Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Stay in a hotel at the destination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellebramble View Post
Thanks for your replies. I live in Brooklyn now, but we are moving to Rockland County, so I won't be able to start them in their new school. I guess what was holding me back was that they have been in a private school, and the thought of paying all the fees, uniform, tuition etc for 3 wks is a pain! But better than them missing school. Thanks again.
Becca? That you?

Can you afford to rent in Rockland County for those three weeks?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
If it's possible, it would be best to start them at their new school district on the first day of school.

Talk to the district and see if they will allow you to drive your children to their new school until you move there.

Keeping them home isn't going to make it easier on them to adjust to starting a new school weeks after the other students have settled in.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I'm wondering if you really even have a choice. By law, your kids have to go to school (maybe not the kindergartner). Does the new district start at the same time as the old one? I mean would they be missing 3 weeks of school completely? Is there a way you could move early and stay some place else for 3 weeks so the kids can start school at the new place?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm wondering if you really even have a choice. By law, your kids have to go to school (maybe not the kindergartner). Does the new district start at the same time as the old one? I mean would they be missing 3 weeks of school completely? Is there a way you could move early and stay some place else for 3 weeks so the kids can start school at the new place?
No, children do not have to go to school until they are 7 in many states. Cutoff dates may also be different in different states (of course, the OP will be in the same state). School start dates though can vary from district to district.

In New York, the compulsory age is 6, but you can homeschool for a period of time as long as you tell the district that is your plan

http://www.ncsl.org/print/educ/Compu...chAgeChart.pdf

Kindergarten Cut-Off Dates

Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We also had a similar situation when my kids were entering 1st, 2nd and 7th grade. In our case, it was a construction delay that kept us from moving into the new house, but we had already closed on the old.
Because we were moving to a rural area, we were living in a hotel about 30 miles away from the new school.

I went to the administration and explained the situation. They were willing to work with us, and provided work so the kids could keep up. Eventually I began taking them to the new school for 4 hours a day to avoid rush hour traffic.

The nice part was that by not starting when everyone else did, my kids didn't get lost in the shuffle. Their teachers knew they were new to the area, and everyone welcomed them.
Great advice Mattie!

Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Staying at a hotel for three weeks would be really expensive. I don't think that is a viable option unless OP is well off. As far as the law goes, I'm positive most states have a guideline of 7 to start school by. PLUS, if OP homeschools the children til they start in Rockland County, she will not be in violation of the law.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
I would drive up to the new school rather than having a phone call. You see where that went: they just said to come in when you get there. Go up on the second day of school so you know the teachers are there and ask if they will give you some guidance on what they will be doing for the first few weeks of school because you want to get the kids into the swing of things before you move.

It is 43 miles to Rockland County from south Brooklyn. If you do not work during the day, I would suggest you enroll them and drive them there for the three weeks.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Keep in mind that 43 miles can take upwards of 90-120 mins with NYC rush hour Traffic. The OP would be better served useing that 4 hrs a day Home Schooling them. Then having them in the Car (and is it really a good idea for the OP 6-8hr driving a day?) How much packing for the move will she get done? If the move in date gets delayed how long does she continue this daily Grind?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Keep in mind that 43 miles can take upwards of 90-120 mins with NYC rush hour Traffic. The OP would be better served useing that 4 hrs a day Home Schooling them. Then having them in the Car (and is it really a good idea for the OP 6-8hr driving a day?) How much packing for the move will she get done? If the move in date gets delayed how long does she continue this daily Grind?
120 minutes twice a day is 4 hours, not 6-8. It's an option that some might choose to take.

The other option is always there to visit the school and attempt to get copies of what they will be doing for three weeks. Homeschooling them is fine but if what she's teaching does not mirror what the school is teaching, they will be a full three weeks behind and have to make up that work anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting