Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,490,917 times

Advertisements

About 2 years ago, after Halloween was over, my sister went to Walmart or Target or someplace like that and bought just about all the leftover costumes. They were all dirt cheap, as the stores are just trying to get rid of them at that point. So she has a huge bin full of costumes that we go over and pick from. And since her kids are all much older, the costumes are pretty much all at my dd's disposal. I haven't paid a dime for a costume since. She picks out a costume from her auntie's bin, I do her hair and makeup, and she's ready to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,290,039 times
I bought a few when they were little, cutsie stuff just mostly for me to admire . They always prefered real clothing that can be put together and double as a costume. Leotards, hooodies or maybe just a hat or prop they could hold, pieces of a sports uniform or whatever. I miss them dressing up.

Last year my 21 year old son went to a party in one of his fancy suits but when he pulled out this shiny object suddenly he was Dr Who. Hahaha!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:37 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,758,352 times
We buy a new costume every year, I like to make a lot of stuff homemade but costumes is definitely not one of those things. When DS was younger I picked his costumes but the last few years he's picked his own.

He's allowed to be whatever he wants but the one rule is he can't pick what that is until we're at the store buying the costume. That way he only picks what they actually have in stock, I'm not running around town or scouring the internet for some obscure costume.

During Halloween we usually use the costume 3 or 4 times for different events and parties and after halloween they go in his dress up closet in his playroom. They've gotten a TON of use over the years.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:51 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,441,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
For all parents out there, do you buy a costume for a LO EVERY YEAR? If so, how do you get to choose or decide which costume to go for?
I could do Sheriff, the boy Zombie

Wife keeps saying NO

Old 09-30-2012, 03:50 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,507,813 times
When my kids were at the ages to go out trick-or-treating I would buy their costumes at the store, although a few times we ordered them online. I let them choose what they wanted, but it had to be something I approved of.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,352,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
For all parents out there, do you buy a costume for a LO EVERY YEAR? If so, how do you get to choose or decide which costume to go for?
Since they were old enough to say what they wanted to be, I let them choose. When they were babies I went for cheesy, cute costumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Well, IF it IS 'little one'...

no, I did not buy one every year. I made one.

(I have been on boards since the days of DOS and the only time I saw that abbreviation is on food boards, and it means LeftOvers.)
I've been on boards for almost 10 years and LO is a very common acronym on parenting boards.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I don't make costumes because I can't. With my youngest, I buy him one every year. I let him go through a catalog and choose one. They're usually about $40 each, but I can turn around and consign them for $25 or so.

They only want to trick or treat for a few years, so I don't mind paying and just let him be what he wants to be.

He's 8 now, and he's less into "themes," so he's not as into the catalog costumes. Last year he just wore his football uniform. He thought carrying candy in his helmet would be a great idea, but I brought a bag along anyway.

I missed this the first time around. You might be surprised how long your kid wants to Trick or Treat. Many kids do it through middle school, at least. The older they get though, the less fancy the costume. We've had older kids show up in no costume, with a pillowcase for the candy.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,437,832 times
yes

Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 PM

229 posts, read 372,149 times
I buy every year, as long as it's $25 or less. If the costume requires any accessories, I make do with what we already have around the house. ie: This year she wants to go as Alice from Alice in Wonderland... we went to a Halloween store and she got to pick out her costume, but she will be wearing my black headband, her white tights from dance class, and the black shoes she already has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting