Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of entitlement from youth.

The parents of these children were more interested in 'being their childs best friend' than in parenting.

As such, the children had everything they could ever want, with NO responsibility, and NO stake in the purchase. "Disney today was great, I'm bored, what are we going to do tonight?"

Cars, college, clothing, electronic gadgets, spending money...you name it; the kids attitude was 'you owe me this'. And mom and dad complied.

It didn't help that we had years and years of free money, credit encouragement from every imaginable source, and a 'shop till you drop' mentality.

Now we have a generation of kids that are virtually unemployable because they have never been expected to accept responsibility. We have parents that have mortgaged their lives to the max, and who will never get out from uinderneath, nor do they have any retirement savings remaining. And the spoiled brat lives in their childhood bedroom at 30 because "they aren't going to live in a rented apartment with only two bedrooms and no pool."

It remains to be seen what anyone learned from this experience. So far, at the national level, we learned to borrow more money to fund the overspending from the past.

When the printing press runs out of ink, ALL generations might have a serious spending problem.
BINGO!! What I really love to hear **insert sarcasm here** is how parents don't want their children to have to start out in debt....SO, they take out yet another mortgage on their home, in order to borrow money, to finance thier children. How many of these parents will NEVER see their homes paid off? .....a great many of them!! What kind of example/lesson is that setting for our children? You want/It costs....it's that simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
KIDZ TODAY OHNOESZ!

Dramatic Chipmunk - YouTube

OP, your stepsister is greedy. Your mom and her husband allow it. Not much you can do except to be glad that's not you. What a life of unhappiness and disappointment she is set up to have.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I take it quite personal as well.
You have no control over ANYTHING in this situation except this. Your own feelings and reactions.

I hope you will start working on NOT taking it personally. Because if you do you are going to make yourself sick. And it sounds like step-sister isn't worth it.

Sorry this is happening in your family. You seem to be the good guy who works hard to do things right.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:11 PM

460 posts, read 671,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
BINGO!! What I really love to hear **insert sarcasm here** is how parents don't want their children to have to start out in debt....SO, they take out yet another mortgage on their home, in order to borrow money, to finance thier children. How many of these parents will NEVER see their homes paid off? .....a great many of them!! What kind of example/lesson is that setting for our children? You want/It costs....it's that simple!
In-laws to a T. They remortgaged their house to pay for her wedding.

Meanwhile, I worked 3 jobs to pay for mine and they contributed a small amount. I'm not bitter, because we are both proud of our accomplishment. However, I feel it's silly for my in-laws to risk their financial security 10 years before retirement to finance a party for an ungrateful daughter. Ugh. I feel your pain OP. It can make you crazy.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
In-laws to a T. They remortgaged their house to pay for her wedding.

Meanwhile, I worked 3 jobs to pay for mine and they contributed a small amount. I'm not bitter, because we are both proud of our accomplishment. However, I feel it's silly for my in-laws to risk their financial security 10 years before retirement to finance a party for an ungrateful daughter. Ugh. I feel your pain OP. It can make you crazy.
I would NEVER borrow money for a wedding. LOL Given how long most marriages last these days, it's a pretty foolish investment, if you ask me. Honestly, unless it was for some catastrophic dilemna, I would never borrow against my home, anyway! It's paid off and it's staying paid off!

If one of my kids wants an expensive wedding, they're going to have to come up with the money on their own. No one paid for MY wedding and I'm not paying for someone else's. If I have money on hand, and can help with it that way....and count me in on making everything possible, I'm all in for helping, but borrowing money!!?? Never! They wouldn't ask, because they KNOW what that answer would be.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
I think the most entitled kids actually feel the most unloved and deprived. They equate getting stuff with love.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I think the most entitled kids actually feel the most unloved and deprived. They equate getting stuff with love.
That could be true gimme it......I think that the more you give your children....the more they expect and want....big mistake giving this ungrateful girl the car...let alone paying for insurance...her sense of entitlement comes from these very acts...and until she pays her own way in life...she will always feel that way.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It has nothing to do with you. MYOB.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:14 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times
This is the girl's father's responsibility. She must be a huge brat if she expects a car even when her dad had been unemployed. If she doesn't realize money is tight, it is her dad's job to tell her that. If she's til a jerk about it, he can take the car away (hard to not have a cell phone as a teen these days). Ride the dang bus to school like the rest of us! Have her get a job to pay for the phone service.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:05 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Very good rant. I have a few friends like this (im 23). I see it a lot. I have one friend who makes his sister make him breakfast, coffee, and dinner when his mom isn't home. They all live at home. I would be embarrassed if my sister had to do chores for me. I would also be embarrassed to live at home at 23-24.
This wonderful friend can't "make" his sister be his slave, she must be agreeable to it. He sounds like a loser.

I would just keep a distance from all of that family stuff, your mother and stepfather are responsible for their own financial decisions. The teen daughter is just going with it because she can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting