Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Interestingly the relationship between iodine and shellfish allergies has been disproven. In other words one may be allergic to shellfish and/or iodine or more likely the radiocontrast medium, but there is no link.

Quote:
People with shellfish allergy are sometimes warned against iodine, an element present in a wide range of items including shellfish, seaweed, cleaning products, and X-ray dyes. However, iodine allergy is unrelated to shellfish allergy. The allergen present in shellfish is not iodine but muscle protein in the flesh.
Shellfish & Fish Allergy

Shellfish allergy: Prevention - MayoClinic.com

The relationship of radiocontrast, iodine, and s... [J Emerg Med. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Interestingly the relationship between iodine and shellfish allergies has been disproven. In other words one may be allergic to shellfish and/or iodine or more likely the radiocontrast medium, but there is no link.
Thanks for the links.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:

Shellfish & Fish Allergy

Shellfish allergy: Prevention - MayoClinic.com

The relationship of radiocontrast, iodine, and s... [J Emerg Med. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Interesting. I will print out an bring to my doctor.

I am allergic to iodine based dyes and uncleaned shrimp. My doctor told me that the intestine of the shrimp is full of iodine rich waste. Maybe she was wrong. I have thought my whole life I was allergic to literally one thing. Apparently two!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Interesting. I will print out an bring to my doctor.

I am allergic to iodine based dyes and uncleaned shrimp. My doctor told me that the intestine of the shrimp is full of iodine rich waste. Maybe she was wrong. I have thought my whole life I was allergic to literally one thing. Apparently two!
Yes, it is definitely time for this urban legend to be put to rest. It is possible that you are allergic to both, although unlikely. May be time for a second opinion?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Yes, it is definitely time for this urban legend to be put to rest. It is possible that you are allergic to both, although unlikely. May be time for a second opinion?
To one of the top rated allergists in the area? Probably not.

I am not someone with multiple allergies. I am literally allergic to contrast dye and uncleanee shrimp. Exact same reaction to both (not anaphylaxis) but I can eat well cleaned shrimp and all other seafood with no problem.

I suspect I just need clarification as to what the allergy is actually to, thinking back I am fairly sure my doc continually used the terms allergy to iodine based contrast. More likely my mistake than theirs.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
To one of the top rated allergists in the area? Probably not.

I am not someone with multiple allergies. I am literally allergic to contrast dye and uncleanee shrimp. Exact same reaction to both (not anaphylaxis) but I can eat well cleaned shrimp and all other seafood with no problem.

I suspect I just need clarification as to what the allergy is actually to, thinking back I am fairly sure my doc continually used the terms allergy to iodine based contrast. More likely my mistake than theirs.
Whatever works for you. I will add my little story. We were seeing the top allergist in our area, and he was wanting to do a food challenge on my son, who has a severe tree nut allergy. The more I read about it, taking into consideration my son's RAST results and clinical history, it made no sense to do a food challenge, which is an exceedingly dangerous test, and unneccessary. I decided to see another partner in the practice for a second opinion, and he was pretty outspoken regarding the fact that this was a big clinical point of contention between the partners, and he highly discourages food challenges in patients with a clearly defined, and significant allergy. We switched doctors.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Default "top doctors"

Quote:
Whatever works for you. I will add my little story. We were seeing the top allergist in our area, and he was wanting to do a food challenge on my son, who has a severe tree nut allergy. The more I read about it, taking into consideration my son's RAST results and clinical history, it made no sense to do a food challenge, which is an exceedingly dangerous test, and unnecessary. I decided to see another partner in the practice for a second opinion, and he was pretty outspoken regarding the fact that this was a big clinical point of contention between the partners, and he highly discourages food challenges in patients with a clearly defined, and significant allergy. We switched doctors.
"Top" anything is subjective and changeable. Over the years I have been amazed at the disagreement of doctors over treatment and even diagnosis of disease and syndromes. It depends on where and when they were educated, and what their particular "academy", association, or societies, or other governing bodies have voted, or decided is the proper one.

Also everyone thinks that theirs is the top. And that is as it should be. If he is tops for you --great.

No I'm not down on the medical profession, I just know that you have to shop around for a good fit. If something doesn't seem right to you--you should get another opinion, like Zim did.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:46 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts and advice so far! Skahar: hypothyroidism runs in my family, so double thanks for relating your experience. I would have never thought to ask the doctor of checking it.

JustJulia: I have been trying to remove dairy since I started having my suspicions, although this past weekend it ended slipping in. We had cheese pizza Saturday night, and he said it was hurting badly again. But it didn't hurt when he had a croissant Thursday night and homemade donuts the next morning (at least not any more than the non-dairy days). But then I let him put in chocolate chips in the otherwise dairy-free cookies and he complained about his tummy again that night. So far, the most direct correalation seems to be with melted cheese and milk, so the chocolate (if that was the cause) threw me for a loop, but we will see.

Has your daughter's reaction to cheese and milk gotten worse or has it stayed the same? That is my main concern right now: first, I don't want to continue to damage his digestive tract if that is what is happening; and second, I don't want his reaction to get progressively worse.

Again, thanks for sharing!
What type of dairy was in the doughnuts? Were they baked in the oven or fried. If baked for how long and at what temperature.

The reason I ask is because some people can tolerate dairy that is baked at high temperatures for a long time, like a cake that bakes for an hour but not dairy found in a cookie that bakes for 10 minutes. I'm also wondering what kind of dairy because if it is a lactose intolerance he may be able to tolerate some dairy like real butter found in a croissant but not others like milk solids that would be found in most chocolate chips or mozzarella cheese.

Both of my dd's have had issues with dairy. They can tolerate some things like real butter and aged cheese but not others like ice cream, milk, yogurt, soft cheese, etc.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
That is interesting. There was only butter in the dough, and then they were fried. However, I made three kinds and he had one of each: cinnamon and sugar, glazed (with cream), and Bavarian Cream (milk in the custard, chocolate and cream in the frosting).

I did a total dairy day soon after I suspected his issue to be with dairy. He had milk and cereal (but not milk IN cereal), and couldn't finish the milk because of his stomach. I thought, "Aha! I was right!" but then heard no more major complaints the rest of the day when he had baked mac-n-cheese and cheese and spinach enchiladas. And I put a LOT of cheese in both. He also had pudding for snacks, but didn't each much. So perhaps it is the baking? My suspicion started with cheese pizza, and was reaffirmed when we had cheese pizza a week later. However, both times, the pizza was woodfire/homemade. These types are baked at an extremely high heat for a very short amount of time, approximately 10 minutes. Compare that to the 35-45 minutes of baking for the mac-n-cheese and enchiladas.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
If you think it's dairy, the best thing to do would be to eliminate all dairy from his diet for 3 weeks and then reintroduce it in the form of a tall glass of milk or a milkshake. You'll know after that.

If you want to try this, read labels as dairy is in lots of foods that you might not suspect. Fortunately there are lots of alternatives. If one brand of bread has dairy in it, pick up another loaf and you'll soon find one that's fine. There are lots of dairy free alternatives for cheese, milk, butter, yogurt, ice cream , chocolate, etc. that taste good. Also, avoid replacing all dairy with soy. Soy tends to be a problem for those who have problems with dairy. If you want some ideas on what's good feel free to DM me.

If you don't want to take it that far you may try to just eliminate dairy that is higher in lactose such as milk, ice cream, sour cream, soft cheese and not worry about hidden dairy. Your son could try aged cheese (Tillamook has a great aged cheddar) and real butter (cultured is best).

Best of luck on figuring things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting