Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times

Advertisements

This is a very old thread now, from 2012. But I Googled the subject of family pics in the living room, and this thread appeared in the results.

I am starting to wonder if it is a tradition that is fading with digital pictures. With being able to snap a picture any second, anywhere, and post it to places like Instagram and Facebook...maybe people are valuing physical pictures less. A couple of my immediate relatives don't keep family pics in the living room ...even strangers I subscribe to on social media. When they film their living rooms, there's no family pics to be found in some homes. Some of them look like show homes. I am wondering if it's a privacy issue because they are on social media, but then....why would they be a social media family then? I'm thinking people can't be bothered going and printing off digital pics. Not sure.

Anyone have an opinion on this or notice a difference from years ago? I definitely have family pics, old and new, with artwork, posters, various decor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 12:11 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,576 times
In the hallway we have two medium size frames with different pictures in them. On fireplace mantle we have our professional married pic.. we didn't have a real wedding but just a court marriage, so we took the picture at Sears... And that's it.
My father in law on the other hand, his house, he has TONS of pictures. His entire living room wall has pictures of different family members. Totally cluttered in my opinion. Talk about dust!

Old 11-09-2019, 12:15 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
This is a very old thread now, from 2012. But I Googled the subject of family pics in the living room, and this thread appeared in the results.

I am starting to wonder if it is a tradition that is fading with digital pictures. With being able to snap a picture any second, anywhere, and post it to places like Instagram and Facebook...maybe people are valuing physical pictures less. A couple of my immediate relatives don't keep family pics in the living room ...even strangers I subscribe to on social media. When they film their living rooms, there's no family pics to be found in some homes. Some of them look like show homes. I am wondering if it's a privacy issue because they are on social media, but then....why would they be a social media family then? I'm thinking people can't be bothered going and printing off digital pics. Not sure.

Anyone have an opinion on this or notice a difference from years ago? I definitely have family pics, old and new, with artwork, posters, various decor.
I will never get tired of real physical photos. I make my husband print out whatever pictures I like the most.
My parents have several photo books with pictures of them when they were dating, me as a baby and growing up, all the way up to around mid 2000. Love it.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:00 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is not a decorating question.

I have been in many homes where the walls are full of framed photos, photos all around the house etc.

We have none. Well actually I have a few baby pictures in a display cabinet in my bedroom and at Christmas time I set out a few old photos of the kids with Santa and we have a few school pictures made into ornaments for the tree. but other than that we have no fancy watercolors, huge family portraits, graduation pictures, etc.

I'm not sure why except that is just how I grew up. My mother thought it was tacky to have as bunch of photos around. When she was in her later years I arranged for all our living relatives to be at the house for a very rare family meal. When I asked her if she would like me to hire a professional photographer come to take a great photo, her response was "Why--it's just something else to put in the drawer." I did it anyway and sure enough she put it in the drawer.

So I was wondering how many photos do you display in your home? And why or why not.
yes we do display family pics in my house.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:22 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times

Old 11-12-2019, 04:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
We just moved.

We don't have any family photos in the main living areas. We do have a screen on our fridge that rotates out photos and I like that.

In the bedrooms we have a few photos displayed. We have a large master and so a small photo of each of us on each other's night stand (from when we first got married) doesn't look cluttered. We also have one of the two of us on vacation, framed and on the dresser. It's small too.

In the guest rooms, we have a "boy" room and a "girl" room (we have 3 adult sons and 2 adult daughters and various grandkids - LOL). In the "boy" room we have some framed photos of male ancestors. In the "girl" room we have some framed photos of female ancestors. I like those.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is not a decorating question.

I have been in many homes where the walls are full of framed photos, photos all around the house etc.

We have none. Well actually I have a few baby pictures in a display cabinet in my bedroom and at Christmas time I set out a few old photos of the kids with Santa and we have a few school pictures made into ornaments for the tree. but other than that we have no fancy watercolors, huge family portraits, graduation pictures, etc.

I'm not sure why except that is just how I grew up. My mother thought it was tacky to have as bunch of photos around. When she was in her later years I arranged for all our living relatives to be at the house for a very rare family meal. When I asked her if she would like me to hire a professional photographer come to take a great photo, her response was "Why--it's just something else to put in the drawer." I did it anyway and sure enough she put it in the drawer.

So I was wondering how many photos do you display in your home? And why or why not.
my mom is like yours. THere are some in the family who are hurt by it...as if she isn't proud of us. (we know she is). She herself is phobic about having her picture taken, makes a big stink so that everyone around is uncomfortable. Whatever.

I don't have portraits around, I prefer candids. Since the advent of digital photography, we rarely get anything printed anymore.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
We don't have any family photos up. The kids school and sports photos are all in their original packaging in the drawer. I'm not sure why I keep buying them. Hockey photos are coming up on Saturday...

Old 11-14-2019, 09:07 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I have a few candids of the kids when they were small on surfaces in stand-up frames. I think putting them on the wall is... I don't know if tacky is the right word for it. But it's not something that I particularly enjoy, so I don't do it.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:12 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Yes.

We have a couple of digital picture frames that we load up with pictures. Great way to cycle through past pictures and current ones of the various family vacations or events we've been to.

Sometimes I'll look up from working on the laptop and just look at the memories that pop up and change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting