Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 17,746 times

Advertisements

I have been noticing that a lot of the people that I went to high school with are already married with at least one kid, some have multiple children. I am 23 years old and just graduated from college in the healthcare field, now making almost $30/hr in my profession. I am /very/ stressed lately from work and noticed how happy the girls I went to high school with seem on facebook, being stay at home moms and never having to endure college. A lot of them marry men that are a bit older, and these men often have great jobs to support the family so the mom doesnt have to work. Is that the way to go?

I realize this is a sensitive topic. I apologize to anyone I may offend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA324 View Post
I have been noticing that a lot of the people that I went to high school with are already married with at least one kid, some have multiple children. I am 23 years old and just graduated from college in the healthcare field, now making almost $30/hr in my profession. I am /very/ stressed lately from work and noticed how happy the girls I went to high school with seem on facebook, being stay at home moms and never having to endure college marrying men that are a bit older, and these men often have great jobs to support the family so the mom doesnt have to work. Is that the way to go?
Depends on the person.

Jobs will always be stressful. Life will always be stressful. The worst thing you can do is compare yourself to others. I love this quote:

"Never compare your bloopers to someone else's highlight reel."

In other words, you never really know what someone else's life is like. YOUR LIFE is all you have control over.

Forget Facebook and look for real-life ways to have fun, enjoy the life you have and reduce your stress.

And for the record, "having kids" will NEVER be on a list of ways to reduce stress.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
1) Find your own happy. Someone else's happy isn't going to help you. If you are over stressed, solve that problem, but don't assume that you should solve it the same way that anyone else did.

2) Facebook lies. Never forget that.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Definitely school before kids. You can go to school and have kids, but it's much harder. Kids take up a lot of time and being a parent is a full time, stress-filled job. Get your degree and if you choose to stay home when you have kids, you'll have that degree waiting for you when it's time to go back to work.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
I have been noticing that a lot of the people that I went to high school with are already married with at least one kid, some have multiple children. I am 23 years old and just graduated from college in the healthcare field, now making almost $30/hr in my profession. I am /very/ stressed lately from work and noticed how happy the girls I went to high school with seem on facebook, being stay at home moms and never having to endure college. A lot of them marry men that are a bit older, and these men often have great jobs to support the family so the mom doesnt have to work. Is that the way to go?

The divorce rate is 50%. Chances are half of the people you're looking at on FB will divorce and without a degree will find it difficult to support their kids. Get an education!

Old 06-30-2015, 02:26 PM

154 posts, read 259,981 times
We are taught that things should be done a certain way. School - Marriage - Kids... but things do not always happen like that and that is okay. Many people don't plan on having kids early but it happens and they are then forced to stop their studies and raise their child. Others are lucky enough to still have a child early and have enough left to be able to continue their schooling.

Every situation is different and you have to choose what is right for you.

I, personally got married at 19 while in college. My husband drop out of college but I finished my degree, we also had children very early on but it still worked out for us. More importantly, these are decisions we made.

Please do not pay attention to what your high school classmates post on FB. Remember, other people can only see what you choose to show them.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2015, 02:43 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
I'm trying to get past your statement that all of your friends from high school got married right away and started having kids and you are the only one that went to college

Old 06-30-2015, 04:52 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
Education before kids - you never know when you might be the sole support of said kids (or just yourself) and an education is something no one can take away from you.

I "jokingly" say this to my kids (25 & 16) but I'm not really "joking"
20's are for education, travel and as much protected sex with as many people as you want.
I want to see them explore their world and options before "settling down".

Old 06-30-2015, 05:04 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times
Quote:

I know a girl who is crying about how now she is single mom at 19. Some people are living check to check. You did the right thing.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:36 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Jobs will always be stressful
"having kids" will NEVER be on a list of ways to reduce stress.

Not all jobs are stressful. Some people have wonderful jobs and love every minute of the work.

For some people, the stress they would get from having kids, would be less than the stress they would get from not having any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting