Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times

Advertisements

Most terrifying moment of my life last night. My 4 month old was in his crib and had just woken for a feeding. I went in and was changing him before giving him a bottle, and he was crying (not unusual when he's hungry). But the crying suddenly turned into "purple crying," which caused him to begin gagging. No problem... I picked him up (half dressed) to hold him upright against my shoulder, figuring gravity would help him clear his mouth/throat of phlegm. But instead, he vomitted on my shoulder. So far, this is all mostly normal parenting stuff.

But after he finished clearing his throat on my shoulder, he began struggling to catch his breath. It lasted for almost 10 seconds before he finally yelped in a huge breath. He spent the next 10 minutes in my arms trying to calm down with massively irregular breathing. I literally thought I might lose him right there in my arms.

Thankfully he did fully calm down including going back to fully regular breathing. He even took his bottle and fell back asleep with no problem only to have a normal night and look fine this morning.

What do you all think? Just a one-time situation where he got himself worked up into a fenzy and consequences followed? We tend to console him fairly quickly when he cries. We certainly never let him purple cry ever. This whole thing just happened so quickly, and literally in my arms, that I don't know what I could have done differently. Any thoughts or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 01:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Since he's 4 months old and you don't know what happened, I'd take him to the doctor and ask about it. He could have reflux or something similar. Even if it's nothing, the trip to the doctor will give you peace of mind, which is priceless.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Make an appointment with the pediatrician ASAP.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Most terrifying moment of my life last night. My 4 month old was in his crib and had just woken for a feeding. I went in and was changing him before giving him a bottle, and he was crying (not unusual when he's hungry). But the crying suddenly turned into "purple crying," which caused him to begin gagging. No problem... I picked him up (half dressed) to hold him upright against my shoulder, figuring gravity would help him clear his mouth/throat of phlegm. But instead, he vomitted on my shoulder. So far, this is all mostly normal parenting stuff.

But after he finished clearing his throat on my shoulder, he began struggling to catch his breath. It lasted for almost 10 seconds before he finally yelped in a huge breath. He spent the next 10 minutes in my arms trying to calm down with massively irregular breathing. I literally thought I might lose him right there in my arms.
I think croup or some such. Laryngospasm? Something like that maybe? Scary stuff. The doc told me that it was not really a big deal. When the child passes out, then they relax and breathing is restored. How reassuring!

Get thee to the doc and find out!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
While my gut said, one time thing and not to worry, if it was my kid, I would be at the doctor. Too many things in children that young can seem innocuous, but actually be something.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
While my gut said, one time thing and not to worry, if it was my kid, I would be at the doctor. Too many things in children that young can seem innocuous, but actually be something.
Ironic timing (maybe not so coincidental), is he was at the pediatrician the day before yesterday where he got 4 different vaccine shots. He did have some fever after the shots and was generally not feeling too hot, but by last night, he was mostly feeling better.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Ironic timing (maybe not so coincidental), is he was at the pediatrician the day before yesterday where he got 4 different vaccine shots. He did have some fever after the shots and was generally not feeling too hot, but by last night, he was mostly feeling better.
I'd mention it to the pediatrician. I'm not anti-vaccine in anyway, but he may have had a reaction, so definitely worth asking about it and getting the doctors opinion.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'd mention it to the pediatrician. I'm not anti-vaccine in anyway, but he may have had a reaction, so definitely worth asking about it and getting the doctors opinion.
+1

No harm visiting the doctor again. I will be very happy if the doctor confirms it was a one time incident. But in case if it isn't, the sooner the doctor sees it the better.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM

400 posts, read 566,507 times
I agree that since he is very little a doctor visit is in order. I do want to say though that my 3rd child (no 20 months) has always had a similar way of getting himself worked up to where he can't breath. It's scary. Usually after a fall or some kind of pain any child will suck in air and take a second to let out a wail. My son though will just keep silently sucking for air without getting any and turn purple and go from a hurt look on his face to a terrified look on his face. If I am holding him he will kick and flail like crazy like he's trying to get air. I have heard of kids actually making themselves pass out this way, (Which actually helps them because then they resume normal breathing) but I do NOT want to see my son pass out, so I use a little trick they taught in infant swim lessons where I blow in his face and some how his reaction kicks in and he gets some air. Then crying goes back to normal and he just want's hugs. I know this is a little different (he's older now) and when there is throw up or anything in the mouth it makes a big difference but I just thought it might be helpful.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Oh...he had a reaction all right!..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting