Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:47 AM

51 posts, read 219,725 times

Advertisements

My grandmother is trying to find some Wii games that are suitable for her 8 year old grandson (my cousin). He wanted Call of Duty after playing it with his older brother when he visited a few weeks ago. I alerted grandma to the fact that those games are rated for people 18+ or 13+.

Are there any shooting or fighting Wii games that are appropriate for an 8 year old? I think even the Nerf shooting one is rated T (13+, I think). Although I assume it's probably ok. I see there is one called Reload, which doesn't involve shooting at "live" targets and therefore, doesn't involve blood. Then there are some hunting games, some of which are very cartoonish. But all of those games are rated T for teens.

Also, I was wondering (because no one else ever bothers to think about these things) if someone should tell my cousin that he's not going to be getting Call of Duty for Christmas and explain why. He really has his heart set on that game and that's all he wants. He probably thinks he will get it too. I figure that if he thinks he's going to get it and then doesn't, he'll be upset and have a meltdown Christmas morning. It seems like the best thing to do would be to have one of his parents or grandma explain beforehand that he won't be getting Call of Duty and the reason why. It seems like something like that happened to me once, when I was a kid. I think I was upset because I didn't get the only thing I actually wanted. It would've been nice if someone had told me I wasn't going to get it, whatever it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Turn the Wii off and have him go outside and shoot hoops or go skating or something.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Here is a list of Wii games for the ten and under age group:
Browse All Games at Nintendo :: Games

Yes, I think somebody should prepare your cousin for the reality that the game he wants is not a possibility. A simple explanation that the game isn't to be sold to/for anyone under 18 should suffice. That would give him time to readjust his expectations and maybe come up with an acceptable alternate.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
I don't personally buy into the video game rating system that they use. There are plenty of games rated for a more mature audience that also perfectly fine for kids, the key is to do your research. I agree that Call of Duty and Medal of Honor are not really appropriate for 8 year olds, but there are some shooters that are. Most get the T for Teen rating simply because they involve shooting something.

Here are some that I would suggest that aren't simply hunting games or target shooters:

Jurassic: The Hunted - In this you fight and shoot dinosaurs, kind of like in one of the Jurassic Park movies.

Mad Dog McCree Gunslinger Pack - This is a wildwest shooter that is a port from the old 3D hologram arcade game. You do shoot people but they are "villains" in the wildwest sense and there is no blood.

Link's Crossbow Training - This is the game that comes with the Wii Zapper and is a great game. It has regular target shooting levels, but also has a couple other modes that involve fighting off monsters from the Zelda games.

Nerf-N-Strike Double Blast Bundle - This is two games in one and comes with an actual Nerf gun that can also be used as a blaster for the game. You shoot people, but you are doing it with Nerf darts.

Overall, Jurassic: The Hunted comes closest to a sort of Call of Duty type game. The best game in the bunch though is Link's Crossbow Training. The Nerf is also pretty good, but kind of limited.

If you can find out what else he is into I would highly suggest the Lego series for Wii which includes everything from Star Wars and Pirates of the Carribean to Batman and Indiana Jones. These are some of my sons favorite games. If he is into Star Wars at all, the newest one Star Wars III lets you do a lot of cool stuff including command armies of soldiers in battles. You get to blow things up and shoot people, but they are all Lego people and there is no blood or anything over the top.

On the topic of what to tell the kid who expects Call of Duty, I would just be honest. My son asks for games all the time that I tell him he is not allowed to have or play because they are for older kids. Just be upfront that they aren't appropriate for him to play just like some movies aren't appropriate for him to see. It can be tough though as chances are there are at least a couple kids in his class that have and play those games.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:27 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
this is a good question i am also trying to get a video game for several nephews and cousins who are under age 13.

growing up with 5 brothers i was exposed to video games, i know that when i was a litltle girl"resident evil" used to scare the hell out of me. now it's not too bad

Old 12-08-2011, 02:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
I like the WII more than XBox or Playstation-we play together quite a bit as a family. There is a duckhunt for the WII which imo is age appropriate. Some of the hunting games are mild. I love the outdoor sports and dance games-gets you up and active.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:05 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Turn the Wii off and have him go outside and shoot hoops or go skating or something.
lmao @ the couch potatoes

Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,186 times
Why does it need to be a fighting or shooting game? I'm just wondering because I have two boys ages 13 and 17 and we don't have any of those games. Actually DS has a paitnball game. Otherwise we have lego star wars, lego indiana jones, a lot of the wii sports ones, racing games. There's more to choose from besides shooting, just saying.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:24 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
Why does it need to be a fighting or shooting game? I'm just wondering because I have two boys ages 13 and 17 and we don't have any of those games. Actually DS has a paitnball game. Otherwise we have lego star wars, lego indiana jones, a lot of the wii sports ones, racing games. There's more to choose from besides shooting, just saying.
even the lego indiana jones has shooting in it.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:26 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
I will say though, I do not think there is anything wrong with an 8yr old, having and playing the call of duty games. my kids have been playing them since they were 5 and 6. they are now 8 & 9 and love playing modern warfare 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting