Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:38 PM

400 posts, read 566,686 times

Advertisements

So I have a big boy (22 months). He likes people. He wants to talk to everyone. But strangers are constantly telling him (or me) that he is going to be a football player. Do they think they are being original? I have heard this so many times it's difficult to even smile and nod. Neither of his parents are in to sports, but we would be up for letting him try some (maybe steer him towards something a little less dangerous). The think is he may not even be "big" when he gets older, he's just a chunky baby, and there is so much more to his personality that his adorable chub (which I don't thinks adds much skill to any particular sport). So I guess I am just venting. What comments do people make about your kids that you find less than welcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 04:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
My oldest was a very tall and big baby. We used to hear, "Why doesn't she talk yet?" "Why isn't she potty-trained yet?" "If you read to her, she'll learn to talk," and so on, when she was just about a year old, because people assumed she was so much older.

My younger daughter was very small for her age...she was still wearing 9 month clothes when she was 2 years old and people would be shocked when they heard her talk, or saw her go into a toilet stall by herself and shut the door. I used to hear people telling their own infants, "Why can't you behave yourself like that baby?" or "Look, she's already pottytrained and she's littler than you," not realizing that she was about a year older than their baby. People still talk about how small she is and it's very hurtful to her.

I don't think people realize how insensitive they're being.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
People still talk about how small she is and it's very hurtful to her.
My oldest son is about 27 months older than my middle son and people used to ask me if my kids were twins. That didn't bother me that much but when I would tell them how old they were people would go on and on about how tiny my older one was. It hurt his feelings when he was younger.

Of course now that they are done growing the younger one is about 4 inches taller than the older. I would say that my older one has adjusted to being permanently smaller but when they were little it really did hurt my son's feelings.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,265 times
How about this; I tell your son he's going to be a funeral directer.
My family has one in it's ranks.
Do you like that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
So I have a big boy (22 months). He likes people. He wants to talk to everyone. But strangers are constantly telling him (or me) that he is going to be a football player. Do they think they are being original? I have heard this so many times it's difficult to even smile and nod. Neither of his parents are in to sports, but we would be up for letting him try some (maybe steer him towards something a little less dangerous). The think is he may not even be "big" when he gets older, he's just a chunky baby, and there is so much more to his personality that his adorable chub (which I don't thinks adds much skill to any particular sport). So I guess I am just venting. What comments do people make about your kids that you find less than welcome?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:20 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,800,231 times
Some people thought my boys were a bit backward, slow learners. They were actually pretty advanced developmentally, especially the elder, but they were big, much bigger than other babies and toddlers their age.
It bothered me, till I realized they were comparing my child to their own children who were sometimes a year or more older.
By the time my second son came along, I'd I'd learned to throw his age into the conversation. People would then realize he wasn't backward at all.

People just automatically throw in that 'he's going to be a football player" if the kid is big. If he's tall and slender, you hear basketball tossed around. My youngest has, and had as a baby, long, slender fingers. I'd often hear "he's going to be a baseball pitcher".

With little girls it was always "she's going to break hearts". My pretty, dainty little princess turned into one tough cookie.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:21 PM

400 posts, read 566,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
How about this; I tell your son he's going to be a funeral directer.
My family has one in it's ranks.
Do you like that one?
ha! well at least it would be original and let him know he had options!! And since you'd probably be the only one saying it, I doubt it would ring in either of our ears

Old 06-15-2012, 04:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,265 times
Well good then!

He'll earn a decent 6 figure income and won't be tossing a football around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
ha! well at least it would be original and let him know he had options!! And since you'd probably be the only one saying it, I doubt it would ring in either of our ears

Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,080 times
I know this sounds trite, but when my oldest was a baby, everyone gushed over him (usually calling him a "her") and said how beautiful he was. Every. Single. Person. We were (and are) happy with our beautiful boy, but there got to be a point when we thought we would slug the next person who said it.

Since then, I don't pay much attention to what people say. Our life is very wonderful and blessed.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
Some people thought my boys were a bit backward, slow learners. They were actually pretty advanced developmentally, especially the elder, but they were big, much bigger than other babies and toddlers their age.
It bothered me, till I realized they were comparing my child to their own children who were sometimes a year or more older.
By the time my second son came along, I'd I'd learned to throw his age into the conversation. People would then realize he wasn't backward at all.

People just automatically throw in that 'he's going to be a football player" if the kid is big. If he's tall and slender, you hear basketball tossed around. My youngest has, and had as a baby, long, slender fingers. I'd often hear "he's going to be a baseball pitcher".

With little girls it was always "she's going to break hearts". My pretty, dainty little princess turned into one tough cookie.

Alas, sometimes it never ends. I am 53 years old. Last month I got on the subway and some doofus looked at me and said, "Do you play basketball?"

I think people are just trying to say something friendly and positive about other people's kids because let's face it, it's obvious that everyone thinks their kids is the cutest, smartest baby that ever peed in its diaper. They're looking for something to say that will sound favorable.

On the other hand, they may be trying to cover up their thoughts, as in the stories about the big babies. I remember my neighbor had a grandchild that used to come over when they had family parties, and the kid was very big, like a husky four-year-old, but walking around in a giant diaper and sucking on a pacifier. I thought he was "slow". Even worse, sometimes they called this kid by his first name and other times by his middle name, so I thought for a while there were two of them like that in the family. Finally someone mentioned his age, and it turned out he was only two years old, just very large for his age.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I know this sounds trite, but when my oldest was a baby, everyone gushed over him (usually calling him a "her") and said how beautiful he was. Every. Single. Person. We were (and are) happy with our beautiful boy, but there got to be a point when we thought we would slug the next person who said it.

Since then, I don't pay much attention to what people say. Our life is very wonderful and blessed.
Old ladies used to stop in the supermarket and tell me what a wonderful-shaped head my daughter had. I would respond, "C-section baby!" Then they would tell me she should be wearing a hat.

The only other thing that EVERYONE said--and still does--is that after studying my face closely, they would say, "She must look like her father." Weirdly, she doesn't look that much like him either, but she looks a lot like one of his sisters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting