check the eosinophils.

Broken bone? well to see if there is an a secondary reason for the broken bone, weak bone etc...

Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I must not be understanding something..maybe I'm getting confused. "Drawing blood" is a whole world away from "spinal tap."

If the worry is a spinal tap, then yeah I'd be anxious and worried and probably pop a couple valiums over the idea of it too.

But drawing blood? Really? Everything you do to "prepare" your child for the possibility of getting blood drawn, is another reminder that they have some reason to fear it.

Bring the kid in. The doctor pulls out the needle, says he needs to draw blood. Kid's eyes widen, face turns pale. Doctor swabs kid's skin. Doctor pokes kid's arm with the needle. Before kid has a chance to burst out with his first glass-shattering scream, the deed is done, kid has a pretty new purple bandaid and a lollipop, and is sent on his merry way.

Don't try to "prepare" a child for getting blood drawn. It'll just prove to him that he has reason to be mortified of the whole process.

Edited to add: I used to scream too when I got my blood drawn as a kid. But I got over it by learning that it was actually pretty cool to watch the vials fill up with my blood. My mother passes out when SHE gets a needle in her arm. My sister gets a migraine hours before she knows she has to do it. I just watch and pump my fist to see if I can control the flow, cause it's just so neat

Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,125 times
Quote:
CBC are part of the visit, so the hospital is not getting any money for it..
You get very little if anything from a CBC, I was an accountant for hospital, and can tell you that a lot is already covered by the visit cost, for example when you stay at a hospital the insurance is already paying for the room, that also comes with a lot of other procedures.
So when you are admitted and they do 10 CBC in one day, that doesnt mean they are milking anything, they are actually losing money, since they are only going to get the regular fee that covers the blood work...
CBC for asthma should be done to check the eosinophils.

Broken bone? well to see if there is an a secondary reason for the broken bone, weak bone etc...
This could not be more inaccurate.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
This could not be more inaccurate.
Well lets see, I have worked 10 years in hospital as an accountant and one year as the CFO of a hospital..
I think how the billing of a hospital works.
Are you talking about that or something else?

Let me give you an example, you are admintted to the hospital, the insurance pays the hospital each night and the hospitalist (unless the hospitalist works at a set salary, which then the hospitals gets the money for the doctors services). Lets say the insurance pays 1,000 each night (just to give a round number), the billing department will charge for each night of stay and for every little procedure done to the patient (pt). That doesnt mean that every little procedure will be paid for, because under the 1,000 dollars pay per night are already included some normal procedures, like blood work.
Now that doesnt mean that you need air, that would be included, but some procedure are included.
Same goes for when you visit a doctors office, some procedures are included in the original visit, and the doctor wont get extra money, this is not for all procedures and it depends on each insurance and each contract.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Enough with the silliness. If there is an obvious source of infection, such as throat, ear, etc, they will more than likely not do any blood work. If this is a repeat issue, and they are looking for other underlying issues, they may do a CBC to check the white cell count. If you are seen for normal kid trauma such as a sprain or broken arm, a CBC will show absolutely nothing. If you are seen for a fever of unknown origin, with mild symptoms, it will be assumed to be a viral illness, and a CBC is of no value.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Enough with the silliness. If there is an obvious source of infection, such as throat, ear, etc, they will more than likely not do any blood work. If this is a repeat issue, and they are looking for other underlying issues, they may do a CBC to check the white cell count. If you are seen for normal kid trauma such as a sprain or broken arm, a CBC will show absolutely nothing. If you are seen for a fever of unknown origin, with mild symptoms, it will be assumed to be a viral illness, and a CBC is of no value.
I disagree, a CBC can tell you if the infection is a bacteria or a virus...
But we can continue, for any illness you can put forward, I just call my wife and ask her, she is a doctor (pediatrician).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting