Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I read through the posts you quoted and pretty sure I didnt see anywhere it says that. Im only saying that I dont agree with all the hubbub about him taking his baby for a walk. He should be able to take HIS baby to a walk. You can justify all you want but the problem is with the parents having no control over what they can and cant do with their child at the hospital.
So you are saying you want the safety measures in place to protect newborns from being kidnapped, you just don't want those rules applied to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What does the government have to do with this case?

The government does not tell you where you have to give birth.

And, as far as I can determine, these were hospital, not government, regulations he broke.
The gov't does tell me where I have to give birth. In 11 states it is illegal to hire a Certified Professional Midwife to assist in your home birth. So your options are to have someone underprepared, commit a crime, or go to the hospital.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
The gov't does tell me where I have to give birth. In 11 states it is illegal to hire a Certified Professional Midwife to assist in your home birth. So your options are to have someone underprepared, commit a crime, or go to the hospital.
And you'd really choose not to go to a hospital because they wouldn't allow your husband to take the baby out for a walk???

Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Key word: ALLEGEDLY
Absolutely.

He gets his day in court just like the rest of us.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So you are saying you want the safety measures in place to protect newborns from being kidnapped, you just don't want those rules applied to you?
I want them in place to protect children from being kidnapped. I dont want those rules to apply to parents. The hospital in our area requires all parents and authorized persons to wear these super bright bracelets saying they have permission to come in contact with the baby. Why arent the same precautions taken to delineate the PARENTS only. That way the hospital can see from afar that the person is an approved parent and then check the childs id with the parents id and go from there. Attacking a parent is bad just like attacking a nurse.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I read through the posts you quoted and pretty sure I didnt see anywhere it says that. Im only saying that I dont agree with all the hubbub about him taking his baby for a walk. He should be able to take HIS baby to a walk. You can justify all you want but the problem is with the parents having no control over what they can and cant do with their child at the hospital.
Do you not understand all of the individual issues that each family on the unit can potentially have, and why it is not feasible for the nurses to recognize and know the situation of every single mother and father there? As Zim pointed out, the nurses change shifts. They haven't been there for 2 full days getting to know each dad and each baby. Sometimes the "dad" isn't the dad. Sometimes the "dad" is a drug addict, or has some other issue. the nurses can't be expected to know these things on an individual basis, thus the policy that applies to everyone.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 AM

See my above post ^^^

Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If newborns are required to stay in the hospital til discharged, then the hospital should be eating the cost of keeping the kid there. You want responsibility for my kid? Take it then. And take financial responsibility too. When you tell me I'm allowed to remove my own child from your property, I will take any subsequent responsibility, financial and otherwise. And if my child is breastfeeding on demand and requires me to stay in the hospital with her, you can pay MY hospital bills while I'm there too. Me + Kid = One Unit. You kidnap my kid, then you kidnap me too. And cover the costs of both.

I would be ALL over that if someone tried to tell me I wasn't -allowed- to bring my own healthy newborn child out of a building to get some fresh air. I'd demand that they set us both up in a suite with room service and a mani-pedi and daily massages for mommy and child. And that food better be edible or I'll bring in my own personal chef and they can foot the bill for that too.

Or - they can step aside and allow me to bring -my- child out of their building for some fresh air.

It used to be, hospitals had yards and screened solariums where patients could enjoy fresh air. Hell, they used to be able to smoke in the yards and solariums too. Yes, the hospital needs to keep track of who's there and who isn't and the whereabouts of each patient at all times. I get that. And Kennedy should've signed the baby out for 20 minutes, if that's all he wanted to do. But it sounds like the hospital had a policy forbidding even that.

Ridiculous policy. Kennedy should definitely fight it, but he seems to have gone about it in the wrong way.
Seems like the majority of posters here just don't get it.
It is an absolutely ridiculous policy, and he should fight this.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
How would you suggest the safety of newborns is ensured?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You few are the ones who don't get it. I'm not really sure why. It isn't that hard to understand that it is done to keep the babies safe. As has been pointed out several times, there are some crazy family situations out there, so the nurses can't be sure at the drop of a hat, who is and isn't allowed to have contact with a baby. I don't understand how some of you keep saying having policies to keep the babies safe are a good idea, yet don't seem to understand what this guy did wrong. It doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting