Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:57 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times

Advertisements

Never let any of my three girls cry it out other than for a few minutes if I was in the shower or cooking dinner and couldn't get to them right away.

All three slept through the night fairly early: 6 weeks, 2 months, and 4 months. None of them have ever gotten up in the middle of the night unless they were sick or had a nightmare. The only sleep problem has been getting the older two to go to bed early enough on school nights.

They are all happy, self-confident girls. I can't imagine that letting a baby cry and cry while being ignored would help their social/emotional development.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Never let any of my three girls cry it out other than for a few minutes if I was in the shower or cooking dinner and couldn't get to them right away.

All three slept through the night fairly early: 6 weeks, 2 months, and 4 months. None of them have ever gotten up in the middle of the night unless they were sick or had a nightmare. The only sleep problem has been getting the older two to go to bed early enough on school nights.

They are all happy, self-confident girls. I can't imagine that letting a baby cry and cry while being ignored would help their social/emotional development.
What is your understanding of CIO?

Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Hasn't anyone ever seen Super Nanny?

It is only a few minutes that your child cries without you going in the room. Of course, she is usually working with children at least a year old.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:35 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
What's interesting is that the sleeping issue seems to be paradoxical. Based on what little I've read babies shouldn't be placed on their bellies without supervision because they sleep so deeply they wouldn't wake themselves up if they started to suffocate. But, then babies aren't necessarily sleeping either. I guess this is about melatonin? They are unable to sleep for a great length of time because of melatonin, but when do sleep they're out?

Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What's interesting is that the sleeping issue seems to be paradoxical. Based on what little I've read babies shouldn't be placed on their bellies without supervision because they sleep so deeply they wouldn't wake themselves up if they started to suffocate. But, then babies aren't necessarily sleeping either. I guess this is about melatonin? They are unable to sleep for a great length of time because of melatonin, but when do sleep they're out?
I'm confused. Babies are supposed to be placed on their backs to sleep, until they are old enough to be able to roll themselves over both ways independently. In CIO, the baby (6m+) is placed in the crib awake but drowsy, on his/her back, same as co-sleeping, I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong)? Part of sleeping "through" is also about neurological development and there's a big range of what is considered normal. Another part is how large the baby's stomach is, what he/she is eating and how long he/she stays full between feelings.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 09-16-2012 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I'm confused. Babies are supposed to be placed on their backs to sleep, until they are old enough to be able to roll themselves over both ways independently. In CIO, the baby (6m+) is placed in the crib awake but drowsy, on his/her back, same as co-sleeping, I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong)? Part of sleeping "through" is also about neurological development and there's a big range of what is considered normal. Another part is how large the baby's stomach is, what he/she is eating and how long he/she stays full between feelings.
I'm not sure why you're confused. Is that because CIO doesn't apply to infants <6 mo and tummy sleeping isn't a concern >6 mo? I don't know when folk start the CIO techniques. I think my gf did it somewhat when her kid was 4 mo, but I may not be remembering that correctly.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Its like you didn't even bother to read the study/research noted in this thread.

and thats WHY we study things, as noted at the start of this thread. We study things because humans are flawed, fallacious, and often wrong. We shape reality in our minds, and can live in a reality that is nothing like the actual one.

People couldn't imagine a earth that was round until not to long ago. What you imagine should be separated from what we study and determine.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm not sure why you're confused. Is that because CIO doesn't apply to infants <6 mo and tummy sleeping isn't a concern >6 mo? I don't know when folk start the CIO techniques. I think my gf did it somewhat when her kid was 4 mo, but I may not be remembering that correctly.
I am confused about introducing tummy sleeping vs. back sleeping into whether one co-sleeps or CIO. They are two separate issues.

Back sleeping is recommended (at present) to reduce to risk of SIDS: HealthyChildren.org - Sleep Position: Why Back is Best

Back sleeping is recommended through the first year of life, or upon consultation with the pediatrician after the child can roll themselves over both ways independently in their sleep.

Either way, CIO involves putting the baby on his/her back to sleep. Do you see why I am confused? Unless you are saying that while on his/her own, the baby might turn onto the tummy?

CIO tends not to be recommended under the age of 6 months.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
and thats WHY we study things, as noted at the start of this thread. We study things because humans are flawed, fallacious, and often wrong. We shape reality in our minds, and can live in a reality that is nothing like the actual one.

People couldn't imagine a earth that was round until not to long ago. What you imagine should be separated from what we study and determine.
Are there studies that show it ndeed helps emotional/intellectual development?

Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I am confused about introducing tummy sleeping vs. back sleeping into whether one co-sleeps or CIO. They are two separate issues.
I'm not combining the issues of CIO and sleep style. I'm curious as to what is going on in an infants brain that both induces very deep sleep (deeper than that of adults) but also limits sleep time.

Quote:
sleeping is recommended (at present) to reduce to risk of SIDS: HealthyChildren.org - Sleep Position: Why Back is Best

Back sleeping is recommended through the first year of life, or upon consultation with the pediatrician after the child can roll themselves over both ways independently in their sleep.

Either way, CIO involves putting the baby on his/her back to sleep. Do you see why I am confused? Unless you are saying that while on his/her own, the baby might turn onto the tummy?

CIO tends not to be recommended under the age of 6 months.
Um, I already mentioned the same reasoning noted in the article you linked a couple of posts ago. Sorry to have confused you. I'm just trying to grasp the physiology, the brain chemistry here. What's waking these babies during the night. Somebody mentioned a lack melatonin earlier. If that accounts for the limited time, what accounts for deep sleep?

eta: I happened to see this up close a few weeks ago. My BIL has an infant. He sleeps better on his belly, which got me thinking, and he also slept through my min pin's incessant yapping. I was very worried about the dog waking the baby, but the baby didn't budge. This baby is also up all night long. I found it to be interesting and it caused me to start googling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.