Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times

Advertisements

Here are some more interesting links:

We’re Still In the Dark About Kids and Concussions | TIME.com

The Concussion Blog | An Education and Communication Outpost from an Athletic Trainer's Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhoneychurch View Post
I just watched a movie about concussion in sports (not just football, it covered hockey and soccer as well) on Netflix, it is called "Head Games." I found it very interesting. They talked to kids playing HS sports who had already had multiple concussions, former pros with obvious cognitive issues, and parents who were struggling with whether their child's love of a sport or desire for a scholarship was worth potential issues 25 years down the road.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,980,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPosition View Post
Yes.My son will play next fall. He will be 5.
Why?

Old 10-17-2013, 03:51 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times
I love Football and played in High School, but brain concussions, spinal and back injuries are just plain scary

Old 10-17-2013, 04:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,930,526 times
Thanks for the links. The blog is very interesting.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,769,738 times
I think I will be in the minority here.

I do not believe in living in a bubble because something might happen. A long time ago, players did not wear protective gear. Some have been injured seriously, a vast majority have not.

Over the past 20 years, in my town, there has been exactly 1 injury considered serious from football and that was due to a defective piece of safety equipment.

We still get into airplanes where if something happens, we're likely to not make it out alive.
If I had sons and they wanted to play, I would let them, using all safety year, but I would still let them.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post

I do not believe in living in a bubble because something might happen. A long time ago, players did not wear protective gear. Some have been injured seriously, a vast majority have not.

Over the past 20 years, in my town, there has been exactly 1 injury considered serious from football and that was due to a defective piece of safety equipment.

We still get into airplanes where if something happens, we're likely to not make it out alive.
If I had sons and they wanted to play, I would let them, using all safety year, but I would still let them.
It's not about injury, it's about the cumulative effect of sub-clinical injury. I highly recommend reading through the thread, as a person working in the medical field I imagine you'd find it interesting.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post

Yes, I think you will be in the minority!

Regarding the bold:

No one is recommending living in a bubble. Forgoing tackle football until age 14 (as the person who wrote the Time article proposed, and having stronger safety practices is hardly "living in a bubble". The vast majority of people in traffic accidents are not seriously injured, either. But some are. That's not good scientific reasoning.

There are many programs that have not experienced significant injuries. I don't think my kids' HS program has had a bad one. However, that doesn't mean they don't happen! Also, statistics can be finagled so that a death can be attributed to "faulty equipment" when it was really due to a concussion. Here is a story about the football player for whom the Colorado concussion law was named for:

Signs weren't obvious in concussion death of Jake Snakenberg - The Denver Post

Note his death had nothing to do with poor equipment.

Here is a link to the Brain Injury Alliance of Colorado:
Concussion | Brain Injury Alliance of Colorado

Old 10-20-2013, 11:47 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,011,009 times
My five year old just finished his first year of flag football. He loved it and has already asked to play again next year. He will have two more years of flag before moving on to tackle, if he still wants to do it.

I've seen injuries in all sports...fractured skull from cheering, concussions from ice skating, etc...

Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,927,965 times
My son plays hockey and skateboards. My daughter plays soccer (goalie) and rugby.

We support them 100%.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,980,616 times
Today's news will hopefully give pause to anybody considering football for their kids. This man is 44, and a quarterback, not even a position that takes constant head blows.

Y! SPORTS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting