Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times

Advertisements

It's trendy these days among certain kinds of parents to avoid saying "no" - just re-direct the child to something else. But a discussion on another thread really drives home the importance of saying "no" to young children as opposed to just diverting them to other interests or activities.

A child should learn from an early age that he can't have his way all the time. Parents should actively teach this. Some examples:

1. Place some candy on the coffee table. Tell your 2 y/o that the candy isn't for him. Watch him try to grab it. Tell him not to grab it. When he grabs it anyway, swat his hand. Tell him to put it down, or calmly take it away. Don't give him anything else to make him happy (but do let him find something else on his own). Let him just meditate on the fact that no means no and he can't have what he wants at this time.

2. Give your 3 y/o a toy and let him play with it for a while. While he's enjoying himself, tell him to give the toy to someone else. If he refuses, give him a little swat or two and calmly take the toy away. Don't give him anything else to appease his anger (but once again, do allow him to move on to something else if he chooses). Let him think about that fact that sometimes he can't have the toy he wants. And make sure he's not allowed to throw a physical tantrum.

Repeat these and similar set-ups as needed.

It won't take long to see your child's behavior improve, even when you're not around anymore.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 09-23-2012 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
set up is the perfect term for it. there will be enough REAL opportunities not to have to set up a toddler. I believe in saying NO when and where it is appropriate and quite frankly think there is too much "Now Bobby what did i say" over and over again. But I don't think a swat or two is appropriate unless the kid is in danger of being hurt.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
I find toddlers to be like cats- Saying No in a stern voice gets their attention, they really don't like loud voices.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Poor kid is going to end up w/ a really red hand from all of the hand swats.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
set up is the perfect term for it. there will be enough REAL opportunities not to have to set up a toddler. I believe in saying NO when and where it is appropriate and quite frankly think there is too much "Now Bobby what did i say" over and over again. But I don't think a swat or two is appropriate unless the kid is in danger of being hurt.
Yes, there are enough real opportunities. Good point. But setting things up keeps the parent from being lazy and taking the easy way out with diversion.

I think you could accomplish the same thing without the swats. But the advantage of swats is that it gives a little more gravitas to the parental "no", which is important in other contexts.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
Poor kid is going to end up w/ a really red hand from all of the hand swats.
Not so. It only take one or two at any given time. And if he still doesn't get it by three or four (highly unlikely), you've made the the point and can just keep the candy or toys away.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I find toddlers to be like cats- Saying No in a stern voice gets their attention, they really don't like loud voices.
My oldest seldom required more than a stern look. Besides, yelling at kids is worse than spanking in my opinion.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
It's trendy these days among certain kinds of parents to avoid saying "no" - just re-direct the child to something else. But a discussion on another thread really drives home the importance of saying "no" to young children as opposed to just diverting them to other interests or activities.

A child should learn from an early age that he can't have his way all the time. Parents should actively teach this. Some examples:

1. Place some candy on the coffee table. Tell your 2 y/o that the candy isn't for him.
Set your child up for certain failure so that you may have the pleasure of smacking his ass. Real life does not work like that. I have no problem with No. But life has enough situations in it for them to learn from that you don't have to set them up for a power display.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-24-2012 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: deleted rude comment

Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

1. Place some candy on the coffee table. Tell your 2 y/o that the candy isn't for him. Watch him try to grab it. Tell him not to grab it. When he grabs it anyway, swat his hand. Tell him to put it down, or calmly take it away. Don't give him anything else to make him happy (but do let him find something else on his own). Let him just meditate on the fact that no means no and he can't have what he wants at this time.

2. Give your 3 y/o a toy and let him play with it for a while. While he's enjoying himself, tell him to give the toy to someone else. If he refuses, give him a little swat or two and calmly take the toy away. Don't give him anything else to appease his anger (but once again, do allow him to move on to something else if he chooses). Let him think about that fact that sometimes he can't have the toy he wants. And make sure he's not allowed to throw a physical tantrum.

Repeat these and similar set-ups as needed.

It won't take long to see your child's behavior improve, even when you're not around anymore.

Doesn't sound like a recipe for a peaceful home life to me, for either the parent or the child. Teasing isn't nice, no matter what the end goal is, and that's what this "helpful" hint advocates.

Do we really need another thread on smacking kids around?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Set your child up for certain failure so that you may have the pleasure of smacking his ass. Real life does not work like that. I have no problem with No. But life has enough situations in it for them to learn from that you don't have to set them up for a power display.
You hit the nail right on the head.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-24-2012 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: removed reference to deleted comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting