Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Thank you soooooooooooooooo much. I just printed out your prayer.
Blessings to you and thank you so much for praying for my son, someone whom you don't even know. He is an amazing person. And this all makes me so sad for him. I tried my best to get him into a counselor, but he wouldn't go more than a few times. NCRN he does not appear to want to stop this. He has been baker acted I think 3 times and was discharged, with no improvement in his abuse. He was inpt for 5 months, got out and started using again within weeks. You cannot force someone to want to stop, they have to want this for themselves.

Someone said that they stop maturing at the age of drug beginning. That is true. He acts like he's ~17 though he started at around 14 or 15.

I stopped typing and just now went and looked and his picture is on booking blotter. This is very hard for me to see. Especially since I have not seen him nor been able to hug him since early Feb when we moved.
I have to go because I am very upset, sad and crying for my son. I just want him to be happy and I don't know when that will ever happen....thank you all. I will come back on when I am a bit stronger.

As this is breaking my HEART. (for him)
The good thing about jail is that you know he's pretty safe, will have meals and a roof over his head. In a way you don't have to worry as much when he's in jail, he's not going anywhere.

It gives him time for his mind to clear up and possibly start thinking without the influence of the drugs.

You can't lose hope -- the road to recovery can be a long and bumpy one but it's not something you have any control over. Al-anon can help because you learn to "let go and let God" and you learn there are simply some things you cannot do anything about. So you stop trying to control and then you find some serenity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 PM

102 posts, read 312,606 times
Quote:
Thank you soooooooooooooooo much. I just printed out your prayer.
Blessings to you and thank you so much for praying for my son, someone whom you don't even know. He is an amazing person. And this all makes me so sad for him. I tried my best to get him into a counselor, but he wouldn't go more than a few times. NCRN he does not appear to want to stop this. He has been baker acted I think 3 times and was discharged, with no improvement in his abuse. He was inpt for 5 months, got out and started using again within weeks. You cannot force someone to want to stop, they have to want this for themselves.

Someone said that they stop maturing at the age of drug beginning. That is true. He acts like he's ~17 though he started at around 14 or 15.

I stopped typing and just now went and looked and his picture is on booking blotter. This is very hard for me to see. Especially since I have not seen him nor been able to hug him since early Feb when we moved.
I have to go because I am very upset, sad and crying for my son. I just want him to be happy and I don't know when that will ever happen....thank you all. I will come back on when I am a bit stronger.

As this is breaking my HEART. (for him)
It's so sad that he doesn't want to stop his addiction. I can't imagine how heartbreaking it is to see him continue on a path towards self-destruction. I've had numerous alcoholics in my family, so I know how irrational and resistant to help addicts can be.

If he has relapsed shortly after inpatient therapy, then there isn't much else that can be done. Short of putting him in a long-term psych unit and totally detoxing him over a period of months (along with CBT- cognitive behavioral therapy and psychotherapy), I can't think of anything that would be of great benefit to him.

All you can do is pray, try to reach out to him, and hope that he will make a positive change in his life.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,633,702 times
So he's in jail now in the main detention center whatever that means. Called his PO today to see if any updates. She didn't have any and said that he should've gone before the judge this morning to get a 'court date' with the judge that initially dealt with his case/sentence when probation assigned. Last time he was in (during Christmas) they gave him a court date 3wks later which meant that he had a nice taste of being incarcerated. But, alas, obviously that didn't phase him cuz here we are again. I know from what he said that he HATED being in there. I guess not bad enough.

Of course the Grammy is silent as usual as after she sent me the ridiculous text yesterday morning that he was taken in, NOTHING else from her. I texted her today to see if he had called her collect as they are given a few phone calls in the 1st 24hrs for free. I haven't gotten one. =( She didn't answer. Crickets chirping. Imo, her attitude is ridiculous. I mean I have been reduced to receiving texts that my son 1. crashed and totalled the car and 2. that he's in JAIL. I don't know....maybe I am the ridiculous one expecting a, well, maybe a PHONE CALL?

I have always been kind to that woman. And she USED to be kind as well. Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. Here I sit wondering how my DS is. But, it's kinda nice knowing that he IS SAFE. : /
Oh and I can't reach the Dad who is now in another state as the Grammy has his phone (well the only phone # that I have!) I just think that this is sort of an evil way to treat the mother of the grandson and son. But, that's just me.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 AM

13,504 posts, read 10,004,314 times
Quote:
So he's in jail now in the main detention center whatever that means. Called his PO today to see if any updates. She didn't have any and said that he should've gone before the judge this morning to get a 'court date' with the judge that initially dealt with his case/sentence when probation assigned. Last time he was in (during Christmas) they gave him a court date 3wks later which meant that he had a nice taste of being incarcerated. But, alas, obviously that didn't phase him cuz here we are again. I know from what he said that he HATED being in there. I guess not bad enough.

Of course the Grammy is silent as usual as after she sent me the ridiculous text yesterday morning that he was taken in, NOTHING else from her. I texted her today to see if he had called her collect as they are given a few phone calls in the 1st 24hrs for free. I haven't gotten one. =( She didn't answer. Crickets chirping. Imo, her attitude is ridiculous. I mean I have been reduced to receiving texts that my son 1. crashed and totalled the car and 2. that he's in JAIL. I don't know....maybe I am the ridiculous one expecting a, well, maybe a PHONE CALL?

I have always been kind to that woman. And she USED to be kind as well. Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. Here I sit wondering how my DS is. But, it's kinda nice knowing that he IS SAFE. : /
Oh and I can't reach the Dad who is now in another state as the Grammy has his phone (well the only phone # that I have!) I just think that this is sort of an evil way to treat the mother of the grandson and son. But, that's just me.
Well I think that's good, twowolves, he's at least off the street. Hopefully the judge will send him to a good rehab.

May I gently suggest that you don't get bogged down in a war with Grammy? Your son needs you clear and not all resentful over your family's drama. At some point, perhaps you could all attend some kind of family program. The amount of baggage that comes with having an addict in the family is huge. You will all need to be on the same page as far as how to handle it when he gets out.

Also, it's been suggested in this thread and you're alluding to it too - about how he doesn't want to get sober or how jail wasn't bad enough to jolt him into changing.

Here's my take on that - he's an ADDICT. Whether he wants to get better or not, at this stage, is not really relevant. You can want to get better like crazy, doesn't mean you can override the part of the brain that's addicted.

At this point, it's a medical issue, that needs to be treated as such. All the behavioral and environmental problems that surround his addiction will have to be dealt with too, but first he has to get off the roller coaster and be medically detoxed however humanly possible. The only way for him to stop is to be completely removed from the ability to get high, until his brain starts to heal itself.

"Wanting" to get clean is a losing battle against the biological need to get high. That needs to be addressed first. If I could explain how it feels to the addict - it feels like being in a desert dying of thirst. Your need for water overrides every single other function. Getting water into your body is all that matters. If you can imagine that, you would have clearer understanding of what your son is going through, and why expecting him to will himself out of it is a one in a million shot, that almost never works.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the judge puts him in a long residential treatment program, and that there is a solid plan in place for after he gets out. That includes everybody knowing how not to enable him any longer. That means Grammy needs to get her butt into a family counseling program with you. Maybe the rehab will facilitate that for everyone. Then I'd get his arse out of town and away from all the triggers.

Best of luck mom, hang in there. He needs you.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:12 PM

Thank you finster. Addiction seems to be a very confusing problem. I have no experience with it personally, so it's hard for me to grasp how it works on you. I am beginning to realize though that it's a pretty serious thing! And real! I probably sound so naive.

My son had access to a phone up until today so he called me one to 2 times a day Wed-Fri. Saying the stuff you'd expect one to say when they're in deep doo doo. 'Want to stop this....tired of it.....want to come up there and live with you guys....I need to get away from my friends here....that kind of stuff came out of his mouth.

I wanted to believe him but it's hard when this is the 3rd time going thru this with him. I just let him vent, I was very kind and didn't put any thing heavy on him. Afterall, he's in jail. I told him that it was so nice hearing him talk like his 'normal'. Ha.

His court date is next Wed. So he will learn what his future punishment is, then. He told me he wants to go to some type of rehab place. That was good to hear. And it was good to hear him say that he wanted to come here with us and leave his 'hometown'. Which he's been very reluctant to do. You know...can't EVER leave the friends!

As for Grammy going to counseling, that ain't gonna happen! I've done my share of it but her? NO. I believe she is going to show up at court next week as he asked me to relay the message to her of when his court would be...she is the only one local to even be able to go. We are 9+hrs away.

Thank you so much for your post. I will keep y'all updated.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Thank you finster. Addiction seems to be a very confusing problem. I have no experience with it personally, so it's hard for me to grasp how it works on you. I am beginning to realize though that it's a pretty serious thing! And real! I probably sound so naive.

My son had access to a phone up until today so he called me one to 2 times a day Wed-Fri. Saying the stuff you'd expect one to say when they're in deep doo doo. 'Want to stop this....tired of it.....want to come up there and live with you guys....I need to get away from my friends here....that kind of stuff came out of his mouth.

I wanted to believe him but it's hard when this is the 3rd time going thru this with him. I just let him vent, I was very kind and didn't put any thing heavy on him. Afterall, he's in jail. I told him that it was so nice hearing him talk like his 'normal'. Ha.

His court date is next Wed. So he will learn what his future punishment is, then. He told me he wants to go to some type of rehab place. That was good to hear. And it was good to hear him say that he wanted to come here with us and leave his 'hometown'. Which he's been very reluctant to do. You know...can't EVER leave the friends!

As for Grammy going to counseling, that ain't gonna happen! I've done my share of it but her? NO. I believe she is going to show up at court next week as he asked me to relay the message to her of when his court would be...she is the only one local to even be able to go. We are 9+hrs away.

Thank you so much for your post. I will keep y'all updated.
I think the problem with addicts is that when they say they want to quit, they really mean it. The problem though with addiction is that it's got a hold of them and it pulls them down. The harder the addct tries to escape, the harder the addiction works to defeat them.

Go to Al-anon and they can definitely help you understand some of the dynamics of addiction.

This is one reason I think jail can be so good -- it at least gives the addict some time to clear up his/her mind and find ways to stop the downward spiral. They can find help and sometimes they will relapse but at least have the tools to get back on the wagon. Sometimes the best they can do is just keep falling off but getting back on and that saves them. They realize they will never be cured but they can find that road to recovery. Sometimes over and over -- there's nothing you can do about that except be supportive in the right way.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the problem with addicts is that when they say they want to quit, they really mean it. The problem though with addiction is that it's got a hold of them and it pulls them down. The harder the addct tries to escape, the harder the addiction works to defeat them.

Go to Al-anon and they can definitely help you understand some of the dynamics of addiction.

This is one reason I think jail can be so good -- it at least gives the addict some time to clear up his/her mind and find ways to stop the downward spiral. They can find help and sometimes they will relapse but at least have the tools to get back on the wagon. Sometimes the best they can do is just keep falling off but getting back on and that saves them. They realize they will never be cured but they can find that road to recovery. Sometimes over and over -- there's nothing you can do about that except be supportive in the right way.
I realize that finally. Lecturing and that type reaction, just didn't do anything. HE will stop when HE'S ready to stop. And no sooner.

The thing that kills me is that by now, since the age of 16, he racked up a record. Nothing horrid but yes, a record. Well, most of them were before 18 but still I think, show up on a record search. And then he has the felony which I mentioned in earlier post, (which was w/held adjudication but still shows up?) and now the 2 new misdemeanors which I explained about on the current jail incident. Who knows what's gonna happen with those....it's just demolishing his record! And his future? For if/when he does clean up his act...those will haunt him. I saw this coming and tried to warn him after the first time or 2 in trouble....but alas here we are. That went in one ear and out the other.

Will know soon hopefully what happened/happens today when he goes in front of the judge! Will he be released? What will the judge punish him with?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM

Default update on son

So, he went in front of judge a few wks back and was sentenced to stay in jail until mid-August. At that time, when he is released, he is DONE with probation which was supposed to go until another year. He'll be free in every way. Kinda scary.

I put $ into the phone acct so he could call me as the grammy emailed me that he asked that I do this. I waited about a week as I was not ready to speak with him for fear of not knowing what to say to him, and not knowing what his demeanor would be.

We've been talking for about a week. He's called me like every other day and the calls last about 10+ minutes. At first, he was pleasant enough to me. And I kept it 'light'. He told me he's reading a lot. I asked about the Bible and he said he was reading that along with some 'book on philosophy', that he found....which he's big into.

In one of those calls, he mentioned coming 'here' with us when he gets out. We are 9hrs from where he is and has wanted to stay, up until this incarceration. Now, he seems willing to leave his old 'friends'. 'Here' is actually, would be the best place for someone in his shoes. There is no addiction or alcoholism here like there is at 'Grammys' and with the 'Father' who also lives in a completely different state now. So, it'd be get out in August and go back to Grammy who's an alcoholic pretty much (not a nasty or problematic one but she just drinks 'cocktails' every afternoon into the evening.). Go to the Dad's new place of residence (probably 15hrs away from the Grammy) where the Dad is an alcoholic (yes, sometimes a nasty one and he is single and likes to go to bars and pick up women my son's age! early 20's!). OR, here where it is fairly 'normal' and he'd have the best 'chance' of staying in recovery.

BUT, the problem is, I don't know how serious my son is to change. Even now, in jail. He is going to have make some SERIOUS changes in his behavior, he is going to have to do some serious soul-searching in jail to begin to change the areas of his life that are causing him unhappiness, and he is going to have to do some serious forgiving to those he harbors anger at. He is also going to have to begin to take on accountability for what horrible decisions he's been making for the past 5yrs. In other words, self-blame, instead of his usual 'blame everyone else, esp Mom, for anything and everything that's happened to him negatively.'

In our very discouraging phone conversation last night, I am now very sad and doubtful that he's come to this place yet. Or will in the next 8wks. The places above that I mentioned. If he does not come to this place, I told him that when he gets out, his life is going to continue the exact same way, in misery, unhappiness and problems with the law.

The reason I say that is because our conversation in the beginning was quite fine. He was talking on one of his philosophical messages and I just calmly listened to him. Then, as it often goes, eventually he got personal with me. A semi-attack on me. It was in a 'nicer' way, but still, same old same old criticism. He, for some reason, has really taken delight (since about 13? began to use drugs and listen to 'satanic' music) in verbally attacking me in a belittling way. His father has this same trait, very sarcastic towards women. Some days when he came home from middle school, he'd pick a fight with me and I'd be in tears. (I now realize that I shouldn't have let him see those tears.)

I tried to not react too strongly last night, to his hints at attacking me, but did say something like 'you need to be spending your time in there with self-reflection or you will be released the same person, an unhappy one...'

Then, he got more testy with me, his age-old anger came out. Attacked me as a mother, again bringing up one scenario when he was 9 and being very disrespectful to me and was holding up his dad saying how much better he was (NOT! he was a horrible dad) and I (in anger) said something like 'then if your dad is so much better, pack up your stuff and go live with him!' I IMMEDIATELY rescinded the comment and was VERY apologetic. HE STILL THROWS THAT IN MY FACE. Even though I have continued to apologize 10yrs later and even cried for his forgiveness. HE WON'T LET IT GO. People close to us say he's manipulating me with it. And tell me to STOP apologizing. Ok, so he brought this up AGAIN LAST NIGHT.

To backtrack for a second, one day last week, he called me venting about how the Grammy was laying guilt on him for not calling her for like 6 days...and said she didn't put $ in his canteen cuz he didn't call her. Said he had just got off the phone with her and asked her about the $ not being in there for his order and she said she DID put the $ in...and that something must have happened with the online $ submission. He accused her of LYING and said something like 'she's crazy like the rest of women.' Anyways, he was spewing agitation at her for the $ not being available...and he kept going on about it. Maybe I shouldn't have offered but I felt like he was indirectly hinting for me to put some $ in there for him. At this time, I was downtown, lost for an event I was trying to attend and listening to him vent. Sort of chaotic. I said 'do you want me to put $10 in there for you?' Right away, he got angry! He said 'where'd you get THAT amount? Is that all your son is worth?' This comment made me feel horrible because my son has no $ amount attached to him! I LOVE him! I didn't know what to say. For one thing, I am not the Grammy who enables his father, and is enabling HIM now. She puts in $50 a week for his canteen! I wouldn't even put in any bcuz I think/feel like he should not be babied while in jail! He needs to learn some life lessons while in there! Not be comfy cozy! $10 would probably be the MOST I would put in per week! Ever!

So, with that part of the story out there, he brought this up again last night! About how 'where did the $10 amount come from? Isn't your son worth more than that? That is hurtful to me.' (this admission shocked me cuz he's never admitted being hurt.) And the non-trusting, skeptical part of me silently thinks he's using that word (hurt) to manipulate me. I am sorry but I don't know who my son is since he's been on drugs. It is horrible. Anyways, in response to his questioning on where that (he thought small) amount came from, I said 'I am not totally sure, when we were talking, I was downtown lost and sort of flustered, and also I do not want to enable you, you are in there due to your own choices and I do not want to make it comfy cozy for you! You need to be learning to better yourself as a person...I know you are getting fed.' I pointed out to him about the car he totalled and how he never thanked ME for the $1000 my husband and I put into it to fix it up for him and how he trashed it within 3 months. He was rude at that comment and said 'That wasn't YOUR $, it was (your husbands) $, and I thanked HIM for it (he did NOT thank my husband).' But, see how he takes jabs at me? I put so much time into that car, my poor mother didn't keep it clean and it needed a TON of work. Both cosmetic AND safety-wise. I am the one who TOOK it everywhere to get the work done, yes it was my husbands $ but I did the hard part! I must have put 20 man-labor-hours into that car before we gave it to son! NO THANKS TO ME FOR THAT!

But, that's cool, I am very humble, I never threw THAT in his face like he throws thing after thing at me! Painful!

Ok, so the conversation now just got worse. He then brought up how 'his dad had to get him his first cell phone, I didn't...blah blah blah.' He's right! I didn't get him his first cell phone bcuz he was on drugs! And he was very disrespectful to me at that time, and he had iPod after iPod which I bought, that he would LOSE like $ grows on trees. Very irresponsible...with things. I could see him losing phone after phone. So, he's right, I DID let daddy get and pay for his cell phone. He never paid me child support, so yes, he can do this for son! So you see? He's apparently BITTER that I didn't get him his 1st cell phone! Let's not even rattle off what I DID pay/get for him! How about the $9k in his college fund which is still sitting there! It seems about $ with him, the more $ you spend, the more you love him? I don't get that, I did not 'spoil' him per se'. He never really asked for much, so I guess, when he did, I did get it for him. Well, that is kicking me in the booty now...?

I tried to redirect him on to the 'fun' times (non-$) I had with him, the good times we had, the special times I made sure we had together-which were very plenty! He sadly has NO memory of these. I guess due to the drug use. It's very sad. All he wants to do, is harp on me in a bad way. Sometimes, he likes to point out hurtful things (not true) like 'you have no life, all you do, is wake up every day and do the same thing over and over.' So mean!

The madder he got on the phone last night, the more his old self came out. His rude and belittling self. Mind you, he's only really treated me this way, I am starting to think he was doing it to the Grammy in a milder way....My husband is the best most calm and respectful man. He was a great role model for son, since son was 3. My son learned this rudeness to me, I guess by listening to his father berate women. And I have a feeling the father bad-talked me to son as well. Which is a HORRIBLE THING TO DO.

Ok. So now, I WAS contemplating letting son come here after jail, to get a fresh start. Now what? It does NOT look promising! I have little ones...I canNOT let him come here and treat me with disrespect in front of his siblings! And he loves to berate my mothering skills, says I am 'too protective' of them! Well, I tell him, I was protective of him too! In this world, you have to be! I can't let him come here and cause tension, fight with me, be rude to me, teach the little ones this behavior, break our rules, and cause me anxiety attacks! (I have an anxiety issue)

I am so aggravated that with all the counseling I exposed him to in the past 5yrs, and the one counselor I found several years back, who was local to him and encouraged him to call her for sessions, who was EXCELLENT, and knew exactly what his issues were, he refused to utilize her free services! Now he's in no situation where he can use her! Too late!

I am not pointing out these things about him in order to sour you guys on him, I just think you need to know the things he said, I know you will be objective!

Is it likely that at this point, with what I explained about our phone call last night, that he will change while in there in the next 8 short weeks? In order to come here with us? What if the Grammy won't let him back there? She's kind of hinted that she can't handle him!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Honey, give it all up to God.

At this point, there is not much else you can do.

He has MAJOR issues that you just can't fix at this point - that ship has sailed.

Pray for him and pray hard.

Establish some firm boundaries while staying emotionally supportive.

Join a support group yourself like Dollydo suggested in her post. Soberrecovery.com

Best of luck.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,759,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Honey, give it all up to God.

At this point, there is not much else you can do.

He has MAJOR issues that you just can't fix at this point - that ship has sailed.

Pray for him and pray hard.

Establish some firm boundaries while staying emotionally supportive.

Join a support group yourself like Dollydo suggested in her post. Soberrecovery.com

Best of luck.
This is a train wreck. It sure needs divine intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting