Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 AM

92 posts, read 345,763 times

Advertisements

Our daughter is turning 4 and I am having a really hard time thinking of ideas for a birthday party!
She asked if she can have one (b/c she went to one a few months ago). Her b-day is in December but we wanted to have a party for her in January b/c of the Holiday season. We live in MN so I think it should probably be an indoor party somewhere (its currently 25* outside!)

Does anyone have any ideas what we should do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:17 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
For my dd's 4th bday, we had a small party at an informal tea house in Albuquerque with her 3 "bestest friends" and their moms.

The ladies that own the shop really fussed over the girls. We gave "tea for one" pots instead of goody bags and the girls had a wonderful time eating cookies, drinking pink tea, etc. We all dressed up and even wore white gloves (check ebay or oriental trading co this time of year) I got a deal for going at an "off time". We were the only customers in the shop at the time.

If there isn't one near you, you could do it at home. Possibly hire a teenage girl or two to act as servers- make it "fancy". You could rent tables, linens and a tea service from a party rental place (cheaper than you might think) if you don't have them or can't borrow them. Make sure all the guests know to dress up though!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,061,178 times
What about an indoor bounce/jump house kind of place? My son has attended several here in Stl. They have been thrown by boys and girls and the kids always had a lot of fun.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
a gymnastics center. mine always love it, Ive taught several, and it always goes over in a grand way.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:06 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
We had Pocahantos come to my 4 year old's party- back when the movie was out 14 years ago but one party i recall that was so cute around that age was bringing your favorite stuffed animal to a tea party-

Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I was going to suggest a tea party at home, but also like the indoor jump house idea and gymnastics party. My son had a party at the Y gymnastics center for his 5th birthday and they set up fun obstacle courses and such. Some gymnastics places have a tumble track with a foam pit now, which kids absolutely love.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I am in MN too-are you in the metro area? Some ideas for our area would be:

-bowling-most lanes have bumper bowling,
-have a party at the MN Zoo,
-a party at the St. Paul Children's Museum,
-I like the tea party idea and there are several bed and breakfasts around the area that will do that,
-sledding party if we have snow,
-we did an ice skating party one year (the rink had push bars for the kids to use if they couldn't skate by then) the kids had a BLAST.
-There is a Dave and Buster's in the north metro if you want to do something like that (arcade type place).

Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
A family tradition we have is to give a dress up party to girls when they are somewhere between 4 to 6 years old. We have an area with dress up dresses, one with purses, one with shoes, one for hats, and one area for make-up and perfume. The girls are given paper money either when they come or with the party invitation and told that they will get their outfit at the party. All of the dress-up items can be bought cheaply at thrift stores or by donations from friends. We put price tags on the items themselves or tape a poster with the price near the items. You will need quite a few helpers but it is a really fun party. After the girls are all dressed up we have a style show and take a picture of each which we later give them.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM

51 posts, read 87,823 times
Instead of a cake, make cupcakes and have a cupcake decorating contest or an ice cream sundae buffet.

Arts and crafts are always fun. We have had birthdays with bead stringing, shaving cream sculptures, face painting, etc. One year, we traced all of the kids' outlines on butcher paper and gave them markers, crayons, stickers, feathers, etc. to dress themselves up. That was a huge hit at 4 or 5.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:24 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingnightmare View Post
Our daughter is turning 4 and I am having a really hard time thinking of ideas for a birthday party!
She asked if she can have one (b/c she went to one a few months ago). Her b-day is in December but we wanted to have a party for her in January b/c of the Holiday season. We live in MN so I think it should probably be an indoor party somewhere (its currently 25* outside!)

Does anyone have any ideas what we should do??
We did the jumping place for my dd 4th b-day. She wants to do it again for her 5th.
The first question is who are you going to invite. Recently a little girl in my dd pre-school invited only the girls to her b-day parents. The invitations were handed at school by one of the teachers and some of the boys moms were upset. So if your planning to invite school kids then I wouldn't do a girls only party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting