Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM

458 posts, read 612,046 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'm not half as annoyed by children's behavior, it's the lack of correction and inconsideration on the part of the parents.

As a parent, I understand that children have their moments. If I'm in public and notice an overwhelmed parent I'm more likely to offer assistance if I can but these are not the situations being referred to in the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,431,021 times
Because free range children taste better

Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,212,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
As for "free range parenting" which is not what was described in the OP

So, only certain posts are read in a short thread and the others are ignored?

Have I not explained the "free range" title?
Even having read all of the responses, I'm allowed to respond directly to the OP. Not my fault you picked a bad title.

There are 2 buttons in the lower right that allow you to quote a post so it is obvious who you are talking to.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM

FreeRangeKids

Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
because free range children taste better
ha ha

Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Quote:
Ok, the title just jumped at me, anywhoo....

Nothing sparks a debate like children/parental responsibilty. Having read several strong opinions(different forum) on the parents who were kicked off the Jetblue flight due to the tantrums of a 2-year old and several stories similar, I'm curious to know.....

Are you a parent or do you know a parent who allow their children to have "free range" in public? More and more we read about public places wanting to have a seperate area for children because parents allow children to 'behave' with little or no correction! There is nothing new about this topic but I am personally trying to understand.....Why?

Why allow a child to continually kick the occupied seat in front of them? why allow them to lean over the booth disturbing the patrons at a restaurant? why allow them to run up and down the aisles of a store, climb inside of carts, play with those heavy metal doors at the laundromat?

Certainly this does not apply to all. But for those who may be able to offer a different perspective(from my own) and some insight...please explain.......
I thought "Free Range" only worked for Chickens.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:13 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,364,276 times
Does "free range" mean the same thing as when we were kids? Back in the 60's, we sure had "free range" - from the age of 5, we were outside all day in the warm months, in the woods, at the playground, playing kickball in some vacant lot. As long as my mother had a generalized idea of where we were, she didn't care, as long as we weren't getting hurt or in trouble. We'd play outside in the dark until the porch lights came on, the signal that it was time to come inside. We were too tired to tantrum or wreak havoc...

Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Quote:
Ok, the title just jumped at me, anywhoo....

Nothing sparks a debate like children/parental responsibilty. Having read several strong opinions(different forum) on the parents who were kicked off the Jetblue flight due to the tantrums of a 2-year old and several stories similar, I'm curious to know.....

Certainly this does not apply to all. But for those who may be able to offer a different perspective(from my own) and some insight...please explain.......
Yes, allowing kids to behave inappropriately in public should be the parents responsibility to either stop the kid from annoying others or get the kid out of the situation.
A kid crying on a plane is something else entirely as there is no place to take the kid and the possibility that the toddler is crying due to pain in the ear due to altitude and pressures within the ear should be given the benefit of the doubt by the passengers, How about a little compassion and patience directed to the kid and parents. landing the plane and throwing the kid off the plane seems a bit draconian in my view.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 AM

17,430 posts, read 16,602,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Does "free range" mean the same thing as when we were kids? Back in the 60's, we sure had "free range" - from the age of 5, we were outside all day in the warm months, in the woods, at the playground, playing kickball in some vacant lot. As long as my mother had a generalized idea of where we were, she didn't care, as long as we weren't getting hurt or in trouble. We'd play outside in the dark until the porch lights came on, the signal that it was time to come inside. We were too tired to tantrum or wreak havoc...
That's what "free range" means to me. It is not the same thing as having "no limits".

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,375,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
In this case I would have **tried** to plan this during sleeping time or right after a nap so he would either be asleep or have just woken up. And made sure he was well fed. But other than that, I would have just tried to give him a toy or food that he really wants. If he didnt settle down, i would apologize to the people around me and wait it out. There really isnt anything you can do if there is no way to remove the child from the situation.
We plan, God laughs.

They could certainly have planned it for naptime, but then with all the comotion, the child might have had difficulties falling asleep, now you have a stressful situation, and an overtired child. fun. I'm sure the parents were trying their best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting