Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I have to say this made me chuckle. Have you ever watched 3 and 4 year olds "play" t-ball or soccer? It is hysterical, a giant game of every person on the field chasing the ball in mass chaos! Do some parents start their children in sports hoping they will be prodigies? I'm sure. Most of us with kids this age in sports (my oldest is 4) could not care less if our kids continue in organized sports - it's about socialization, learning to take instructions from a coach, and working as part of a team, all while getting some exercise and fun. I do not see too many parents of 4 year olds worried about their kids' edge (my understanding is that type of crazy behavior comes after the kids are in competitive leagues). In all honesty, if half the team can run in a straight line by the end of a season, it is considered an accomplishment!
I'm sure it's funny but the point is, those kids had years on mine when it came time to try out for the team. Being an older parent, I didn't get the memo that I was supposed to start my children's training early. I just laughed at the parents running themselves ragged going from game to game until I realized that my kids didn't have a chance of making the team. They may not have played well at 3 and 4 but the experience they gained at 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 gained them a spot on the team.

Personally, I don't like this but if you don't play along, you place your kids at a disadvantage that they may not be able to recover from. Fortunately, both of my kids found things to do in high school but neither is anywhere near as good as their teammates who have been practicing since they could toddle out on the field. Dd#2 came right out and asked me why I didn't MAKE her do gymnastics when she was young so she could be as good as the other girls on the squad. I didn't realize the rules had changed and they have. What once was done to give your child an advantage now must be done just to keep up because so many do it. Sadly, I think the kids lose with this harried lifestyle. Ddil's kids run from here to there all the time with 4 of them involved in activities. It's a sad but necessary part of life now. Kids can't just be kids. They have to be in training from the time they can walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 01:17 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm sure it's funny but the point is, those kids had years on mine when it came time to try out for the team. Being an older parent, I didn't get the memo that I was supposed to start my children's training early. I just laughed at the parents running themselves ragged going from game to game until I realized that my kids didn't have a chance of making the team. They may not have played well at 3 and 4 but the experience they gained at 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 gained them a spot on the team.

Personally, I don't like this but if you don't play along, you place your kids at a disadvantage that they may not be able to recover from. Fortunately, both of my kids found things to do in high school but neither is anywhere near as good as their teammates who have been practicing since they could toddle out on the field.
I see what you are saying, I just disagree. At three and four, it's not about honing technique, it's about figuring out how to run the bases in order and in the proper direction, how to get little Jimmy to stop picking his nose long enough to put his glove on, and little Susie to swing the bat at the tee instead of her brother. Ostensibly, these are things even an 8 year old without sports experience is going to know. Maybe it changes by the time school-age rolls around, but at the young ages it is about fun and socialization, not training them for high school or the major leagues.

Although, anecdotally, my younger brother had the same experience of taking up lacrosse at the high school level for the first time as maciesmom reported up thread. He also had some crazy parents on the Williamsport little league team (probably around 9 or 10 yo) who were convinced their child was definitely going to the majors, and this was awhile ago.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:18 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
Our school district is pretty much thebtop rated for almost every imaginable sport the schools offer, our state tests scores are always the best in our area.. It is a tough district and exteemely ,extremely competetive, especially in the athletic dept.
When we were relocated here, I researched all the districts and picked this one because of it's large diversity factor but also because of it's school rankings....
Had I known however, the emphasis put on the athletics, I probably would not have been so enthusiastic. Our youngest p,ays soccer & softball because she absolutely LOVES it and if I can say , she is pretry darn good ! BUT, our oldest doesn't want anything to do with playing any sport. We have encouraged her to just try, but it isn't her thing & we refuse to force it on her.
She dances and is in Girl scouts, that's her thing....
When we moved here, I was amazed at the number of people that asked " What" sport does your child play instead of " DOES"
Your child play...?
My oldest is certainly of the minority here , very few of her friends's aren't involved in Either soccer,field hockey,volleyball or swimming....
I feel sometimes that I have to explain or justify why she doesn't play, but thankfully, she is confident enough to just say " I don't like it, it is boring" yaaaaaa!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Do you make your children participate in some type of sport?

Do they enjoy it?
I require that my children participate in some sort of organized athletic activity, but it doesn't have to be a competitive or team sport. The choice is left up to them, and I do believe they enjoy their choices.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:59 PM

831 posts, read 1,583,180 times
My 4 year old does gymnastics. She totally loves it. She goes 9 hours a week, and would go more if the would let her. My 13 year old is not into sports at all, never has been. She does hop on our treadmill 4-5 times a week and has said she may want to do a 5k in the next year.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Never required my children to participate in sports or other activities. I did require that they follow through if they chose to participate.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Yes, of course we will 'make him' do sports.
Martial arts is a no brainer.
Running, calesthenics - no option.

Other sports will be his choice and based on his talents and what he likes to do.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Personally, I don't like this but if you don't play along, you place your kids at a disadvantage that they may not be able to recover from. Fortunately, both of my kids found things to do in high school but neither is anywhere near as good as their teammates who have been practicing since they could toddle out on the field. Dd#2 came right out and asked me why I didn't MAKE her do gymnastics when she was young so she could be as good as the other girls on the squad. I didn't realize the rules had changed and they have. What once was done to give your child an advantage now must be done just to keep up because so many do it. Sadly, I think the kids lose with this harried lifestyle. Ddil's kids run from here to there all the time with 4 of them involved in activities. It's a sad but necessary part of life now. Kids can't just be kids. They have to be in training from the time they can walk.
I gotta agree with this one. Those children that have been playing competitvely since they were 4 - are going to have an advantage over someone just starting at age 12. UNLESS, they are absolutely burnt out by age 12 - which can also happen.

The rules have changed but I figured that out early on. Well - not soon enough with swimming.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,196 times
I agree with Ivoytickler- I do remember reading that it's much harder for teens over 13 to learn how to play sports and instruments, I think the earlier , you encourage or teach, the better the results.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, of course we will 'make him' do sports.
Martial arts is a no brainer.
Running, calesthenics - no option.

Other sports will be his choice and based on his talents and what he likes to do.

I disagree, not every child is physically inclined, you can't make him participate in it, especially if he has no interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting