Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times

Advertisements

1. Stick out your lower lip as far as it can go.
2. Grasp it with your fingers.
3. Pull it over your face and up over your head.
4. Listen to the doctor saying, "It can't hurt THAT much" and muttering to the nurses, "This one's a screamer."
5. Find yourself physically unable to get up off the bed and cram something into the doctor so that he can relate to your experience. (Well, backward.)

It's rewarding, though. And not all labors are alike. My first was a very painful labor but virtually painless delivery. Isn't that bizarre? It was a relief to push! My second labor was so mild that I didn't go to the hospital until 20 minutes before my son was delivered...but the birth (delivery) was so harsh I actually broke my pelvis. The third was a planned C-section due to the injury I sustained during the second birth.

But THAT one was unmedicated, so...rah for me! ETA: I mean the second one...not the C-section!

It honestly is rewarding in the end (yar har!--sorry) and many of us go back and do it again...so obviously it's worth it to us.

But when all is said and done...be glad you're a guy. Those were the first words out of my husband's mouth after admiring his new son. "I am so glad I'm a guy."

Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,543,537 times
I like to describe it as, "I can't believe you can be in that much pain and not die from it." Mine was totally drug free, not because I'm a hero, but because he came too fast and they told me it was too late for drugs. Personally, I thought the delivery was worse than the labor. And the labor was pretty horrible. You have this uncontrolable urge to push out what feels like a watermelon. And as the watermelon is making its way out, it feels like everything is ripping in half (which it basically is). My husband said I kept screaming, "It burns, it burns!!!!" And then once, thank God, the watermelon is out, the last thing you want is anyone touching you but you have to lay there while they stich you back together. It's almost like your body goes into shock it's so painful.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 PM

630 posts, read 2,227,361 times
LOL... I can agree with eveything that has been posted here. I gave birth to 3 sons ... au natural .... I think the first was the worst ... 26 hours of torture labor, in a lousy hospital, baby born blue and then I was rushed to surgery and no one tells you how the baby is. After all of that I went and had two more. Gee the second was only 18 hours of labor. Gotta say the last one, only 10 hours of labor, but he was 9lbs. 14oz and 24 inches long .... oh he just happens to be 6'4" today.

We get to watch our bellies stretch for 9 months .... strap a bowling ball to your belly for 9 months (at least 8 lbs) ... now push it out through through your arzzzz. Doesn't that sound like soooo much fun.

They are cute addorable, fun to hold and snuggle. Then you have to raise them and that is a whole other story. You go through that and then at some point when they don't get their way they say they don't like you or they hate you. LOL...

Gotta say after everything, I love my sons and I would do anything for them and will always be here for them no matter what. (Ages 20, 25 and 26 all in different branches of the Military). Yeah you could say I'm a proud MOM...

Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Forgive me, but I'm just a mere mortal male who has no idea. But I've always wanted to-- well Ill let my future wife do it. But I must know- does it hurt??
It doesn't hurt at all... if you have an epidural (done correctly). If you go "natural" be prepared to scream. You feel like you are going to die. Burning pain, nasty, NASTY cramps... nothing like it... Shove shards of glass in a body opening... then put tabasco sauce on it... that might be close...

Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times
Well, I had an epidural and had not felt so relaxed since my labor.

Part of me though, regrets not having a natural birth, I feel a little cheated.

My girlfriend had all 3 of her girls in the water birth and she said that she loved giving birth every time. She said that being in the water really eased her pain. I personally have no idea so I cannot say, but I think there is something so special about giving birth without being "hooked-up" to million of wires.
If a woman gets an epidural, and also have a monitor hooked and also have an IV hooked (if get epidural), she lays there on your back as excuse me "a piece of meat".

Can I be completely honest? The labor is terrifying thing, but for me reoccuperating was much much harder. I ripped and was swollen and couldn't sit for days. My feet were swollen from IV, and my arms and legs muscles were in such pain from pushing. I'm a tiny girl though. I'm only 5'1. So I think maybe for me it was harder because of that.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,799,875 times
And this is giving birth in the 21st Century???

I can't imagine what the ladies in centuries past had to endure....

Old 09-10-2007, 08:48 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
It hurts like he**. The only thing good about it is you come home with a prize for your efforts! Unlike my gallbladder surgery, with delivery you come home with a tiny sweet bundle of joy. It helps to make what you endured worth it all.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
And this is giving birth in the 21st Century???

I can't imagine what the ladies in centuries past had to endure....
Yep. Very painful. But keep in mind that in the past centuries women did not give birth on their backs. The funny thing is that right now it is the usual to give birth on the back. Hell, I did it and there is no way I can tell to anyone not to do it. Giving birth on your back creates an unnatural arch that makes it more painful and harder for a baby to come out.
But women in the past used to give birth squating and although I can't claim it was less painful, I know for sure in most cases it's easier to pop the baby out that way.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:06 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,543,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
It hurts like he**. The only thing good about it is you come home with a prize for your efforts! Unlike my gallbladder surgery, with delivery you come home with a tiny sweet bundle of joy. It helps to make what you endured worth it all.
Brokencrayola, I noticed you mention having gall bladder surgery? Was this due to pregnancy? Because this is another ailment I had from pregnancy. Towards the second half of my pregnancy I kept having these strange attacks, which I thought were pregnancy related. Only, they kept happening after my son was born. Finally, 2 months after my son was born it got so bad I went to the emergency room and found out I needed my gall bladder out a.s.a.p. and I had pancreatitis (sp?) from gall stones going into my pancreas. They told me they see this often in women who have recently given birth because pregnancy slows down the bodies systems and causes it to create gall stones. So as if childbirth wasn't bad enough, I had this from the pregnancy as well! But my son is worth it!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Yes, "at the time" the pain was intense---but I couldn't tell you today how badly it hurt. Once I saw my babies the pain was all but gone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting