Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times

Advertisements

Thought we could do with a light-hearted thread. My mom sent the following video to me after my 3.5 year old son started asking me some questions about the differences between boys and girls a few months ago.

Disclaimer: This is intended to be funny, but may require a slightly twisted sense of humor. NSFW or for watching around young children (unless you are looking to have a detailed conversation with them about sex and weren't sure how to broach the topic. ) Sweeney actually had me crying laughing the first time I watched this, at the way an innocent conversation about frogs could spark a detailed discussion about human sexuality and how even when we are prepared to have these talks with our kids, they may still take us slightly by surprise.

Wits - Julia Sweeney "Sex Ed." Monologue | Minnesota Public Radio News

Anyone have any funny impromptu sex ed stories?

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 04-25-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post

Anyone have any funny impromptu sex ed stories?
After a bunch of little kids see two dogs "doing it" on the street.

"The dog is tired so the other dog is helping by pushing her home."

Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
After a bunch of little kids see two dogs "doing it" on the street.

"The dog is tired so the other dog is helping by pushing her home."

While we were potty training, DS became quite adamant that I should stand up to potty, just like he and daddy do. It took a few repetitions of explaining I don't have the required anatomy for that before he was ok with pottying being different for boys and girls. I hadn't counted on his being so insistent and having a "why" for every answer!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I confess I had seen this already, but the line where she describes the amusement park next to waste management made me laugh out loud all over again.

I am very happy to say that aspect of education is completely behind us now.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
That's great, full of real gems. My fave:

"It's like having a waste treatment plant right next to an amusement park, terrible zoning.."

I think every parents dreads the "Do you do that too?" question.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I confess I had seen this already, but the line where she describes the amusement park next to waste management made me laugh out loud all over again.
Ooh, snap!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's great, full of real gems. My fave:

"It's like having a waste treatment plant right next to an amusement park, terrible zoning.."

I think every parents dreads the "Do you do that too?" question.
Haha, great minds! I think I may have posted it on one of the defunct chat threads once upon a time, but thought it could stand to be revived.

The thing that resonated so much for me was her description of considering herself to be an enlightened, matter-of-fact kind of parent, and yet she still found her brain scrambling all over the place in the moment trying to find "the right thing" to say. I loved the part where she found her gaze darting around and she focused on her daughter with an intensity that would have scared the devil.

When I was pregnant with my second, my 5 yo nephew was asking all kinds of questions about the baby, and I was feeling all proud of myself for answering in a truthful, age-appropriate way consistent with what his parents had taught him. So after we ran through questions like "What does the baby eat? How does she eat? Does she have toys to play with in there? Is THAT how I got a belly button?," he hits me with "How does the baby come out?," at which point I had a brief deer-in-headlights moment when I realized I had NO idea what his parents wanted him to know on this score.

Quickly regrouping, I suggested we ask his mom. The answer, it turns out, is that the doctor takes the baby out at the hospital. So he turns to me and very sincerely asks, "Aunt Ewag, after you go to the hospital and the doctor takes the baby out, can you remember to tell me how he did it?" Sure, buddy, you got it.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:34 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
When I was little, my dad's younger brother still lived at home with my grandparents. I'm told that we had the following conversation when I was three or so:

Julia: Uncle, do you take a shower?
Uncle: Yes.
Julia: Do you have a bottom?
Uncle: Uh, yes.
Julia: What else do you have?

I don't know how he answered because the story stops there. It amuses my grandfather to no end. I do remember being about five and asking him to marry me when I got older.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
When my son was very small he asked my mother how he got his belly-button. She poked him in the belly and said, "Before you are born, God checks all the babies and says "You're done!" (poke) "And you're done!" (poke) "And you're done!" (poke).

(We didn't come via the stork, BTW. We were found under a cabbage leaf.)

Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Haha, great minds! I think I may have posted it on one of the defunct chat threads once upon a time, but thought it could stand to be revived.

The thing that resonated so much for me was her description of considering herself to be an enlightened, matter-of-fact kind of parent, and yet she still found her brain scrambling all over the place in the moment trying to find "the right thing" to say. I loved the part where she found her gaze darting around and she focused on her daughter with an intensity that would have scared the devil.

When I was pregnant with my second, my 5 yo nephew was asking all kinds of questions about the baby, and I was feeling all proud of myself for answering in a truthful, age-appropriate way consistent with what his parents had taught him. So after we ran through questions like "What does the baby eat? How does she eat? Does she have toys to play with in there? Is THAT how I got a belly button?," he hits me with "How does the baby come out?," at which point I had a brief deer-in-headlights moment when I realized I had NO idea what his parents wanted him to know on this score.

Quickly regrouping, I suggested we ask his mom. The answer, it turns out, is that the doctor takes the baby out at the hospital. So he turns to me and very sincerely asks, "Aunt Ewag, after you go to the hospital and the doctor takes the baby out, can you remember to tell me how he did it?" Sure, buddy, you got it.
Having had 2 c-sections, I've always been able to truthfully say "the doctor cut a hole in my tummy."

A couple weeks ago, 8 started asking hubby questions, so I bought a book and hubby went over it with him at bed time. The next night it was my turn to read at bed time. He got the book out and flipped to the page with the cartoon drawing of the baby in the mommy's tummy and told me it takes a mommy and a daddy, and asked me if I knew how it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting