Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

About every 2 years my adult daughter has her beautiful hair cut for a donation to Locks of Love. It is a tradition with her best friend. This article is interesting and I think this cancer survivor should be able to do the same thing. So what if he is a boy? I think the school board is being ridiculous and rigid. What do you think?

Cancer Survivor Teen Suspended from Michigan School for Locks of Love Hair - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Totally unreasonable, they are....

schools need to put time/effort/money into serious issues instead of stamping out a kid's helpful and generous gesture.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
1. He is a senior who plans to grow his hair another 10 inches. He can cut it now, and begin growing it out. It will add exactly 3 months to the years it will take him to grow his hair that long.

2. Even locks for love has suggested that there are many other ways for this boy to help the cause besides growing out his hair.

3. Locks of Love is FOR ALOPECIA NOT cancer. Additionally, in 15 years they have done 2k wigs to kids, but Beautiful Lengths has already done that many in 5 years (LoL is not the best managed charity IMO). I would read their wiki page. The majority of the hair donated is SOLD not made into wigs.

4. This student is not in a public school but rather a school of choice. He CHOSE to go to that school knowing full well the expectations for their dress code. He has every right to grow his hair out at his public school but a school of CHOICE gets to determine their rules. If he was at USNA, would people be demanding he get to grow his hair out? I doubt it.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

3. Locks of Love is FOR ALOPECIA NOT cancer. .
Not quite right.

From the Locks of Love website:
"WHAT IS LOCKS OF LOVE?

Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis."

emphasis mine

Locks of Love helps disadvantaged children suffering from medical hair loss

Old 01-30-2012, 04:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not quite right.

From the Locks of Love website:
"WHAT IS LOCKS OF LOVE?

Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis."

emphasis mine

Locks of Love helps disadvantaged children suffering from medical hair loss
Cherry picking is a no-no.

End of the paragraph.

Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure.

Their primary emphasis is NOT CANCER, while Beautiful Lengths is specifically for cancer.

Additionally, I would again point to the FACT that LoL sells the majority of hair they receive, their less than stellar record of number of wigs given, and the fact that this boy (a senior with only a few months left)has to grow his hair out to 10 inches before he can donate at which point it will likely be sold instead of made into a wig for a cancer patient.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
1. He is a senior who plans to grow his hair another 10 inches. He can cut it now, and begin growing it out. It will add exactly 3 months to the years it will take him to grow his hair that long.

2. Even locks for love has suggested that there are many other ways for this boy to help the cause besides growing out his hair.

3. Locks of Love is FOR ALOPECIA NOT cancer. Additionally, in 15 years they have done 2k wigs to kids, but Beautiful Lengths has already done that many in 5 years (LoL is not the best managed charity IMO). I would read their wiki page. The majority of the hair donated is SOLD not made into wigs.

4. This student is not in a public school but rather a school of choice. He CHOSE to go to that school knowing full well the expectations for their dress code. He has every right to grow his hair out at his public school but a school of CHOICE gets to determine their rules. If he was at USNA, would people be demanding he get to grow his hair out? I doubt it.
The kid had to learn the hard way & now that suspension will be permanent. Hes not too bright.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:

Since his parents had to put him in this school you don't really know HOW much say he had in the process. So maybe he didn't CHOOSE to go to this school at all.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The kid had to learn the hard way & now that suspension will be permanent. Hes not too bright.
Standing up for what you believe in and not backing down makes him smarter than the average person if you ask me.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Quote:

I think the main point is that sometimes rules need to have an exception. Would your response be different if he was going to a public school, was a freshman and was giving to Beautiful Lengths instead of LoL?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:43 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Cherry picking is a no-no.

End of the paragraph.

Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure.

Their primary emphasis is NOT CANCER, while Beautiful Lengths is specifically for cancer.
Whatever....

THIS cancer survivor chose to donate to Locks of Love.
Alopecia has nothing to do with HIS decision....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting