Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One time my mother told me:

"The first thing you should think about when you wake up every day is what you are going to fix for supper"

i almost laughed in her face. I used to stand around in the kitchen about 5:30 pm madly dashing thru cupboards, freezer, fridge muttering "What to fix. What to fix" This was when I was running kids around to after school activities and I worked.

Now even though I am much older, I still have kids at home but rarely do I have the 5:30 dash. I am using my crock pot almost 4 nights a week so I get it started right after the kids leave for school.

So when do you start preparing for supper in your mind?

And do you make a weekly menu?

I shop weekly with meals in mind but not exactly a menu except during holidays and when we have company.

I had to grin. I just read a "no kudzu" post on another thread where you defended, and rightly, a bias remark against a southern stereotype.

No, you don't all sit around playing the banjo and spitting tobacco out of toothless faces, but I do believe that the south is the only place where you would "fix" supper!

But to answer your question--my daughter is away at school and I only have to worry about me now, but when she was young and I was still married, I DID worry about what I would make for dinner early in the morning before I left for work. I had to take something out of the freezer and make a mental note if I had to stop at the store on the way home from the train and get something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
what do people in the north do about supper? prepare it? You know I never even thought about how "fix supper" might be used only in the south.

and when we get old and sick we are "fixing to die". First time I heard that was from my doctor in reference to one of his patients. I couldn't believe it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
When I had four kids to feed...I used to go shopping on Saturday night. So I could prep everything Sunday. What killed my "planning" was football practice, hockey practice, dance....running kids around...before or after dinner. Then they came home...and wanted dinner right then.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I fix supper but I make dinner.

And I rustle up a snack.

I would probably prepare a banquet.

Great. Now I'm hankerin' for some vittles.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

And I rustle up a snack.

My southern husband says "piece" like... "I'm just looking for something to piece on until dinner" I'd never heard that before I met him.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
One time my mother told me:

"The first thing you should think about when you wake up every day is what you are going to fix for supper"

i almost laughed in her face.
I would have, lol. I start thinking about dinner usually about 30 mins before it's done (if it's a simple menu).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
If it is a shopping day or on Sundays, where I cook a bigger dinner, I'll think about it in the morning. On "normal" days, about 4pm for a 6 pm dinner. Or I realise it's 6pm already and I haven't even thought let alone prepared anything, and we end up eating Stouffer's Lasagna or something. Not ashamed to admit we have a frozen dinner once or twice a week.
Nothing wrong with eating a frozen meal occasionally.

Quote:
If I'm going to chop an onion or celery I chop 2 or 3 at a time and either freeze leftovers of put in baggie for later in the week. If I'm going to go to the trouble to make chili or a complicated casserole I usually double the recipe. freezer is full. Makes perfect sense to me b/c of all the prep, and especially the big mess I make in the kitchen. Sometimes I like to cook all day on Sunday for the week.

I really don't know how our mothers did without microwave and huge freezers we have now. I don't like to cook "boxed" meals and haven't ever used hamburger helper (lord the sodium!) or mac and cheese or worse those dehydrated potatoes. I try to cook fresh every night but sometimes I just throw my hands up about 5 and say to DH "Order a pizza or pick up chinese if you want to eat tonight" He is very obliging.
I do that too. I chop a TON of veggies each week for munching.

As far as the boxed meals go, I don't think they are that big of a deal either on occasion. Hell, sometimes we get tired of healthy, and want to eat like toddlers, so we eat mac and cheese, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I totally get the freezer. But what do people use the microwave FOR? We use it to heat water for tea. And that just is not that much more convenient than a kettle.
Popcorn, drinks, defrosting, hot pockets.

Quote:
When I was cooking for 6 people I started planning my menus for the next week on Wednesday when the supermarket flyers come out. The menu was based on what was on sale. Grocery shopping was one big trip on Friday mornings. I sorted my coupons the night before. Farmer's market was on Thursdays for fresh veggies and fruits. What I bought depended on what was in season and cheap.
We do that now for the most part. I search sales, and we buy TONS of what's on sale and we have coupons for.

Then when dinner time comes, we have plenty to choose from.

Usually though, we eat late actually we just finished dinner while I was reading this thread. It took 15 mins to cook, and we thought about what we wanted around 10pm, lol!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:

And I rustle up a snack.

Oh Man. That cracked me up. I really did laugh Out Loud.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:06 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
what do people in the north do about supper? prepare it? You know I never even thought about how "fix supper" might be used only in the south.
Make dinner.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

And I rustle up a snack.

I make both supper and dinner. (Grew up saying 'supper' except on Sunday, when we had 'dinner' in the middle of the day.)) And I'm hankerin' for some vittles, too!

However they want to say it, though, I'll eat southern cooking. You know, the traditional kind that's not good for you but tastes wonderful!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
What - mentioning I'd rather chew my arm off than think about dinner all day isn't honest?
I think it is honest but I think you misunderstand those of us that take something out for dinner in the morning. I don't spend all day thinking about dinner. In the morning I think about our day, and how much time I will have to cook. I also think about what the kids activity schedule is and then take something out that will work with my schedule. I don't continue to think about it all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting