Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:29 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times

Advertisements

I can't even imagine someone not switching to let a parent sit with his/her young child! When my son and husband flew last month, DS was concerned about it (he's 11), and DH said, "if it happens, just turn to the guy next to you and say, 'I think I might throw up.' He'll switch with me, don't you worry." LOL! As it was, they were seated together.

We started flying with the kids when they were babies, and haven't had a real problem. Our first long flight was to Germany when DS was 6 and DD was 4. She went a little bonkers on the way home. There was really nothing we could do about it, as it was an 8 hour flight and we were over the Atlantic at the time. (By bonkers, I mean that she was crying and lap-hopping between me and my husband.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
My children flew with us once a year from the time that they were infants. We never had any major problems.

Well,...there was the time that DS was four and stuck a toy in the slot where the tray table connected to the armrest (we were in bulkhead seats). I knew that the plane couldn't take off without all the tray tables down so I threw DD baby blanket over it and sort of leaned over so the stewardess wouldn't see it. After we were in the air I managed to get the toy out.

...and then there was the time that our connecting flight was cancelled and I was traveling alone with an 11 month old and a five year old. I was carrying my purse, diaper bag, carry-on bag and the baby. I was so overwhelmed that I just walked to the head of the line and begged them to find us another flight. I was so worked up that it didn't even realize that i had cut in line until it was all over. Of course, airlines don't want to have a crying, young mother with two kids scare all of their other passengers.

...once DS was flying by himself at about 9 years old. For some reason they moved him from coach to first class. I wondered if the businessman sitting next to him was a jerk and the stewardesses felt it was payback (but I don't think that my son bothered him, unless having a 9 year old playing with wrestling fiqures would be a bother).

A few, small new toys and new books helped a lot.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
Benedryl Works awesome!

Old 07-22-2012, 03:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Benedryl Works awesome!
Not always.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Benedryl Works awesome!
A word of warning about giving any medication to a child when flying, be sure to try it out a few days before the scheduled trip. It is not uncommon for children to experience a paradoxical reaction to medicine, ie. opposite to the desired effect. It would be awkward to have your 3 year-old doing to can-can up and down the aisles on an overnight flight.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:41 PM

705 posts, read 1,758,834 times
If the child is young enough to sit in their own carseat, that is the very best thing to do - familiar surroundings and they are buckled in. Only works with a true carseast, not a booster.

Went to Scotland from Texas when my son was a year old. I got a fishing vest that had a ton of pockets, and loaded the pockets with different snacks and little toys/books that he had never seen before. Finding them in the vest was part of the fun, then playing with the item and putting it back....it worked pretty well.

Airlines have been known to separate older kids from parents, but I've never heard of an airline separating a baby/toddler (like a child under 7 or so); I just don't think that would happen.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Benedryl Works awesome!
Wow. I bought some Benedryl recently, and there is a note on the box that says "Do not administer to a child in order to induce sleep." I wondered who would do that. Now I know!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
We flew with our child from an early age. I think there's a period there between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 where it's more difficult (although will vary by kid) since they're old enough not to be as easily distracted or soothed, and still need diapers, have legs long enough to kick seats, etc. But I wouldn't let fear of flying with a child keep you away from travel. For what it's worth, I traveled solo with my son on a long international trip when he was 3 1/2, and that was incredibly easy, definitely easier than it had been for short domestic (US) flights even a year earlier.

I agree with those who complain about new airline policies and tendencies to make life with a kid on an airplane as unpleasant as possible. I've never had trouble getting seats moved so that a parent could sit next to our child, but have heard stories where this is not the case. Flying international is much better, usually. American airlines seem to be the worst, and at least they have more competition on the international flights. I've only been on a few internal European flights with a young kid, but those were fine. We're past the stroller age now, but I also hated how many airlines these days don't let families pre-board. It was stressful to have to either fold up the stroller at the gate while the line backed up behind us, but the option of trying to carry a stroller, a toddler or baby, and diaper bag to the plane was also slow and impractical.

Still, often planes are the best or only way to get to where you need to go, so if you need to do it you just do it. The era of air travel as pleasurable has passed, but even the most unpleasant flights don't last forever. And most flights will be fine, even if as a parent you spend much of it worrying about keeping your child entertained and quiet. Bring stuff to do or look at, extra clothes for your child and for you (in case of spills, accidents, etc.), snacks, a spill-proof cup, and just try to relax. And think of it like this: worst case scenario it's a terrible flight experience. Do the best you can, and realize that you'll never see those people again. But the odds are that while it can be stressful to fly with a young child, it probably won't be as bad as you imagine. And presumably worth it to get to wherever you're going. Good luck!

ETA: check with your airline for specifics on what you can and can't bring on board. Air France didn't want us to gate-check a stroller, for example (although let me bring it on in the end because it was small enough to fit in the overhead bin and there was room available). If you can, I think it's easiest to bring a stroller with you to the gate and remove your child at the last minute. (much easier to move through a bustling airport with a toddler in a stroller, and you can hang your bags on it).

Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We have flown with our boys from when they were very young. My oldest who is now 13 has crossed the atlantic so many times i cant remember. The first time he was 6 months old. My youngest who is 12, started flying at 18 months old. We do it at least once a year, sometimes a lot more.

I swore on benedryl just before taking off esp on an overnight flight. I also gave it to them on the afternoon flight just to take the edge off them. I would never normally give it to them but the doctor recommended it.

My kids are wonderful travellers ; I ahve flown alone with them as toddlers many times. Just bring the stroller to the gate ; thats what I always did. Bring a sippy cup for the take off and landing. Bring a change of clothes for you and the baby. Now at this age and with their experience, I dont worry if we dont sit together as I know they will be ok.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow. I bought some Benedryl recently, and there is a note on the box that says "Do not administer to a child in order to induce sleep." I wondered who would do that. Now I know!
I'm certainly not the only one. It works for me so what does it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting