Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yes, allowing kids to behave inappropriately in public should be the parents responsibility to either stop the kid from annoying others or get the kid out of the situation.
A kid crying on a plane is something else entirely as there is no place to take the kid and the possibility that the toddler is crying due to pain in the ear due to altitude and pressures within the ear should be given the benefit of the doubt by the passengers, How about a little compassion and patience directed to the kid and parents. landing the plane and throwing the kid off the plane seems a bit draconian in my view.
I agree with you. Some parents are strict, but that won't prevent a child from having an issue, whatever it is.
At home, you can put your child on time out, send him to his room etc... If you're in a store, you can leave if the situation gets bad. But you can't do that on a plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 01:34 PM

458 posts, read 611,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Even having read all of the responses, I'm allowed to respond directly to the OP. Not my fault you picked a bad title.

There are 2 buttons in the lower right that allow you to quote a post so it is obvious who you are talking to.

Make no mistake, I was absolutely referring to your post. Somehow in deleting the part of your post that I chose to exclude I obviously did something that also deleted the poster's "handle." Must be rookie mistake. You are not at "fault" for anything as far as I am concerned and are completely entitled to comment in whatever way that, I assume, does not violate TOS........as am I

Back to topic

Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
it is most strange. here we send our dogs to obedience school and let our kids run wild.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:41 PM

458 posts, read 611,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I thought "Free Range" only worked for Chickens.

LOL! That is the exact image I had in mind when starting this thread, chickens running wild, like some children I've seen while parents choose to ignore the behavior.

And it's also the reason why the title is appropriate and the explaination behind it is sufficient!

Last edited by Tell-the-Truth; 03-14-2012 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I agree with you. Some parents are strict, but that won't prevent a child from having an issue, whatever it is.
At home, you can put your child on time out, send him to his room etc... If you're in a store, you can leave if the situation gets bad. But you can't do that on a plane.
Then the parents should not allow the child on the plane in the first place. They may be accustomed to the little tyke acting out but the rest of the world should not have to put up with it.

Shame that they can't be crated and placed in the compartment where they transport animals. Many dogs are better behaved than some kids.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Then the parents should not allow the child on the plane in the first place. They may be accustomed to the little tyke acting out but the rest of the world should not have to put up with it.

Shame that they can't be crated and placed in the compartment where they transport animals. Many dogs are better behaved than some kids.
How rude!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,789 times
Yeah I agree witht he you dont know if its just a bad day.

Recently at work we had to go through this whole "treat the customer how you want to be treated" workshop (2 days of bs in my opinion but I got paid for it so oh well)

but I was told this story that kind of brought tears to my eyes

(told from someone elses point of view)

A gentleman and his 4 kids got on board a subway in New York. The man just sat down and stared out into space blankly, while his children were running up and down the aisle way and hanging on bars and screaming at the top of his lungs. Everyone was getting annoyed so I decided to speak up and say something.

stranger: Hey you know there are other people on this train and your kids are being quite annoying, you should maybe try controlling them if not for our sanity but for their own safety.

Dad: yeah I think thats a good idea, sorry about that its just we just left the hospital and My wife, their mother was taken off life support, I dont know how to act and I dont think they do either. (said with tears streaming)

stranger: How can I help?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Although I don't trend parent I do think that a lot of people associated "free range" with "unschooled." I realize now that these aren't the same things but I use to think they were similar with no rules, kids did what they wanted all the time. It's hard to keep all the trends straight right now, they're a lot of them going on. New books out all the time with new parenting ideals.

To the op, I think the kid was tired, and people can be grumpy and tired as well. The mix is usually unfavorable.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:44 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Although I don't trend parent I do think that a lot of people associated "free range" with "unschooled." I realize now that these aren't the same things but I use to think they were similar with no rules, kids did what they wanted all the time. It's hard to keep all the trends straight right now, they're a lot of them going on. New books out all the time with new parenting ideals.

To the op, I think the kid was tired, and people can be grumpy and tired as well. The mix is usually unfavorable.
I'm a little "iffy" on what the different terms mean now, too.

In my mind, "free range" is allowing your child to have a lot of freedom to explore their environment/neighborhood/world with as little adult supervision as possible. Children are expected to watch themselves and behave in a responsible manner.

This is not the same as: let kids run wild and decide which rules they feel like obeying.

Nor is it the same as: grumpy child having a bad day.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:05 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Does "free range" mean the same thing as when we were kids? Back in the 60's, we sure had "free range" - from the age of 5, we were outside all day in the warm months, in the woods, at the playground, playing kickball in some vacant lot. As long as my mother had a generalized idea of where we were, she didn't care, as long as we weren't getting hurt or in trouble. We'd play outside in the dark until the porch lights came on, the signal that it was time to come inside. We were too tired to tantrum or wreak havoc...
That's how I grew up and that's the latitude we give our children. That didn't mean we didn't suffer consequences if we misbehaved!

I don't ever recall kids being screaming hoards when I was young. I never recall it in public. Now? God yes- too many times. There was a band concert yesterday and my son plays sax- behind us? A pair of uncontrolled and wild 2 year olds kicking our chairs, screaming, running back and forth.

You better believe the folks around them turned and said with their eyes "ENOUGH". They finally packed up the infant wildebeests and left. There is NO EXCUSE for your children to ruin everyone else's experience. Either control the situation or remove them and yourselves. On the airplane? Our kids have flown plenty on a plane when they were in their terrible two's, and of course they started crying and carrying on a time or two. We figured out a way to control them and most importantly- we apologized to those around us and asked for their understanding while we figure it out. IMHO that's the decent way to handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting