Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:31 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,567 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an at home teaching helper to improve my child's reading skills. We read books and I also assign her vocabulary words to learn and memorize in addition to the weekly vocabulary words in school- but it isn't helping.

I assume I'm going about this all wrong and I don't want to make learning anymore unattractive (compared to video games and such) than it is becoming.

Anyone used this program or something similar that has worked? I guess my next step is Sylvan but the reviews seem to be rather mixed on that method also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 02:48 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I am looking for an at home teaching helper to improve my child's reading skills. We read books and I also assign her vocabulary words to learn and memorize in addition to the weekly vocabulary words in school- but it isn't helping.

I assume I'm going about this all wrong and I don't want to make learning anymore unattractive (compared to video games and such) than it is becoming.

Anyone used this program or something similar that has worked? I guess my next step is Sylvan but the reviews seem to be rather mixed on that method also.

How old is your child?

My mother used this for my 10 year old sister. I guess there are programs for Kindergarten through 9th grade. It helped.

http://www.scorelearning.com/?source...FREhDQoddiuzZw

Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM

517 posts, read 1,963,954 times
I tried HOP with my daughter when she was younger but it was difficult bc my son was a toddler and he didn't give us much quiet time to focus.

However, when my son was about 4, he started using the program... himself. He was so inspired by my daughter learning to read, I guess he decided he wanted to read, too! I have to say it helped but I think it would have helped more if I spent more time working closely with him and the program. He's in kindergarten now and loves to read. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 PM

484 posts, read 1,584,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
I tried HOP with my daughter when she was younger but it was difficult bc my son was a toddler and he didn't give us much quiet time to focus.

However, when my son was about 4, he started using the program... himself. He was so inspired by my daughter learning to read, I guess he decided he wanted to read, too! I have to say it helped but I think it would have helped more if I spent more time working closely with him and the program. He's in kindergarten now and loves to read. Good luck.
I completely agree with this. Hooked on Phonics works wonders, but only if you truly have the time to dedicate to it. With my 5 year old, we still occasionally use hooked on phonics to "touch up" on her reading skills (she can read, but still struggles sometimes) and it's worked great. However, it definitely needs to be a one-on-one type situation in order for children to really get anything out of it, in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,252 times
What's the age of your daughter, and is she falling behind her grade's reading skills?

Mine will be 6 in a couple of months, and she is in K. She memorizes words given in class (there are about 30 words now) and reads simple books given out by her teacher - but still balks at any simple Level 1 book taken from a library. She would be more interested in playing games like Snakes and Ladders where you have to finish words to move ahead, than just read a book. So far I'm not worried, our school doesn't really have a requirement for Kindergardeners to be able to read by the end of this year.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,567 times
She isn't proficient at her reading level (1st grade). I knew she struggled, but her last progress report didn't indicate any troble. That also may have been because she transferred schools last year.

I tried to get her placed in a private school last year because the area we were in didn't have good schools. They tested her and told me she may be dyslexic. When I sent in the paperwork to her teacher at the school she was in at the time- they sent the paperwork back to the developmental center stating that she was doing fine. The people at the center were like- "If the teacher doesn't see a problem we don't need to proceed." So at the end of her kindergarten year we moved and she got into a better school and here I am.

So I don't know if she is dyslexic, or just falling behind because I lack the know how to help. Some books she reads fine, then others it is a struggle. I loved to read as a kid and I don't want it to be viewed as punishment or something boring.

One week she'll know a word, then 2 weeks later she won't remember. Every word she has trouble with when we read together I write down on a sheet to learn at another time, but the list keeps getting longer and longer before I can tackle even half of them.

Now that I saw the progress report- I am ready to get proactive.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:26 PM

If I suspected possible dyslexia, I'd be looking into something like HOP, too - board games and CD games that they have for that level. Amazon has educational software for kids, too

Amazon.com: Children's Software: Software

Reading to her a lot, not making her to read, but opening her mind to the big world that is out there in the books. Some award system for memorizing a list of words. No, you don't want to associate punishment with learning.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
My son is dyslexic. Hooked on Phonics is not the right reading program for dyslexic kids.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:21 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,488 times
Have you tried using home made flashcards for the sight words using index cards? 5 minutes a day (every day)... you never move any of the cards "out", you just add new ones once she has mastered the ones you have. By the end of 1st grade, kids are supposed to know 4-500 sight words (here in our school district). Repetition helps.

The homeschool phonics program we're using from K12 curriculum is really helping my 1st grader. I've always kept up/retained the sight words, but she didn't advance as quickly as she's doing now. This program uses magnetic white boards and letter tiles... it's a lot of fun for her.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
My son is dyslexic. Hooked on Phonics is not the right reading program for dyslexic kids.

Okay, and...? Suspense is killing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting