Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times

Advertisements

The entire spanking issue aside on this thread:

If you smack anyone in a public place, best believe someone can and will take note, and sometimes that means law enforcement will be involved.

If you don't want the police involved? Don't smack people in public (yes that includes your child).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
People advocate spanking and in the same breath claim that kids are out of control in school.

Spanking a kid is low-level discipline. I'm not a psychologist, but there are plenty of studies out there that track kids' development with and without corporal punishment. Why do people insist on saying they turned out great? It's pretty obvious, even on an anonymous board, who didn't turn out great. Even if you think you turned out great, you'll never know if you could have been better sans the spankings.
Spanking is a centuries old tradition, it is not some new evil idea. If a parent can't tell the difference between an appropriate slap on the bottom and child abuse, then, by all means, they should probably never lay a hand on a kid because they simply don't understand.

Why do people insist they turned out great? Probably because they did turn out great. It's at the other end of the spectrum where kids turn out horrible, the extreme where they don't receive discipline that is effective and they never learn self discipline or control. Kids who never had any rules or punishments--those are the kids who have no respect for others and do whatever they want.

If you were a teacher and you got a few of those undisciplined kids in your classroom, you wouldn't even be able to teach the class anything because you'd be so busy trying to teach proper behavior to kids who didn't learn it at home.

Believe me, there are many, many generations of people who lived before you and were spanked. They turned out fine. They weren't in jail or on drugs. One reason is that they were taught, not only by spanking when appropriate but by other means that worked for them. We are not talking about child abuse and this idea that spanking a child=child abuse is over the top crazy.

p.s. for the guy who wants to beat up his kid for throwing a tantrum, that IS child abuse. Do you see the difference? That guy obviously has an anger problem, based upon his other posts, and can't control himself.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
So a white lady saw my friend slap her son yesterday, in the train station.
I did not see this brought up yet, but outside the ACS issue and punishment in public issue...

Why would anyone strike a child in the face with force? What we know now about the ease of causing brain damage with blows to the head over time, why would a parent do an act so highly likely to cause permanent injury? Even a fairly light slap can cause a contra-concussion in an adult. A hard blow delivered while in strong emotion to a child? Extremely high chance of a concussion (not to mention the risk of breaking facial bones).

Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM

571 posts, read 1,201,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Spanking is a centuries old tradition, it is not some new evil idea. If a parent can't tell the difference between an appropriate slap on the bottom and child abuse, then, by all means, they should probably never lay a hand on a kid because they simply don't understand.

Why do people insist they turned out great? Probably because they did turn out great. It's at the other end of the spectrum where kids turn out horrible, the extreme where they don't receive discipline that is effective and they never learn self discipline or control. Kids who never had any rules or punishments--those are the kids who have no respect for others and do whatever they want.

If you were a teacher and you got a few of those undisciplined kids in your classroom, you wouldn't even be able to teach the class anything because you'd be so busy trying to teach proper behavior to kids who didn't learn it at home.

Believe me, there are many, many generations of people who lived before you and were spanked. They turned out fine. They weren't in jail or on drugs. One reason is that they were taught, not only by spanking when appropriate but by other means that worked for them. We are not talking about child abuse and this idea that spanking a child=child abuse is over the top crazy.

p.s. for the guy who wants to beat up his kid for throwing a tantrum, that IS child abuse. Do you see the difference? That guy obviously has an anger problem, based upon his other posts, and can't control himself.

1) I was a teacher in inner-city high schools, so I've worked with all kids. You never stoop to a kid's level. Raise your voice and they'll raise theirs. Spank and they'll hit (not toward the parent, but to others). Those that think they are making the lives of teachers easier by spanking at home have it wrong. You are raising impulsive kids that lack self esteem.
2) I myself was spanked. Sure, it didn't turn me into a criminal, but it was not the most effective. I lashed out at my siblings physically all the time.
3) As a parent of four, the only one I spanked was my first. I realized after the first spanking that it did nothing. There are more effective ways. (I'll point out that my kids don't hit each other.) But as other posters have pointed out, those other discipline methods take more patience and time (and education).
4) Sure spanking has been the default parenting method since the beginning of mankind. Today we have studies to examine the effects of many human behaviors. Those that want to ignore the effects of spanking can continue to use primitive methods of discipline - just don't expect others to applaud you.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I did not see this brought up yet, but outside the ACS issue and punishment in public issue...

Why would anyone strike a child in the face with force? What we know now about the ease of causing brain damage with blows to the head over time, why would a parent do an act so highly likely to cause permanent injury? Even a fairly light slap can cause a contra-concussion in an adult. A hard blow delivered while in strong emotion to a child? Extremely high chance of a concussion (not to mention the risk of breaking facial bones).
I just re-read the OP thinking I had missed something.

Where did you get that the child was slapped in the face? It didn't say that.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
Doesn't mean everyone else is abusing their kids!!!!!
Perhaps not EVERYONE but . . .more likely is fair, based on Evidence/research

The Effects of the "No Spanking Law" on Child Abuse in Sweden - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Btw your story? no sympathy here. I mean hauling off ans HITTING your son isn't spanking. . .

Maybe she learned her lesson. Either way no sympathy here.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
I hope the below doesn't mean your a teacher. . .hate to think that lack of logic is what we teach people

Appeal to tradition is not a logical argument. It has no basis. Appeal to tradition doesn't change the fact that something is or should be right or wrong. It has no impact on evidence. It is really. . for all intents and purposes . . .irrelevant

Tradition also says the world was flat, slavery was okay, killing people for stealing - no problem, and if you work on Saturday you get put to death. Just because we survived these things, isn't justification that they are okay and should be condoned.

Appeal to tradition (also known as proof from tradition, appeal to common practice, argumentum ad antiquitatem) is a common fallacy in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it correlates with some past or present tradition. The appeal takes the form of "this is right because we've always done it this way." - Wikipedia.

Quote:

Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I just re-read the OP thinking I had missed something.

Where did you get that the child was slapped in the face? It didn't say that.
You're right, it didn't say that. But common usage has a slap on the face as "a slap", and a slap on the body as "a smack", hence the person's post.

But you're right, its not clear.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:49 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,608 times
Quote:
Spanking is a centuries old tradition, it is not some new evil idea.
You're right, it is a centuries old idea. As is the right of a husband to spank his wife for disobeying, or his slave for disobeying him. After all, all those wives and slaves turned out just fine, and really, it's the only efficient way to keep them under control. Ah, the halcyon days of Dickens, when everyone was perfect because they were raised right.

Quote:
Yes, but why are you ignoring the 99% in the middle who use normal methods of discipline?

Quote:
Huh, I never knew that!!! I'd always been taught that my country was started as a penal colony, but they must have been lying, because there was no need for jails then. Crazy! I wonder what they're trying to hide?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
You're right, it is a centuries old idea. As is the right of a husband to spank his wife for disobeying, or his slave for disobeying him. After all, all those wives and slaves turned out just fine, and really, it's the only efficient way to keep them under control. Ah, the halcyon days of Dickens, when everyone was perfect because they were raised right.

Yes, but why are you ignoring the 99% in the middle who use normal methods of discipline?

Huh, I never knew that!!! I'd always been taught that my country was started as a penal colony, but they must have been lying, because there was no need for jails then. Crazy! I wonder what they're trying to hide?

You say 99% in the middle use normal discipline. Normal discipline by your standards then seems to have been a complete failure. All you have to do is look at the little animals running around today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting